PDA

View Full Version : Hand gaurd rail covers

Jdhiker
05-02-22, 06:46
I have a bushmaster old school XM-15 e2s. 20” barrel. Camo hand gaurd rail covers. I would like to change to a more tactical solution. Something I can mount stuff on. Just wondering about lengths. What would I need to look for to fit that?

markm
05-02-22, 09:38
A Knights M5 RAS would be nice.

05-02-22, 10:31
In addition to the M5 RAS, you can look at pretty much any handguard advertised as 12” in length, which usually ends up somewhere close to twelve and a half inches. BCM, Daniel Defense, Larue, Centurion.

For a free-float rail, you’ll need the capability to remove the FSB, flash hider, and barrel nut for the uninstall. With a Centurion, you can get away with less, since you can use the stock barrel nut. You only need an allen wrench to install a KAC M5.

What are you trying to mount, and what goals do you have for the rifle?

Jdhiker
05-02-22, 10:37
Being in the peoples republic of Massachusetts , I’m not sure yet what I want to do to it. But I do know I don’t care for the plastic feeling of the hand gaurd I have. I don’t think I need a 4 way mounting type rail. Just something that feels more solid and looks better , although I still will hold on the the original stuff.

05-02-22, 11:26
Being in the peoples republic of Massachusetts , I’m not sure yet what I want to do to it. But I do know I don’t care for the plastic feeling of the hand gaurd I have. I don’t think I need a 4 way mounting type rail. Just something that feels more solid and looks better , although I still will hold on the the original stuff.

Consider a Magpul MOE. Or even leaving it as-is until you decide what you need it to do.

titsonritz
05-02-22, 12:14
Consider a Magpul MOE. Or even leaving it as-is until you decide what you need it to do.

I was going to say give the MOE SL a look.

Curlew
05-02-22, 15:06
I was going to say give the MOE SL a look.I like those too, but I don’t think they make them for rifle-length gas. (OP mentioned a 20” barrel.)

HKGuns
05-02-22, 15:34
I would look at one of these, were I in your situation.

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/AR15-Two-Piece-Free-Float-s/327.htm

If none of those suit your needs there are these.

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/AR15-Two-Piece-Drop-In-Handguard-s/326.htm

titsonritz
05-02-22, 15:57
I like those too, but I don’t think they make them for rifle-length gas. (OP mentioned a 20” barrel.)

You're right. I just looked and apparently they only make a carbine and mid-length, I thought they did all three but I guess not.

Jdhiker
05-02-22, 16:05
Yeah when I get home I am going to measure and take pics of how it comes apart

davidjinks
05-09-22, 11:11
A Knights M5 RAS would be nice.

Should be the end of thread right here ^