PDA

View Full Version : Walther P99 Trigger

graffex
12-18-08, 20:47
Not to hijack but for those of you with trigger time behind the Walther p99. I'm curious how the trigger is. I've heard the DA pull is horrible but the SA trigger in really nice.

ToddG
12-18-08, 21:22
New thread started.

Bigun
12-18-08, 21:26
not fond of the P99 trigger, Long gritty nasty. The SA is a bit better but still not up to snuff.

neodecker
12-18-08, 21:29
Love mine the more I shoot it the better it gets.
Mine is a 2000 German made AS in .40s&w its my daily carry with well over 30,000 rounds through it.

nsnate02
12-18-08, 21:33
If you can get the QA model it is the best IMO. same SA glock type pull.

ghideon
12-18-08, 22:14
I have the AS trigger, and I like it very much. It's slightly heavier than my Berettas in DA mode, and SA mode is nice. Mine is made in 2006 (AG date code), not sure how the older ones stack up. I de-cock mine, so coming out of the holster it is full DA. If you do not de-cock, it is a lightweight DA pull, but it will "set" the trigger at the half way point, where you'll then get an SA pull.

Hope that makes sense. If you're familiar with DA/SA, go AS. If you prefer Glock style trigger pulls, go QA.

John_Wayne777
12-19-08, 08:07
Not to hijack but for those of you with trigger time behind the Walther p99. I'm curious how the trigger is. I've heard the DA pull is horrible but the SA trigger in really nice.

I just sold my P99 to fund my acquisition of a 6920.

The P99 was a pretty good little handgun. My model was the version that mimicked the DA/SA operation. The DA trigger was long, heavy, and stacked pretty hard near the end of the pull. In the DA mode there was no spring tension on the striker whatsoever so your finger had to do all the cocking.

In the SA mode the trigger simply released the striker (which was cocked by the movement of the slide) to fire the weapon. The SA trigger on the models I've handled was N-I-C-E...somewhere in the 5 pound range and very crisp. The weapon itself was very accurate. One hole groups were easy thanks to the good trigger and good sights. The P99 I purchased came with 4 front sights to allow you to sight in for youir carry ammo exactly.

At the time I bought it the P99 was the premier Glock alternative. It was my main carry gun for a couple of years as I sought to retire my 1911. The downside to the P99 was scarce accessories, outrageously expensive hicap magazines (during the AWB years) and that hump in the trigger guard.

Whoever thought that was a good idea ought to be tied up in a burlap sack and thrown down a flight of stairs.

givo08
12-19-08, 10:05
My father owns a P99 and P99c that we take out to the range from time to time, both with the AS trigger. My experience with the DA trigger on each is opposite of what some of the posters above experienced. The DA on both after break in is very smooth and right around ~8 lbs. It's a much lighter DA pull than a factory sig or H&K or M9. The single action trigger is very nice though. It's got the shortest reset of any non-1911 semi auto i've ever fired, and the trigger is light and crisp.

The negatives for me:
1. Mags are not cheap. $45-50 like H&K mags.
2. Lack of selection of aftermarket sights/holsters.
3. Recoil impulse (9mm) is a lot sharper to me than the comparable Glock/M&P/H&K in both the full size and the compact. It's not unbearable by any means, and I'm not very recoil sensitive, but you definitely can tell a difference switching back and forth between other polymer guns and these.

neodecker
12-19-08, 15:12
and that hump in the trigger guard.

Whoever thought that was a good idea ought to be tied up in a burlap sack and thrown down a flight of stairs.
I never could understand why everyone had a problem with the hump. I don't feel it when I my fingers on the trigger, And it gives me a point of reference when I 'm wearing gloves.

decodeddiesel
12-19-08, 15:19
The QA trigger is FAR better than the AS trigger. I know the "Single Action" pull on the AS trigger is nice, but the weird take up thing and "Double Action" is really lacking. On my P99 (9mm QA Military Model) it was gritty for about the first 100 pulls, but after lot of live and dry firing the trigger lightened up and smoothed out considerably. I also followed the "How to make your P99 trigger not suck" instructions found on the web, and cut 4 coils off of the main spring. These things combined have made the trigger smooth as silk and far better than any Glock or S&W (non-performance center) trigger.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b200/decodeddiesel/11-26-08P99TLR1034.jpg

radon
12-19-08, 16:55
The AS trigger is the whole reason one gets a P99--no other handgun on the market has anything like it. The QA trigger is just like a Glock--why bother, just get a Glock. With the AS trigger you don't decock the gun after racking the slide, and you have a nice, very light, and long pull on the first round (much better than any double action pull out there). Follow up shots are then pure single action, and the trigger reset is the shortest of any handgun except perhaps a tuned 1911. I can't understand why this gun is not more of a hit, except the fact that mags are too expensive and parts are hard to come by.

decodeddiesel
12-19-08, 16:57
The QA trigger is just like a Glock--why bother, just get a Glock.

To me the ergonomics of the Walther (not just the trigger) were far superior to the Glock.

radon
12-19-08, 17:33
True on the ergonomics, at least for me. The p99s are also much prettier--hard to take any pride in owning something that looks like a glock. Downside to that is you don't feel comfortable abusing it the way you do with a glock. I almost enjoy throwing my glock in the dirt, because I know nothing I do can make it any uglier...

Abraxas
12-19-08, 17:39

I would say that is fair. Mine has smoothed out in DA the more I shot it.

ghideon
12-19-08, 20:11
That "hump" in the trigger guard is no longer there. The new models are marked QA or AS now, and do not have the hump. The original models (AS only, and marked just as P99) have the humps.

For more info on how the AS trigger works, see this video from a fella on the Walther boards:
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=eyOZN_44Xd4

Edit: Another link with good P99 info:
http://lundestudio.com/WaltherP99FAQ/

neodecker
12-19-08, 20:54
decodeddiesel How did the mods you did change your pistol?