PDA

View Full Version : Erratic Ejection Pattern

JoeBobJoe
04-18-22, 23:18
I got a midlenth 16" that's got me stumped. It has erratic ejection1:30 to 5:00, & throwing brass lazily only 3 feet or less.. It's has periodic bolt over base malfunctions 2or 3 per mag. After hundreds or rounds through different mags & testing on other carbine lowers & 3 buffers, then tearing down gas system checking for leaks & misaligned gas block which is pinned. I opened gas port it was .063, to.075... test again....to now a huge .093. I know it's over gassed now, but it still ejecting the same erratic ejection 1:30 to 5:00 & only 3 feet.
So today I put it on a standard A2 rifle lower & got a crisp, 3 o'clock ejection pattern throwing brass about 7 feet. BTW the case head looks clean no hard extraction marks, primers are not flattering out or piercing primers.
Why won't it run on a carbine lower with a 4oz T2 buffer or a H1 or standard carbine buffer. It did best with standard before I opened it up but still had weak & erratic ejection and bolt over base ftf.
Im going to try my lower on a friend's midlenth upper, this week. I can't see it being the lower but who knows.
Did I go from under gassed to over gassed with same exact symptoms? Or am I missing something.
My next thing is just try a H3 or 9mm blowback buffer, in my lower.
Any insight will be appreciated, Thank You.

dmd08
04-19-22, 10:07
You've tried ammo, mags, buffers, opening the gas port WAY too big and entirely different lowers. But you haven't given your BCG a look?

HKGuns
04-19-22, 10:23
You've tried ammo, mags, buffers, opening the gas port WAY too big and entirely different lowers. But you haven't given your BCG a look?

Agreed.

I would remove and clean the ejector, replace the ejector spring and replace the extractor. My simple mind can envision no sceneario that involves the lower. That is pretty much all you have left.

JoeBobJoe
04-19-22, 11:32
Agreed.

I would remove and clean the ejector, replace the ejector spring and replace the extractor. My simple mind can envision no sceneario that involves the lower. That is pretty much all you have left.

I forget to mention that I tried 2 different BCG a newer Spikes & older PSA premium, both work in other uppers.
I even removed the O-ring while at the range after I checked the extractor spring & ejector.
I'm stumped but not beat. If I have to I'll put a rifle receiver extension & buffer on the lower.
That's cheaper & easier than a new barrel.

JoeBobJoe
04-19-22, 11:43

I forget to mention it. Yeah, I tried 2 BCGs that work 100% & checked gas rings, extractor tension, & ejector while at range & home.. The cases look clean &:eject fine with a rifle lower, just not the carbine lower. I even replaced the FCG with a older spare hammer & trigger that I ran before, to make sure it wasn't the hammer out of spec. & slowing the carrier speed.
I only opened gas port because it was a bit tight, then more so out of frustration. The lower has ran other uppers in the past. I started thinking tolerance stacking. I was ready to get another barrel but may just run a rifle buffer tube, It just don't make sense,. A carbine or rifle lower should be interchangeable, on most uppers. Why does it run on a rifle buffer system & not a carbine, that stumped me.

markm
04-19-22, 11:43
Two things.

1. Overgassing won't cause head swipes, so no surprise there. and

2. Do you happen to have one of those God Damned Retarded Springco buffer springs? I tried one of those once and totally effed up a decent running carbine.

last possibility is there's a poorly button rifled barrel that's got tight or overbore spots.. and it just needs to be replaced. pin gauging the bore would tell you if that is possibly and issue.

04-19-22, 11:52
I somehow doubt its the ammo, but what ammo is being used? A faulty or damaged ejector would have been my first thought.

markm
04-19-22, 12:09
I somehow doubt its the ammo, but what ammo is being used? A faulty or damaged ejector would have been my first thought.

Could be ejector too. He was running IMI ammo in the original thread.

JoeBobJoe
04-19-22, 15:25
Two things.

