PDA

View Full Version : Extractor Spring Installation Tool

prepare
04-18-22, 21:20
Brownells part # 080-685-130WB
#5 - 3.5MM (0.138") ROLL PIN HOLDER

As luck would have it I discovered this 3.5 mm roll pin holder works great for installing extractor springs. Just cut a small piece off of a 3.5mm o'ring, enough to fill the hole about 1/2 way on the punch.

The tool holds the extractor spring just right and prevents over compression and deformation of the spring while snapping it into the extractor.

the AR-15 Junkie
04-19-22, 04:30
Brownells part # 080-685-130WB
#5 - 3.5MM (0.138") ROLL PIN HOLDER

As luck would have it I discovered this 3.5 mm roll pin holder works great for installing extractor springs. Just cut a small piece off of a 3.5mm o'ring, enough to fill the hole about 1/2 way on the punch.

The tool holds the extractor spring just right and prevents over compression and deformation of the spring while snapping it into the extractor.

Nice!

Jstud220
04-20-22, 01:10
I’ve always just used a pair of pliers and towel to make sure I don’t gouge the extractor.

prepare
04-20-22, 05:26
I’ve always just used a pair of pliers and towel to make sure I don’t gouge the extractor.

That absolutely works too.

The tool is the cleanest, surest, and simplest installation method I have found and provides the best visual clarity for seeing your work.

556Cliff
04-20-22, 09:18

I have not had great success with the pressing them in with pliers method and I was using the Knipex parallel jaw pliers for the task. The extractor spring needs to be securely held in the hollow end of a tool and given a twist to seat it. If you just attempt to press them straight in they will become damaged more than half the time.

Here are a couple of great videos on the best way to do this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH-AIX7WYlI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEb3qbtAWFw

markm
04-20-22, 09:27
I just mash that fukker in and move on. :(

prepare
04-20-22, 10:25
I have not had great success with the pressing them in with pliers method and I was using the Knipex parallel jaw pliers for the task. The extractor spring needs to be securely held in the hollow end of a tool and given a twist to seat it. If you just attempt to press them straight in they will become damaged more than half the time.

The Brownells punch holds the ejector spring snug enough to simultaneously twist and push the ejector spring into the ejector until you get a positive snap.

556Cliff
04-20-22, 12:00
The Brownells punch holds the ejector spring snug enough to simultaneously twist and push the ejector spring into the ejector until you get a positive snap.

To my surprise, the Brownells 3.5MM roll pin holder punch is the one Brownells roll pin holder punch that I don't have... Just another thing to add to the cart I suppose. ;)

556Cliff
04-20-22, 12:05
I just mash that fukker in and move on. :(

You're damaging your springs! :eek:

I remember Iraqgunz talking about a tool he modified to grab onto the extractor springs so that he could give them that twist to properly seat them without damaging them... I wish I could find that thread.

markm
04-20-22, 12:18
I remember Iraqgunz talking about a tool he modified

I miss that dude.

Jstud220
04-20-22, 12:48

I’ve never twisted one and never had an issue. I just listen for the click when it snaps into place and call it a day. The only time I’ve damaged extractor springs is removing them and stretching the spring out visibly.

Having a proper tool would probably be easier. For me the hardest part is always balancing the spring on the extractor while holding the towel in place on the bottom of it.

markm
04-20-22, 13:17
I’ve never twisted one and never had an issue. I just listen for the click when it snaps into place and call it a day.

Same here. I didn't know they could become twisted or whatever.

04-20-22, 14:38
I pour oil on them then constrict them in a large crescent wrench. When the worm screw won’t turn anymore, I press the slack out of the jaws by pinching with my fingers. It pops in at this point. This is only convenient because the wrench happens to live on the table at which I replace extractor springs.

There is likely a better way.

mark5pt56
04-21-22, 05:59
If one pushes at an angle it can cause the spring to kink. If you take a block or any raised surface or table edge, place the spring base up and then the extractor on top. Then just simply press straight down with your thumb, it will snap into the well.

AndyLate
04-21-22, 06:18
Same here. I didn't know they could become twisted or whatever.

Twisting reduces the diameter and makes them easier to install, at least in theory. I always replace standard extractor springs with Colt, Sprinco, BCM parts and never had a problem until I destroyed one. I will be picking up a tool.

Andy

prepare
04-21-22, 06:21
There are several ways to install them. Some fit tighter than others. I already had the Brownells punch and just discovered that it works quite well for installing the extractor springs without any trouble.

HKGuns
04-21-22, 06:39
I own one as well and will try this on my next extractor spring upgrade.

Thanks for the tip.

markm
04-21-22, 09:37
If one pushes at an angle it can cause the spring to kink. If you take a block or any raised surface or table edge, place the spring base up and then the extractor on top. Then just simply press straight down with your thumb, it will snap into the well.

It's really just that easy. But considering we have a never ending thread on the BCM grip screw, there's no limit on turning non issues into mayhem here.

Twisting reduces the diameter and makes them easier to install, at least in theory. I always replace standard extractor springs with Colt, Sprinco, BCM parts and never had a problem until I destroyed one. I will be picking up a tool.

Andy

I used to worry about upgrading the extractor spring assembly, but now that I don't tolerate over gassed guns, it's not really an issue. I've been running a standard spring in a 14.5 SOCOM carbine for weeks now with no issues at all.

prepare
04-21-22, 09:42
It's really just that easy. But considering we have a never ending thread on the BCM grip screw, there's no limit on turning non issues into mayhem here.

I used to worry about upgrading the extractor spring assembly, but now that I don't tolerate over gassed guns, it's not really an issue. I've been running a standard spring in a 14.5 SOCOM carbine for weeks now with no issues at all.

