PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Album.

Averageman
04-22-22, 21:33
Of all time?
I became aware of music about 1968, so I've seen a lot of good music come and go. Just curious what your choices might be?
I remember laying on top if the Tanks blow off panels, looking at the stars deep in the Deserts of Saudi Arabia and listening to "Dark Side of the Moon" after a long day of road marching to our kickoff point.

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-22-22, 21:56
Metallica The Black Album. Played it so much in college that to this day I hit the exact time between the end of one song and the next.

Beastie Boys Ill Comminication- A Change from their juvenile rap to more nuanced and experimental, and one of the greatest songs of all time, Sabotage. An eclectic mix of different music, great to play in the background while drinking and BSing with friends.

But if I had to pick just one, Led Zeppelin IV. All solid songs, and the mechanics behind the time signature of Black Dog is intense.

GTF425
04-22-22, 22:00
Crack the Skye by Mastodon.

SteyrAUG
04-22-22, 23:12
I couldn't begin to narrow it down to just one.

https://i.imgur.com/arkC15e.jpg

And there is nothing I hate more than hearing the same song over and over, classic rock radio stations being among the worst. I used to like a few artist that I never want to hear again.

Sam
04-23-22, 09:37
REO Speedwagon - Hi Infidelity. I must have worn out the grooves in the LP. Also had a cassette and 8 track, those two are long gone. Now I have a CD.

Averageman
04-23-22, 09:41
REO Speedwagon - Hi Infidelity. I must have worn out the grooves in the LP. Also had a cassette and 8 track, those two are long gone. Now I have a CD.

I had a friend going through a divorce who played it until the wheels came off. I ejected the cassette and threw it out the window.
Depressing.

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-23-22, 09:53
On iTunes I created my own play list of 80s and 90s rock. Shared it with my family. My teenage daughter gets in my wife’s car, music starts playing and she says “That’s Dad’s playlist, right?”. And so it was. Daughter likes 80s tunes, loves to educate her friends about them, but I think I’ve over done it…

rero360
04-23-22, 10:11
Metallica’s …And Justice For All. The music video for One turned me into a metal head for life.

HKGuns
04-23-22, 10:37
That easy.

Attention all planets of the solar federation, we have assumed control, we have assumed control.

More relevant today than it was in the 70’s.

LoboTBL
04-23-22, 12:38
Like Steyr said, it's hard to narrow it down to just one but I've seen some of my favorites mentioned already, 2112 & Dark Side of the Moon. There's also Rumours, Hotel California and the list goes on.

sndt1319
04-23-22, 13:19
I find it interesting how music is so critical to some peoples lives but not at all for others. I don’t know the last time I sat and listened to music at all. I’m in my fourties’ and music isn’t a part of my life outside of what’s in the church service.

titsonritz
04-23-22, 14:15
That easy.

Attention all planets of the solar federation, we have assumed control, we have assumed control.

^^^Right here. My favorite album of all time.

titsonritz
04-23-22, 14:21

So is this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAvQSkK8Z8U

ETA: A little interesting background...

http://www.bmwbmw.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8693&hilit=neil+peart

http://rsftripreporter.net/xComcast/R-n-T_article.pdf

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-23-22, 16:26
I find it interesting how music is so critical to some peoples lives but not at all for others. I don’t know the last time I sat and listened to music at all. I’m in my fourties’ and music isn’t a part of my life outside of what’s in the church service.

I think music/singing was the original IFF. Are you part of the group or not? If you can’t sing the songs, you are dead meat. I think that would help to explain why we have such musical ability when it really doesn’t help us hunt or f*ck. There has to be some evolutionary pressure that favors it.

Averageman
04-23-22, 17:21
I think that would help to explain why we have such musical ability when it really doesn’t help us hunt or f*ck. There has to be some evolutionary pressure that favors it.

You never played lead guitar in a bar band while you were still in High School did you?
Just Sayin'.