2. Do you happen to have one of those God Damned Retarded Springco buffer springs? I tried one of those once and totally effed up a decent running carbine.

last possibility is there's a poorly button rifled barrel that's got tight or overbore spots.. and it just needs to be replaced. pin gauging the bore would tell you if that is possibly and issue.

I tried standard PH 17 -7 SS & a Damage Industry enhanced CS buffer spring, 3 buffer weights just not a H3.
The recoil feels sluggish, bolt over base stoppages but it locks back on empty mag every time. IDK.
Thanks for listening.

JoeBobJoe
04-19-22, 15:28
IMI 62 & 55 grain, & 62 grain LC.

the AR-15 Junkie
04-19-22, 17:57
Two things.

Agreed, sprinco is all SOTAR hype.

Jstud220
04-20-22, 01:13
I’m surprised to see the dislike for Sprinco extractor springs. I have one in all of my Bolts and have had nothing but great results from them.

rifleman8
04-20-22, 04:06
Mid-length, .093, lots of bolt-over-base, ..........bolt bounce from hell ?

curious1
04-20-22, 12:52
Might check and make sure the hammer in the lower can be pushed down as far as the carrier pushes it on cocking without binding between it and the trigger. Also would check that the hammer can push past the disconnector with the trigger pulled without binding. Odd but if there was binding on cocking it might slow or partial restrict the carrier's movement.

JoeBobJoe
04-21-22, 18:11
Might check and make sure the hammer in the lower can be pushed down as far as the carrier pushes it on cocking without binding between it and the trigger. Also would check that the hammer can push past the disconnector with the trigger pulled without binding. Odd but if there was binding on cocking it might slow or partial restrict the carrier's movement.

I thought the same thing, that it might be the hammer or even a bent buffer tube slowing the BCG. But I swapped lowers with my friend's midlenth upper and my upper still acted funny & my lower ran her upper fine. My upper runs good on a rifle lower, 3:00 ejection 7 feet. It only ejects about 3 feet in a downward angle at 1:30 to 4:00 on a carbine lower with a 4oz or 3oz buffer, also a 3.8 oz buffer . I am gonna try a H3 or heavier buffer soon. But it seems reliable with the rifle length & weight buffer system. I can't understand why the ejection is so erratic & unreliable with the carbine lowers.

sinister
04-21-22, 18:31
First, mid-length should have helped by dropping port pressure. You opened up the gas port and went to over-gassing.

If it works with a rifle lower and buffer you can try one of Clint's HSS or XH buffers. A T2 using tungsten powder, shot, or dust does not necessarily have the same dead-blow action as solid weights sliding back-and-forth.

Bottom line though, if it's feeding, cycling, ejecting empties overboard, and locking the bolt to the rear on an empty magazine WHO GIVES A FLYING RICARDO where the brass goes? Why is that important?!

If brass goes ANYWHERE from 12 to 3 the "Brass deflector hump" where a lefty doesn't constantly get hot empties in his kisser is doing its job.

Kyohte
04-21-22, 18:42
From a practical perspect, that upper is toast. Having a barrel with a 0.93” gas port is going to induce further problems down the line. I would ditch the entire thing and save yourself further headache.

Chalk it up to experience, buy a BCM/Sionics/LMT, and if something goes wrong with it, send it back to the factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sinister
04-21-22, 18:44
From a practical perspect, that upper is toast. Having a barrel with a 0.93” gas port is going to induce further problems down the line. I would ditch the entire thing and save yourself further headache.

Chalk it up to experience ... It sounds like it needs a new barrel at the least.

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-22-22, 01:07
Out of the experiments, did you run another carbine buffer lower? You said it works on a rifle buffer tube lower, and you’ve tried different weight buffers on your carbine set-up, but I didn’t hear if you tried a different carbine set up lower. Just ‘filling out’ the matrix

corey4
04-22-22, 01:56
try swapping receiver extensions on the lowers. it only takes a few minutes.

