PDA

View Full Version : V7 Gas Tube

RedTeam98
04-16-22, 08:49
Is the V7 gas tube worth the money ?
I am going to replacing my front sight on my Colt Carbine with a folding Yankee Hill Sight and was thinking about upgrading the gas tube.

georgeib
04-16-22, 09:21
No, it isn't. Don't waste your money and just go with milspec.

04-16-22, 09:56
The Colt front sight is superior to the YHM one, and the Colt gas tube is more than adequate. I’d only change either if I had a reason, such as installing a longer rail or the nub on the gas tube being worn.

RedTeam98
04-16-22, 10:58
I tried to find a Colt folding front sight but was unable. I received my YHM folding front sight I have not installed it yet but appears to be well made. I did upgrade the gas tube with a WMD tube and passed on the V7 tube.

Leonidas24
04-16-22, 15:15
I tried to find a Colt folding front sight but was unable. I received my YHM folding front sight I have not installed it yet but appears to be well made. I did upgrade the gas tube with a WMD tube and passed on the V7 tube.

I wouldn't call that an "upgrade." More of a lateral step to the right or left, and maybe a half step back.

titsonritz
04-18-22, 13:00
Give A.R.M.S. a call and see if they have one of their folding front sight #41 B-L-P still laying around.

RedTeam98
04-18-22, 13:14
Give A.R.M.S. a call and see if they have one of their folding front sight #41 B-L-P still laying around.
I went with the YHM folding sight gas block with lug
I do not like or prefer the ARMS 41 sight

markm
04-18-22, 13:17
The only reason to use a non-Colt gas tube would be if you needed a BRT tube to reduce over gassing.

RedTeam98
04-18-22, 13:26
The only reason to use a non-Colt gas tube would be if you needed a BRT tube to reduce over gassing.

I went with the WMD Nitromet tube same as I have on my MK 12.

LookAtYourself
04-19-22, 04:44
FWIW, i heard that the standard milspec gas tube is supposed to be the part that is sacrificed during long strings of fire that could cause catastrophic failure. Deviating away from the standard materials or applying nitride etc that makes the gas tube stronger than milspec could result in the barrel blowing instead of the gas tube.

ScottsBad
04-20-22, 03:19
Is the V7 gas tube worth the money ?
I am going to replacing my front sight on my Colt Carbine with a folding Yankee Hill Sight and was thinking about upgrading the gas tube.

Yeah, what he said ^^^^

If I recall that gas tube is Inconel. Crazy great material, but not worth it for a gas tube.

A Nitrided gas tube might have some value because of its slickness and lubricity, But they are only a few bucks more than regular SS.

The Inconel won't melt, but I've heard that the SS tube is intended to melt before other parts of the rifle. Its intended to fail to keep the barrel from melting. Something like that. But you'd have to dump mag after mag after mag in full auto to melt the gas tube.

ScottsBad
04-20-22, 03:22

I think PRI still makes those type of sights.

prepare
04-20-22, 05:05
I stick with regular gas tubes from the reputable brand name manufactures.

Most of them however don't brother to list any material specs about the gas tubes they sell.

RedTeam98
04-26-22, 07:32
Thanks I have a PRI folding front sight on my MK12 very nice.
But on my M4 I went with YHM folding with Lug front sight with the WMD gas tube.

Straight Shooter
04-26-22, 07:41
Not a thing wrong with wanting "the best" parts for your weapons.
Whenever I think of gas tubes, Im reminded of that old video ...I THINK...was Colt, in a basement range, with an M4 bolted to a wall, firing mag after mag on FA until the barrel literally drooped i think at right at 1000 rounds of full auto. Then the gas tube popped. It lasted THAT long.
Some of you with ninja posting skills put that vid up if you dont mind.

georgeib
04-26-22, 08:13
Not a thing wrong with wanting "the best" parts for your weapons.
Whenever I think of gas tubes, Im reminded of that old video ...I THINK...was Colt, in a basement range, with an M4 bolted to a wall, firing mag after mag on FA until the barrel literally drooped i think at right at 1000 rounds of full auto. Then the gas tube popped. It lasted THAT long.
Some of you with ninja posting skills put that vid up if you dont mind.

Is this the one you're thinking of?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kzfm4pYhIyY

Straight Shooter
04-26-22, 09:51
Is this the one you're thinking of?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kzfm4pYhIyY

Thats it. Been a long time since Ive seen it, thanks for puttng it up.

RedTeam98
04-26-22, 11:55
Oh that’s painful to watch !