SteyrAUG
04-23-22, 18:22
I think music/singing was the original IFF. Are you part of the group or not? If you can’t sing the songs, you are dead meat. I think that would help to explain why we have such musical ability when it really doesn’t help us hunt or f*ck. There has to be some evolutionary pressure that favors it.

Music is another form of meditation that helps preserve sanity in an insane world. Some people believe in the buddha, others have selected albums by Rush, Zeppelin and Kraftwerk.

pag23
04-23-22, 20:04
Metallica..Kill Em All

Megadeth....Peace Sells..

Kadelic
04-23-22, 21:22
Ozzy Osbourne's Blizzard Of Ozz and Diary Of A Madman. We miss you Randy.

Leonidas24
04-24-22, 20:25
I'm going to break the chain and insert some indie into the mix

Sam's Town (2006) - The Killers

iEmpire by Angels & Airwaves is pretty high on the top 10 list as well

Entryteam
04-25-22, 09:22
Whole album... ever?

Queensryche, Operation Mindcrime.

markm
04-25-22, 10:17
The greatest rock and roll album of all time is Guns and Roses "Appetite for Destruction". Every song on the album is outstanding.

Hank6046
04-25-22, 11:49
Toss up between the following; Lateralus by Tool, It Still Moves by My Morning Jacket, and Terrorhawk by Bear vs Shark

Honorable mentions; Stay Positive - the Hold Steady, Nevermind- Nirvana, White Pony -Deftones, Houses of the Holy - Led Zeppelin

markm
04-25-22, 11:55
Toss up between the following; Lateralus by Tool, It Still Moves by My Morning Jacket, and Terrorhawk by Bear vs Shark

Honorable mentions; Stay Positive - the Hold Steady, Nevermind- Nirvana, White Pony -Deftones, Houses of the Holy - Led Zeppelin

You can't put Zep in the same realm as that other stuff. I might have to report that post! :laugh:

Hank6046
04-25-22, 12:20
You can't put Zep in the same realm as that other stuff. I might have to report that post! :laugh:

Listen to Tool's version of No Quarter and get back to me

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-25-22, 12:33
That easy.

Just listened to it.

Don't get it, at all.

That 20 minute Overture would only get airplay if the DJ had to take a monster dump or run to get dinner.

Sorry, had to be said. And just to spot check, I looked at Rush 'Essentials' and that is an awesome list of great rock. Tom Sawyer, Limelight, spirit of radio, fly by night, Freewill, Closer to the heart, Red Barchetta, Subdivisions- are the first eight songs. Awesome.

Pick again. :)

Seriously, as a Rush fan, why pick that album over the other ones?

prepare
04-25-22, 14:43

Same here. I listened to a few of the ones posted and its all garbage to me.

czgunner
04-25-22, 15:03
Lots to choose from, but Boston is probably up there at the top.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Straight Shooter
04-25-22, 15:26
Boston-BOSTON.

seb5
04-25-22, 16:19
The Who, Who's next or the original Van Halen, Van Halen for me

Honorable mentions include Def Leppard, Hysteria, Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon, The Doors, The Doors, and Queen, A Night at the opera. Also any list worth mentioning has to have an AC/DC album included, Ah crap, too many.........

MAUSER202
04-25-22, 17:28
Current favorite is By the way by the Red Hot Chili Peppers, just incredible musicians.
On the all time list, Who’s next by The Who, LA Woman and Morrison Hotel by the Doors, The Wall by Pink Floyd, Texas Flood by Stevie Ray Vaughan, Load, Reload and the Black album by Metalica, Appetite for destruction by Guns N Roses, any Led Zepplen album, Dream boat Annie by Heart and Songs for Devon Sproule by Paul Curreri great picking on this one.

There is a lot of other eclectic music the wife and I listen to depending on the mood, but by too many to list and really a diverse list.