JoeBobJoe
04-22-22, 12:44
Tried other cabine lower on my upper & my lower on another upper. My lower is ok, But my upper still runs erratic to the point of ftf seems like soft ejection at a downward angle, mostly forward but walks back to 4:00 sometimes & distance it throws brass is 3 feet or less. Except whith the rifle lower with standard rifle buffer set up then it's 3:00 & sharp & uniform pattern, with a distance of 7 feet. I'm getting a H3 buffer & if that don't help it, I'll put a rifle buffer tube & buffer on it. I just rather have the versatility of the carbine system stock options.

JoeBobJoe
04-22-22, 12:51
It sounds like it needs a new barrel at the least.

Yeah, I was thinking that & that's the only reason I opened up the gas pot after trying different simple fixes & tearing the gas system down to check alignment & leaks. But it seems to run reliable with a rifle extension lower? So I'm gonna try a H3 buffer soon. I may have went from under gassed to over gassed but the symptoms never changed in-between.

prepare
04-22-22, 17:10
Yeah, I was thinking that & that's the only reason I opened up the gas pot after trying different simple fixes & tearing the gas system down to check alignment & leaks. But it seems to run reliable with a rifle extension lower? So I'm gonna try a H3 buffer soon. I may have went from under gassed to over gassed but the symptoms never changed in-between.

0.093 on a mid length is ruined.

Kyohte
04-22-22, 20:32
I may have went from under gassed to over gassed but the symptoms never changed in-between.

This is why I suggest ditching the entire upper, bcg and all.

JoeBobJoe
04-23-22, 00:41
This is why I suggest ditching the entire upper, bcg and all.

Absolutely, he's right. Even if it's not reliable a under gassed AR is better than having a over gassed reliable AR.
Iol. Using a BCG that's been in a over gassed upper is like dating a stripper, it's fun but your wife may not approve.

JoeBobJoe
04-23-22, 00:54
[QUOTE=prepare;3028105]0.093 on a mid length is ruined.[/QUOTE

It's ruined when I say it's ruined, & not until I opened up the gas port bigger than Faxon does. Lol.
Besides .093 is standard on a 18 inch middy, I'll just tell everyone my barrel is actually longer than it looks.
Thanks for the advice.

rifleman8
04-23-22, 06:21
" .093 is standard on a 18 inch middy "

The above notion has appeared two or three times ( going back to the original thread ) , and I think it says something about the big picture here.

HKGuns
04-23-22, 14:46
I wouldn’t trash the .093 barrel, I’d figure out what is wrong and put the proper BRT gas tube to bring it in line with what is usually normal.

You’ve not said the results of changing out the one piece gas rings yet that I have seen.

JoeBobJoe
04-23-22, 20:59
I wouldn’t trash the .093 barrel, I’d figure out what is wrong and put the proper BRT gas tube to bring it in line with what is usually normal.

You’ve not said the results of changing out the one piece gas rings yet that I have seen.

I got standard 3 gas ring on my bcg's. As to the large gas port, I opened it after I tried everything short of another barrel. The BRT tube is a option after I get it to cycle with a heavy 3h buffer on a carbine lower. I just don't want to drop $60 on a gas tube, I might just put that cost toward a new barrel. I have other reliable AR's & just can't understand how this one stoped being reliable after it has been reliable for 3 years. I looked at all the usual suspects; extractor, bcg, gas leak in tube or gas key buffer & spring, ECT. I took off gas block everything looked good except the port was a bit tight at .063 I opened it up & trying different sizes on the way up to .093 not caring about size of port but reliability. I got it running reliable but with a rifle lower. The ejection & reliability is poor with every lower or buffer combo & has been since it began choking on feeding next round & weak ejection. I also wanted to put my experience out there for others, to learn what not to try or to try as each see fit.
And possibly any suggestions that may help.
I don't understand the condemnation some givefor large gas ports.
A midlenth handles over gassing much better than some think.
Thanks for being honest about.093 not being a ruined barrel. A ruined barrel is any barrel in a unreliable gun.
I knew people would get rumpled with me opening up the Gas port but I'm a honest man with a honest problem looking for a solution.
Thanks again to all who helped.
In a few days I'm getting back out with a H3 buffer, if that doesn't work after that it's getting rifle extension & buffer.

