PDA

View Full Version : Sprinco or colt extractor springs?

Jstud220
04-22-22, 21:43
I started using Sprinco 5 coil springs in all of my bolts about 6 months ago after changing out an old extractor spring. So far they have held up great and worked as advertised. Lately I’ve been coming across some guys who don’t seem to found of them.

What’s your thoughts? Worth it or should I just switch to colt gold extractor springs?

georgeib
04-22-22, 22:29
I'm pretty sure you're not going to go wrong with either one. The theoretical advantage of Sprinco is they're supposed to outlast the Colt springs by a million rounds or so, but who knows? Sprinco works fine, just make sure, if you're around salt water, that you keep it oiled and you check for corrosion.

zack991
04-23-22, 08:14
I have always used the Colts and even if sprinco did last longer, I never had issues with colt vs what I read on them from people who had. I will stick with them vs marketing wank.

prepare
04-23-22, 09:34
It would be interesting if there were some type of definitive tests that could be conducted to settle debates like this. There have been a few industry professionals on here on both sides of the Colt spring vs the chrome silicon Sprinco version. Including some manufacturers that use the one or the other with positive results.

There's got to be more to it than opinion.

I haven't heard of SOLGW or Sionics having failures or issues with Sprinco nor have I heard of the new Colt spring falling short.

the AR-15 Junkie
04-23-22, 09:57
I have always used the Colts and even if sprinco did last longer, I never had issues with colt vs what I read on them from people who had. I will stick with them vs marketing wank.

SOTAR hype.

DG23
04-23-22, 11:01
I started using Sprinco 5 coil springs in all of my bolts about 6 months ago after changing out an old extractor spring. So far they have held up great and worked as advertised. Lately I’ve been coming across some guys who don’t seem to found of them.

What’s your thoughts? Worth it or should I just switch to colt gold extractor springs?

Nothing at all wrong with having spare parts around.

Personally, I am not swapping out that spring in my DPMS carriers until one fails or starts to malfunction.

Just like I am not immediately swapping out the gas tubes (that they made / sourced the guns with) or their firing pins...

Jstud220
04-23-22, 13:10
SOTAR hype.

I don’t think it’s hype at all I think it’s a quality spring and better than your standard extractor spring. I don’t get why some guys hate on sotar the guy just puts out good information trying to help people and is pretty knowledgeable.

Jstud220
04-23-22, 13:12
I’m not trying to start a colt fan boy war I’m a fan of colt myself but it seems like most of the people who have anything negative to say about Sprinco haven’t actually used them and are just doing what colt fans do.

04-23-22, 14:25
I’m not trying to start a colt fan boy war I’m a fan of colt myself but it seems like most of the people who have anything negative to say about Sprinco haven’t actually used them and are just doing what colt fans do.

Colt springs are the same as what the military has been using for a long time to make extraction reliable in M4s and MK18s.

They are legit springs and work no matter where you source them.

Sprinco extractor springs work fine as well. I like the 4 coil better than the 5.

georgeib
04-23-22, 15:22
Colt springs are the same as what the military has been using for a long time to make extraction reliable in M4s and MK18s.

They are legit springs and work no matter where you source them.

Sprinco extractor springs work fine as well. I like the 4 coil better than the 5.

I know you mentioned this before, but could you refresh my memory as to why you prefer the 4 coil? Was it just because the end are flat ground?

markm
04-23-22, 17:10
Forget springco's garbage nonsense and stick with the correct parts. Eff me!

DG23
04-23-22, 17:57
I don’t think it’s hype at all I think it’s a quality spring and better than your standard extractor spring. I don’t get why some guys hate on sotar the guy just puts out good information trying to help people and is pretty knowledgeable.

Changing out ALL of your springs 6 mos ago and now asking about changing them ALL out again is 'falling for the hype' brother.

Bet money you have not 'worn out' a single one yet on anything...

lysander
04-23-22, 21:44
It would be interesting if there were some type of definitive tests that could be conducted to settle debates like this. There have been a few industry professionals on here on both sides of the Colt spring vs the chrome silicon Sprinco version. Including some manufacturers that use the one or the other with positive results.
Well . . .

All I know is that the original AR-15 from 1958 to circa 1967 were a single 5 coil music wire spring.

They didn't last very long, so they went with a pair of nested springs until 1972(ish)

Then they went to the four coil spring with a rubber buffer.

With the M4 they changed the buffer to a stiffer material.

Then they went to the gold spring made from heavier wire.

All of these changes were accompanied by exhaustive testing.

I am not a MIL-Spec for MIL-Spec sake kind'a guy, but if I want something that I know is "good enough to sake my life on", I know where to go. I also have a good idea of how long it will last (18 to 36 thousand rounds), and that is good enough for me. . .

prepare
04-24-22, 13:04
Well . . .

All I know is that the original AR-15 from 1958 to circa 1967 were a single 5 coil music wire spring.

They didn't last very long, so they went with a pair of nested springs until 1972(ish)

Then they went to the four coil spring with a rubber buffer.

With the M4 they changed the buffer to a stiffer material.

Then they went to the gold spring made from heavier wire.

All of these changes were accompanied by exhaustive testing.

I am not a MIL-Spec for MIL-Spec sake kind'a guy, but if I want something that I know is "good enough to sake my life on", I know where to go. I also have a good idea of how long it will last (18 to 36 thousand rounds), and that is good enough for me. . .

Not sure if there are as many different extractor springs as there are BCG's?

However the two most recommended are the Colt gold and the Sprinco. The Colt spring quality is not controversial while there is some controversy over the Sprinco.

That being said I have not seen any evidence that the Sprinco extractor spring is not equally as good as the Colt Spring.

A direct comparison test would be interesting...

Jstud220
04-24-22, 18:22
Changing out ALL of your springs 6 mos ago and now asking about changing them ALL out again is 'falling for the hype' brother.

Bet money you have not 'worn out' a single one yet on anything...

How much money do you want to bet? The reason I swapped them to Sprinco in the first place is because I had one that needed to be replaced. It had almost no tension to it whatsoever and ejection was weak. When I did it I changed my extractor and ejector springs in all of my guns to just be done with it.

I don’t think it falling for hype because someone seeks to use the best parts available to them. So far no one has any actual reasons on why they dislike Sprinco or negative experiences they’ve had with them.