The_War_Wagon
04-25-22, 20:16
I worked in rock radio for 5 years - hard to go wring with most any Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin album. The most underrated Rock act of my lifetime is still Big Country to me - saw 'em at Wake Forest in '83. Some great quirky albums out there are Pete Townshend's White City, GTR's one-off in '86, Yes's clasic stuff always rates highly but '87's Big Generator is my favorite. Midnight Oil's Blue Sky Mining was a great album. Runrig's The Cutter & the Clan is great, although a little folksy for some. The Clash's London Calling is a classic. Peter Gabriel's greatest Hits cuts to the chase, I'm running outta memory here.

LoboTBL
04-25-22, 20:27
Just listened to it.

Don't get it, at all.

That 20 minute Overture would only get airplay if the DJ had to take a monster dump or run to get dinner.

Sorry, had to be said. And just to spot check, I looked at Rush 'Essentials' and that is an awesome list of great rock. Tom Sawyer, Limelight, spirit of radio, fly by night, Freewill, Closer to the heart, Red Barchetta, Subdivisions- are the first eight songs. Awesome.

The eight songs you listed are from five separate albums. Granted three are from one album (Moving Pictures) and two are from another (Permanent Waves) but Essentials is a compilation of work from 15 of the band's albums so cannot really be counted as a single album on its own. Likewise, live albums have to be considered separate from studio albums unless of course you're talking about Cheap Trick's Live at Budokan or Judas Priest's Unleashed in the East :cool:

eta...It's ironic that Permanent Waves was the first Rush album that got so much airplay with its stab at rock radio of the 80s (Spirit of Radio)

SteyrAUG
04-25-22, 20:52
The greatest rock and roll album of all time is Guns and Roses "Appetite for Destruction". Every song on the album is outstanding.

Oooof, you just names the group I hate more than probably any other and the album I hated the most.

GTF425
04-25-22, 21:01
Whole album... ever?

Queensryche, Operation Mindcrime.

A man of distinguished taste.

LoboTBL
04-25-22, 21:17

So if there was only one album you could ever listen to again for the rest of your life...that would be the one?

TomMcC
04-25-22, 22:39
The Who...Quadrophenia, Pink Floyd...The Division Bell, Porcupine Tree...Stupid Dreams.

odugrad
04-26-22, 06:55
I can't believe no-one mentioned Metallica's Master of Puppets. Their best album for sure.

Appetite for Destruction was great, too. And I remember liking Soundgarden's Badmotorfinger.

gaijin
04-26-22, 07:31
As a has been guitarist, John Mayall with Eric Clapton and the Blues Breakers is high on my list. Exceptional guitar work by EC in his early years on this.
Delaney and Bonnie with E.C., Delaney and Bonnie with Leon Russel/Duane Allmon/etc. A lot of excellent players interacted in the early 70's.

Averageman
04-26-22, 08:40
As a has been guitarist, John Mayall with Eric Clapton and the Blues Breakers is high on my list. Exceptional guitar work by EC in his early years on this.
Delaney and Bonnie with E.C., Delaney and Bonnie with Leon Russel/Duane Allmon/etc. A lot of excellent players interacted in the early 70's.

John Mayall certainly had his fair share of prime Guitarists. Peter Green of Fleetwood Mac comes to mind, take a listen to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Viqr6KHwJjc

rero360
04-26-22, 09:59
I can't believe no-one mentioned Metallica's Master of Puppets. Their best album for sure.

Appetite for Destruction was great, too. And I remember liking Soundgarden's Badmotorfinger.

Reason why I went with And Justice for All instead of Master of Puppets is because of One, it brought me into the genre, but I can honestly listen to both albums over and over again without tiring of them.

Other bands that I really like, Lamb of God, Slipknot, and Dimmu Borgir for example, have songs that I never tire of, but not a single album that is gold from start to finish.

duece71
04-26-22, 11:04
VH 1984 or Princes Purple Rain or maybe Metallicas Master of Puppets.

HKGuns
04-26-22, 13:01
Just listened to it.

Don't get it, at all.

Because it was before they were “popular” and was toward the end of their “experimental” phase and had perfected it by that point.

Plus I’m a guitar guy and the tone Al gets on that album is fantastic.

I suppose you either get it or you don’t and I most certainly do.