JoeBobJoe
04-23-22, 21:07

Thanks again. For all the suggestions.

titsonritz
04-23-22, 21:11

Agreed, sprinco is all SOTAR hype.

I'm surprised to hear this. I have several guns with blue and green Sprinco action springs, never had an issue. I know Iraqgunz was a fan of them, I don't watch enough SOTAR to know what his hype is all about.

titsonritz
04-23-22, 21:14

Was thinking maybe it needs a some of Ned's 5.56 reamer action.

JoeBobJoe
04-23-22, 21:19
" .093 is standard on a 18 inch middy "

The above notion has appeared two or three times ( going back to the original thread ) , and I think it says something about the big picture here.

I hear tell midlenth gas system handle over gassing well, that is going to make it all the more of a challenge for me to ruin it by over gassing.
Got to go, my new .110 drill bit just arrived in the PO box. It's a bit of a drive from my Hollar.
Have a good day, & thanks for your opinion, now all I kneed is a grain of salt.

JoeBobJoe
04-23-22, 21:22
It's always a possibility.

HKGuns
04-23-22, 22:16
I'm surprised to hear this. I have several guns with blue and green Sprinco action springs, never had an issue. I know Iraqgunz was a fan of them, I don't watch enough SOTAR to know what his hype is all about.

That cat has a SOTAR boner. Best to ignore his ignorant tripe.

He’s just old and angry.

the AR-15 Junkie
04-24-22, 06:53
That cat has a SOTAR boner. Best to ignore his ignorant tripe.

He’s just old and angry.

Wise and experienced enough to know a shill when I see one.

sinister
04-24-22, 10:01
... with my friend's midlenth upper and my upper still acted funny & my lower ran her upper fine. My upper runs good on a rifle lower, 3:00 ejection 7 feet. It only ejects about 3 feet in a downward angle at 1:30 to 4:00 on a carbine lower with a 4oz or 3oz buffer, also a 3.8 oz buffer . I am gonna try a H3 or heavier buffer soon. But it seems reliable with the rifle length & weight buffer system. I can't understand why the ejection is so erratic & unreliable with the carbine lowers.An H3 runs 5 to 5.4 ounces.

A standard M16 buffer assembly is 5 ounces + a little.

If it works with a rifle buffer it should work with an H3.

I still don't understand your concern for ejection direction and where it places the brass.

The heavier the buffer you use the more gas and energy it takes to push the carrier group to extract and eject and your cases won't go as far.

You've monkeyed with a lot of things. The beauty of being an American is you can hot-rod whatever it is you want to the limits of your wallet and imagination. I think the problem you're encountering is you're changing a lot of variables and you can't seem to isolate an exact fix to make you happy.

Opening the port to .110 may require you to go to an even heavier buffer (HSS or XH). The more gas you tap at the port, the faster your carrier group will move BOTH fore-and-aft. You don't want the carrier group going faster than your magazine spring can push the next round to the feed lips for feeding (otherwise you're back to bolt- over cartridge base stoppages).

JoeBobJoe
04-24-22, 13:24
An H3 runs 5 to 5.4 ounces.

A standard M16 buffer assembly is 5 ounces + a little.

If it works with a rifle buffer it should work with an H3.

I still don't understand your concern for ejection direction and where it places the brass.

The heavier the buffer you use the more gas and energy it takes to push the carrier group to extract and eject and your cases won't go as far.