My interest in screws and other small parts is for stocking the correct parts in bulk quantities for my shop.

lysander
04-21-22, 10:44
Press and twist with my thumb, it pops right in.

If I were assembling a hundred a day the tool might come in handy, but for the occasional build and replacement, my thumb works just fine.

04-21-22, 11:16

I used to worry about upgrading the extractor spring assembly, but now that I don't tolerate over gassed guns, it's not really an issue. I've been running a standard spring in a 14.5 SOCOM carbine for weeks now with no issues at all. before the upgrade, with military 14.5” carbines with H1 buffers, I don’t remember it being a colossal problem except suppressed, hot/dirty chamber, or worn out springs. Shooting a well-maintained Colt unsuppressed with an H2 buffer, you’ll probably be fine for a while. But my armorer used to hand out extractor springs with doughnuts like candy to TLs.

Press and twist with my thumb, it pops right in.

If I were assembling a hundred a day the tool might come in handy, but for the occasional build and replacement, my thumb works just fine.

Maybe I’m just being a sissy, but I usually can’t get it to click in with my thumb. It usually just presses into the meaty bit until I’m pressing on the extractor itself.

556Cliff
04-21-22, 11:59
Maybe I’m just being a sissy, but I usually can’t get it to click in with my thumb. It usually just presses into the meaty bit until I’m pressing on the extractor itself.

You're not alone, I can't manage to do it that way either.

HKGuns
04-21-22, 12:15
Sissy #3 here.............I suspect anyone able to click it in with only a thumb has an extremely out of spec extractor or a severe case of being a gorilla.

I have issues using needle nose pliers as well.

Jstud220
04-21-22, 12:42
I’ve never been able to get one in with my thumb. I remember trying for so long that I literally tore my thumb up bruising it trying to get one in before I started using a pair of pliers

prepare
04-21-22, 13:09
The fitment is inconsistent across different BCG brands. Some snap in with ease, some won't even stay in at all, and some the tool is necessary.

04-21-22, 13:23
Something we should consider is checking that the old spring is not broken when we change springs. I’ve had it happen that a spring shed its first coil inside the extractor, and my blind dumb ass was trying to push the new one on. I had assumed that the (malfunctioning) spring was worn and tried to replace it. I hit it with a GI toothbrush and it was obvious what had happened. Should have been a clue that it fell out when I removed the extractor.

lysander
04-21-22, 13:29
The trick is to hook the free end first, twist in the direction of the coil and push.

You can also use your thumbnail to fully seat the free end, then work your way around, the same way you would do an internal snap ring.

It's only a 0.010" interference.

the AR-15 Junkie
04-21-22, 13:33
The fitment is inconsistent across different BCG brands. Some snap in with ease, some won't even stay in at all, and some the tool is necessary.

I agree with this. I have a new Colt cage coded extractor it will fall out of. Extractor pocket out of spec.

Jstud220
04-22-22, 21:39
I just ordered one today to give it a try. If it makes things easier I’m all for it.

MistWolf
04-26-22, 01:15
You're damaging your springs! :eek:

I remember Iraqgunz talking about a tool he modified to grab onto the extractor springs so that he could give them that twist to properly seat them without damaging them... I wish I could find that thread.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?192636-What-is-the-Proper-Method-for-Installing-Extractor-Springs&highlight=

I'm going to look into the tool prepare suggests.

prepare
04-26-22, 03:21
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?192636-What-is-the-Proper-Method-for-Installing-Extractor-Springs&highlight=

I'm going to look into the tool prepare suggests.

Be sure to get a 3.5 mm o'ring and cut off a small piece to partially fill the hole in the punch. I got the o"ring at lowes.

Jstud220
04-26-22, 18:50
Received mine today from Brownells. I used one of the donuts that comes with the 3 pack of Sprinco springs. I had to cut it slightly more than half to get it to fit in the roll pin holder. Decided to try it out so I pulled the spring out of an extractor and put it back it. After having the hardest time putting the extractor pin back in I realized I damaged the spring. The middle coil was visibly sticking out further than the rest. I tossed that spring and tried it again but this time without twisting it. It snapped right in and the extractor pin when in as normal without a struggle.

It seems to work well just make sure not to twist it too much or if any. I can’t believe how much I mangled the first spring just by twisting ever so slightly.

Also tested it afterwards with some snap caps to make sure everything was working properly.

MistWolf
04-29-22, 09:58
Received mine today from Brownells. I used one of the donuts that comes with the 3 pack of Sprinco springs. I had to cut it slightly more than half to get it to fit in the roll pin holder. Decided to try it out so I pulled the spring out of an extractor and put it back it. After having the hardest time putting the extractor pin back in I realized I damaged the spring. The middle coil was visibly sticking out further than the rest. I tossed that spring and tried it again but this time without twisting it. It snapped right in and the extractor pin when in as normal without a struggle.

It seems to work well just make sure not to twist it too much or if any. I can’t believe how much I mangled the first spring just by twisting ever so slightly.

Also tested it afterwards with some snap caps to make sure everything was working properly.

Twisting the spring the wrong direction will damage it in the manner you described.

Jstud220
04-29-22, 15:40
Twisting the spring the wrong direction will damage it in the manner you described.

Yes I definitely twisted it the wrong way. I should have watched the videos 556cliff shared with me before giving it a go.

Anyway it’s definitely the easiest way to do it that I’ve tried so far and although it’s not something that needs to be done often it’s small investment to have I guess what you would call a proper tool for the job. Pilars work but it was always tedious lining everything up with a towel on the opposite end making sure not to gouge the extractor.