PDA

View Full Version : 870 mod questions

cathellsk
12-18-08, 18:59
I've had a 20" 870P with wood stocks for the last two years and so far all I've done is add a factory +3 extension and 4 shot Mesa Tactical side saddle. Needless to say it feels like a musket. Today the big brown truck dropped off my Brownells order of new goodies for it. I got a Vang Comp big head safety, stainless follower, and +1 extension, a factory Police 18" barrel with rifle sights, and a SpeedFeed Youth stock with ribbed forend. This configuration seems pretty popular and I've been wanting to do this for some time.

Now my questions.....
On installing the stock, do I leave the stock bearing plate in place with the SpeedFeed stock? I would assume so, but with it there is a noticeable gap that was not there with the wood stock, but without it it fits flush. The instructions don't mention it at all.
On the forend, how the hell do I get the action bars off the factory wood? What tools do I need or can improvise with?
On the +1 ext., should there be alittle play with the sling swivel and what is the little ring thingy with two dimples in it in front of the swivel?

Thanks in advance for any responses. I'm pretty stoked over the new setup, makes it much more handy. :)

Shark
12-18-08, 19:52
:D You think yours is "musket-like" you should see my 28" barrel with +6 extension! You interested in unloading your 20" and +3? :)

BTW, my Speedfeed IVs shows up tomorrow. :cool:

cathellsk
12-18-08, 20:14
Might as well, I'm not going to need them. I have to figure up a price though. Its a bead sight on the barrel and IC btw.

Buck
12-18-08, 20:22
too much to type.... call me...

B

cathellsk
12-19-08, 00:07
too much to type.... call me...

B

Buck,

I got the forend on. I remembered I'd done it before a few years ago with a SureFire forend for a friend. I was having trouble getting the thing unscrewed. Went over to a buddy's house and he had a larger set of needle nose pliers and they did the trick.
I believe the thing I'm describing on the +1 ext. is somekind of retaining ring for the sling swivel.
My biggest concern is with the stock and the bearing plate. Is it OK without it or is it required?

Couple new questions.....

Does anyone know where I can find the Federal FliteControl 00 rounds? I've seen them on AmmunitionToGo before but they are appearently sold out now.

What rear sling setup do you guys recommend? One of the loops that goes between the receiver and stock?