You've monkeyed with a lot of things. The beauty of being an American is you can hot-rod whatever it is you want to the limits of your wallet and imagination. I think the problem you're encountering is you're changing a lot of variables and you can't seem to isolate an exact fix to make you happy.

Opening the port to .110 may require you to go to an even heavier buffer (HSS or XH). The more gas you tap at the port, the faster your carrier group will move BOTH fore-and-aft. You don't want the carrier group going faster than your magazine spring can push the next round to the feed lips for feeding (otherwise you're back to bolt- over cartridge base stoppages).

I was joking about.110 gas port, I think.093 is plenty big & definitely a bit on the huge side lol.
It did get it to run reliable but for now only with the rifle lower I tested it on.
Yeah it was definitely driving me crazy testing so many variables. I look at this as a experience too because this is the first AR that I came across that was unreliable, (I've only been shooting AR's for 7 years) so I consider it a fluke. It's also been a good way for me to try and understand the nuances of the DI gas system.
As easy as AR assembly is, getting the same results from one AR to another is not so simple.
Easy to do hard to master.
Thanks again, I do appreciate the information in the replies.

JoeBobJoe
04-24-22, 13:34
Is there anything to bolt over travel past ejection port window.
Would over travel cause bolt over base or weak ejection, or stove pipes stoppages more likely or just dented cases?
I don't think this has anything to do with my problems, but I came across bolt over travel while researching types of stoppages & ejection problems. Just curious.🤔

MistWolf
04-26-22, 00:52
I got a midlenth 16" that's got me stumped. It has erratic ejection1:30 to 5:00, & throwing brass lazily only 3 feet or less.. It's has periodic bolt over base malfunctions 2or 3 per mag.
Both of these problems are caused by a weak or marginal extractor spring.

After hundreds or rounds through different mags & testing on other carbine lowers & 3 buffers, then tearing down gas system checking for leaks & misaligned gas block which is pinned. I opened gas port it was .063, to.075... test again....to now a huge .093. I know it's over gassed now, but it still ejecting the same erratic ejection 1:30 to 5:00 & only 3 feet.
Another victim of that thrice damned ejection voodoo chart. Your problem isn't how your AR is gassed. It's your extractor spring. Next time you suspect an AR is under gassed, perform a lock back check instead of consulting some ejection angle pie chart based on a witch doctor's interpretation of chicken entrails.

So today I put it on a standard A2 rifle lower & got a crisp, 3 o'clock ejection pattern throwing brass about 7 feet.
Because extraction with a rifle buffer & spring is softer. There's less stress placed on the extractor and you can get away with using a weaker extractor spring. in fact, the M16 extractor spring has a lower spring rate and will cause erratic ejection angles and bolt overs when used in carbine length ARs.

Install a Colt or Sprinco M4 extractor spring with the insert and no o ring. Any bolt not using a Colt or Sprinco M4 extractor spring will be unreliable. You can salvage your barrel with the over large gas port with a BRT EZ Tune gas tube. Contact Clint for help getting the right gas tube.

JoeBobJoe
04-26-22, 01:14
Both of these problems are caused by a weak or marginal extractor spring.

Another victim of that thrice damned ejection voodoo chart. Your problem isn't how your AR is gassed. It's your extractor spring. Next time you suspect an AR is under gassed, perform a lock back check instead of consulting some ejection angle pie chart based on a witch doctor's interpretation of chicken entrails.

Because extraction with a rifle buffer & spring is softer. There's less stress placed on the extractor and you can get away with using a weaker extractor spring. in fact, the M16 extractor spring has a lower spring rate and will cause erratic ejection angles and bolt overs when used in carbine length ARs.

You can salvage your barrel with the over large gas port with a BRT gas tube. Contact Clint for help getting the right gas tube.

How can 2 Bolt carrier groups that work in other carbine uppers on carbine lowers both have weak or bad extractor springs? Also I tried it with O-ring without O-ring, because someone said it had too much extractor pressure. I did listen to the advice I've gotten. Why or how would another 16 in midlenth run fine with same BCG that chokes another? I tried the simple fixes first. I tested each BCG in my lady friends 16" middy & both were GTG.
Also both BCG are rather new under 1000 rounds a piece. A spikes tactical & a PSA premium. I'm got my H3 carbine buffer yesterday & I'm gonna run it tomorrow & if it runs on the carbine lower with the H3 like it did on the rifle lower, I'm calling it fixed.
Thanks for the advice, I do appreciate it. I'll post results tomorrow.

MistWolf
04-26-22, 01:30
How can 2 Bolt carrier groups that work in other carbine uppers on carbine lowers both have weak or bad extractor springs? Also I tried it with O-ring without O-ring, because someone said it had too much extractor pressure. I did listen to the advice I've gotten. Why or how would another 16 in midlenth run fine with same BCG that chokes another? I tried the simple fixes first. I tested each BCG in my lady friends 16" middy & both were GTG.
Also both BCG are rather new under 1000 rounds a piece. A spikes tactical & a PSA premium. I'm got my H3 carbine buffer yesterday & I'm gonna run it tomorrow & if it runs on the carbine lower with the H3 like it did on the rifle lower, I'm calling it fixed.
You did see the part where I explained Spikes & PSA use substandard springs.

There are always small variations in lowers. An extractor spring nearing the edge of failure will often work with one lower and not in another. Until you install a Colt or M4 extraction spring in the bolt, you're wasting time and money. You've already tried more expensive remedies with no improvement. Why not try a $5 Colt spring?

Erratic ejection angles, weak ejection and bolt overs are only caused by weak ejector springs, bad extractors and/or weak extraction springs. Not magazines. Not feed ramps. Not short stroking. Not overgassing. Not recoil springs. Not buffers.

99 times out of 100, it's the extractor spring.

JoeBobJoe
04-26-22, 01:53
I started by changing my lube from grease to oil because it was a cold day when it all started. Then extractor, then BCG, then extractor & ejection all checked to stop ftf bolt over base stoppages. Then I noticed ( because I am not a ejection pattern watcher)my ejection looked weaker than other 16 middy (AKA test/control AR) my friend lent me. My ejection pattern went from 1:00 to 2:00 with a lighter buffer (4 to 3 oz) ok...I filmed it slow motion & can see brass dribbling out & even getting hit by bolt on closing hence the 1:30 ejection with 4oz buffer & why the 3 oz made it go bit further (still only 2-3 feet in a falling dribbling motion) so on next solutions.
Mags, buffers, then gas leak test then tearing down gas system. Then find gas port was tight at .063, ok open up a hair, same results, then more .075 than a bit more, not much better & still ftf. I'm like "What the hell" , so me & my son (who has installed FSB for me) went for broke.... .093 & bang, better but still something wrong. .093 port & Rifle lower got me to 3 o'clock & 7 foot ejection & here I am.
That's my story. I didn't just start thinking drill baby drill from the start, I never even thought that was a option. I'm not afraid to try anything once, but don't expect to ever have to drill a gas port that again.
Thanks for listening.
J.B.J

sinister
04-26-22, 08:52
You never mentioned your carbine manufacturer; whether or not this is a home built; how many rounds are down this barrel; and if, with the .093 gas port you still have stoppages.

Please, stop with the ejection distances and patterns -- that really has nothing to do with whether or not the weapon functions as designed.

Does it fire and go through the 8 steps of operation? If so, the carbine works. If not, help us help you to fix it.

JoeBobJoe
04-26-22, 17:55
You never mentioned your carbine manufacturer; whether or not this is a home built; how many rounds are down this barrel; and if, with the .093 gas port you still have stoppages.

Please, stop with the ejection distances and patterns -- that really has nothing to do with whether or not the weapon functions as designed.

Does it fire and go through the 8 steps of operation? If so, the carbine works. If not, help us help you to fix it.
I did say it's my only Factory Built AR & it was bought new.
The brand is mid-level not a PSA or poverty poney.
I won't say because I was happy with their help & had other good experience with the company.
BTW, PSA is a good brand but I know some snobs look down on them.
I mentioned the ejection pattern as to give reference to what I'm trying to explain not because it's the cause of my concern. I got no problem with 1:30 ejection or even a weak or short distance of spent brass thrown. I clearly can see it's got a ftf & throwing brass different than any other AR I got or others I've seen in person. I checked the whole thing & know, see, & feel it's running like shit. I want it reliable or not at all. I would never sell a unreliable gun to anyone. Unless they wanted it as a project or to prove me wrong, I'm open to letting someone buy it to do so. I suppose I got the only unreliable AR. I'll go check the 8 steps for the 10th time, that'll fix her. Been there past that. I'm past farting into a glass & smelling it. I actually believe some people might know if their gun is not running correctly, & can check parts. Some just might keep trying to hit the fwd assist. I am not that guy.

Heavy buffer has no effect other than dropping cases at my feet, need to run more to actually check reliability.
Why does it run normally with the rifle lower and not with any carbine lower, normal meaning throws the brass clear of the weapon to 7 ft at 3:00 and not dribbles out at 1:30 to 3:00 and causes values to feed the rifle has not caused the fire to feed yet.
To me this is strange.

JoeBobJoe
04-26-22, 18:30
I ran the H3 buffer and it ejects the casings at my feet, it went from ejecting cases 3 feet away at 1:30 to 2:30 with a 4 oz buffer,& now with the H3 buffer it's dropping cases at my feet; literally. With a lighter buffer (3oz) it gets ftf & 1:30 ejection about 3 feet. All with carbine lower.
The (16in midlenth) upper runs reliable with the rifle lower and ejects cases 7 ft away at 3:00.
Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? FTF were bolt over base & stove pipes, along with weak ejection.
I still need long term use on rifle lower to test reliability, but it looks good.
IDK
Thanks for anyone who replied with any information that they thought could help me, and to anyone who has a problem like mine I'd be interested to know if you were able to figure it out, or just what your experience was.
Thanks again.

MistWolf
04-29-22, 09:38
Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? FTF were bolt over base & stove pipes, along with weak ejection.

I have. I told you where to start to fix it- the extractor spring. You ignored that. Your troubleshooting continues to be all over the map. Good luck getting your AR fixed. I'm sure if you continue to hit random keys on the typewriter, you'll eventually produce a sonata.

JoeBobJoe
04-30-22, 03:24
[QUOTE=MistWolf;3029437]I have. I told you where to start to fix it- the extractor spring. You ignored that. Your troubleshooting continues to be all over the map. Good luck getting your AR fixed. I'm sure if you continue to hit random keys on the typewriter, you'll eventually produce a sonata.[/QUOTE

I have extra springs, I replace extractor springs if they feel weak. I get mine from Damage Industry, they are 4 coil gold (copper washed) I also run O rings most times. I will replace them with another new spring. I did things that didn't help 2 x over, just to make sure I was not missing something. The only trouble I've had with any extractor spring, was of my own making, the extra power 5 coil springs digging up my case head but went back to 4 coil. I ran the 5 coil with o ring & that is why I had trouble. I do learn from my mistakes. I'm gonna make a point to try a new 4 coil from my spare parts tomorrow. I can't get no more stumped than I am now.

JoeBobJoe
04-30-22, 03:30
BTW the two BCG I been using run fine in a 16 in midlenth, home build. They just don't build em like I do.

MistWolf
05-01-22, 07:55
These two steps should eliminate the extraction/ejection/feed problem-
-Install a Colt extractor spring with no O ring.
-Perform a flick test on the ejector. Installing a new ejector plunger and spring at this point is cheap insurance.

Next-
-Install an H2 buffer and carbine buffer in the lower (assuming you have a carbine RE).
-Test with full power 5.56 ammo. Start with a lockback test. Use a magazine known to be good.

Notes-
-Buffer weight will not fix over or under gassing. You must deal with the over-sized gas port before continuing troubleshooting. The easiest and least expensive way to do that is to get the proper BRT EZ Tune gas tube. Once this is done, you can resume troubleshooting. If you have further malfunctions after following the instructions above, they should be due to gas leaks and/or out of spec dimensions.

georgeib
05-01-22, 08:12
These two steps should eliminate the extraction/ejection/feed problem-
-Install a Colt extractor spring with no O ring.
-Perform a flick test on the ejector. Installing a new ejector plunger and spring at this point is cheap insurance.

Next-
-Install an H2 buffer and carbine buffer in the lower (assuming you have a carbine RE).
-Test with full power 5.56 ammo. Start with a lockback test. Use a magazine known to be good.

Notes-
-Buffer weight will not fix over or under gassing. You must deal with the over-sized gas port before continuing troubleshooting. The easiest and least expensive way to do that is to get the proper BRT EZ Tune gas tube. Once this is done, you can resume troubleshooting. If you have further malfunctions after following the instructions above, they should be due to gas leaks and/or out of spec dimensions.

100% this!

One More Time
05-01-22, 09:44
A new carbine recoil spring is pretty cheap as well, don't think I have seen it mentioned that another was tried other than the rifle lower.

BCM extractor spring kits are $5, I bought a few and installed the spring and no o-ring in all of my BCG's.

16" mid length gas rifles like FN are leaving the factory with an H2 buffer and a carbine spring.
Pretty sure they aren't leaving with a gas port big enough to stub a cigar out in.

With a good gas system I thought a .081" gas port in a Faxon 16" mid length was too much.
BRT made it pretty easy to fix.
Just select what buffer and spring, suppressed or not and if you plan on shooting shit ammo.

There really isn't much to an AR system and there are a lot of factory rifles that are proven to work, to use as a baseline.
If what you have put together is done to the same specs there isn't any reason it shouldn't run.

JoeBobJoe
05-05-22, 18:32
A new carbine recoil spring is pretty cheap as well, don't think I have seen it mentioned that another was tried other than the rifle lower.

BCM extractor spring kits are $5, I bought a few and installed the spring and no o-ring in all of my BCG's.

16" mid length gas rifles like FN are leaving the factory with an H2 buffer and a carbine spring.
Pretty sure they aren't leaving with a gas port big enough to stub a cigar out in.

With a good gas system I thought a .081" gas port in a Faxon 16" mid length was too much.
BRT made it pretty easy to fix.
Just select what buffer and spring, suppressed or not and if you plan on shooting shit ammo.

There really isn't much to an AR system and there are a lot of factory rifles that are proven to work, to use as a baseline.
If what you have put together is done to the same specs there isn't any reason it shouldn't run.

Yeah, I tried everything at first even the things I knew I tried, I even tried them twice, before opening it up.
Seems it was under gassed for sure at .063 but I took it to .070 then.075 nothing different happened as far as cycling so than I opened it larger.085 & that's about when I went too big & the problems continue & looked about the same. I wrongly assumed it may have been something else. I was now looking for it to do more than stop the short stroke & I opened it up to eject further & at a 3:30 pattern but opened it up a bit too much. I learned a lot about over & under gassed symptoms look a lot alike. I will either get a BRT gas tube, .80 would be about where I need for it to run reliable & strong ejection. Or I may get a new barrel. I only started this debacle because of the FTF bolt over base from Short stroking, & I won't keep a unreliable gun.
I may just get a new barrel I been wanting a 14.5 inch build. I also got a hard learned lesson for the price of a new barrel, about $200 not counting ammo on testing. That's a cheap lesson in today's world.
Thanks again for listening. & Any help I received.