PDA

View Full Version : Banning menthol cigarettes

Averageman
05-04-22, 09:59
I couldn't quite believe this...
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/naacp-backs-biden-administration-plan-to-ban-menthol-cigarettes/ar-AAWUSeN?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=76633509cf9949aabcbd16ffae4b6497
As the Biden administration moves closer to banning menthol cigarettes — the type of cigarettes used by the vast majority of Black smokers — debates have emerged between Black leaders and experts concerning the wisdom of this move. Last week, Blavity spoke to attorney Benjamin Crump, who argues that the proposed ban will fail to achieve its intended effects while having a negative unintended consequence for Black communities. Crump is not alone in expressing this worry, with the Rev. Al Sharpton delivering similar warnings to the White House. Other leading Black figures and organizations, however, are in favor of the ban. Blavity recently spoke to Portia White, NAACP Vice President of Policy and Legislative Affair, who spoke of her organization’s support for the ban.
White acknowledged that there was opposition to the menthol ban but was unequivocal in her support for the proposed policy. “Despite the opposition from those that we expect to have an opposition and those that are unexpected,” she declared, “this is a big win for Black health.”

Big Joe Biden is looking out for the Homies.

TomMcC
05-04-22, 11:03
Ban menthol cigs, but legalize weed and abortions...seems logical to me.

markm
05-04-22, 11:51
Reminds me of Chapelle's skit of the gameshow about how well you know black people.

"Why do black people smoke menthol cigarettes?"... "I don't know." CORRECT ANSWER!!

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-04-22, 12:25
If a GOP admin did this.. actually, it sounds like something that the dems would say the GOP would do to further their racist anti-black platform…

Someday, in the distant future, they will look at all this pressure and legal fight to make us wear masks that don’t work- all while cigarettes are legal.

titsonritz
05-04-22, 16:42
Ban menthol cigs, but legalize weed and abortions...seems logical to me.

Here is Oregon, we're much more progressive...horse, crank, coke, choose your medicine.

HKGuns
05-04-22, 17:49
Here is Oregon, we're much more progressive...horse, crank, coke, choose your medicine.

This is flipping ridiculous, legalize weed and ban menthol cigs.

I’m not a smoker, but this is, by any measure, an over reach of .gov powers.

- Let’s go Brandon

SteyrAUG
05-04-22, 18:02
Gonna ban 40s next, like Big Gulps yo.

The absurdity of this is menthols aren't inherently safer or more dangerous than any other cigarette, all of which will still be available. Not like menthol smokers are going to suddenly stop smoking menthol, they will just find another brand same as if you banned what is considered a "black" beer, no beer drinker is going to say "well they stopped making malt liquor so I'll stop drinking."

Do they really think black people are so stupid they won't figure that out?

The good news is this kind of "get right into my personal stuff" politics is exactly what we need, we need people to figure out these guys are about over reach and arrive at "**** Biden." Keep treating everyone like a child and keep taking their toys away, we need more people to be politically active from a "liberty" point of view.

Welcome to the "F those guys" party of politics.

HKGuns
05-04-22, 18:14
Gonna ban 40s next, like Big Gulps yo.

Do they really think black people are so stupid they won't figure that out

Agree completely with everything you said and laughed at banning 40’s.

Yes, they really do think the black folk are that stupid.

soulezoo
05-04-22, 18:27
Well, show the old clip of LBJ saying that they'll be voting democrat for the next 50 years (or whatever it was) and most of them either will not believe it outright or start making excuses.

OutofBatt3ry
05-04-22, 20:22
I always preferred menthol when I did smoke. It hid the gross taste.

SteyrAUG
05-04-22, 20:27
Well, show the old clip of LBJ saying that they'll be voting democrat for the next 50 years (or whatever it was) and most of them either will not believe it outright or start making excuses.

Already doing it.

LBJ was a civil rights HERO but also said N a lot.

https://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/lyndon-johnson-civil-rights-racism-msna305591

From way back in 2014. Never mind that this is far less ambiguous than a confederate flag, but god forbid they call him the racist that he saw black folks only as political pawns to achieve his aims and ambitions.

Suddenly he is just a "man of his time", unlike everyone else who has ever been deemed a racist even going back to the founding of this country. Washington had slaves so hey F him, but LBJ is just a victim of his times who just didn't know no better and dropped that N bomb out of ignorance rather than complete disdain.

If ever there is a POS that should have been canceled, it's LBJ. The quotes on that page are so bad that I'd violate the CoC here if I posted them. Johnson was a moderate racist only if he was standing next to Byrd, otherwise he was shitbag as they come.

titsonritz
05-04-22, 20:29
Agree completely with everything you said and laughed at banning 40’s.

Yes, they really do think the black folk are that stupid.

They must be to keep voting for the same group of libtards that constantly throw them under the bus year after year.

titsonritz
05-04-22, 20:32
If ever there is a POS that should have been canceled, it's LBJ.

Woodrow Wilson gets my vote.

Diamondback
05-04-22, 20:40

So much this, Wilson is the Founding Father of Fascism and the Perpetual Unaccountable Bureaucratic State as we know it today.

If I have a T-800 and only *one* shot at a targeted history-altering erasure, he's pretty close to the top of the list, hotly rivaled by Vladimir Lenin.

SteyrAUG
05-04-22, 20:47

Not a fan of Wilson, mostly think he was a dipshit, but if I could trade one of them for a better President, nobody would know the name LBJ. From escalating Nam to the 1968 GCA to the establishment of a welfare state and his "great society" legislation which provided a "nickel and dime" handout rather than any true equality. No matter what law he passed, they were all written to recognize black folks as "secondary citizens" who simply received a consolation prize because LBJ knew in his heart, they were not equal "people" let alone equal citizens and his approach to legislative solutions and his dealings with all black leaders in the civil rights movement make that quite clear.

We needed only simple recognition that black people (and everyone else) are inclusive in the word "people" with respect to "we the people" and every other mention of "citizen" or "individual" in the US Constitution, but THAT would have put him squarely at odds with the southern democrats he was trying to help by maintaining a semblance of race based beliefs that he personally subscribed to.

Rather than a Civil Rights Bill, we should have passed a Inclusion Bill. If ever anyone screwed up and made me President, that is the first thing I'd try and push through Congress. Everyone gets the same rules, everyone gets the same considerations, we will try and start the race with everyone on the same starting line as much as possible...good luck and hope you have a good run.

SteyrAUG
05-04-22, 20:49
So much this, Wilson is the Founding Father of Fascism and the Perpetual Unaccountable Bureaucratic State as we know it today.

If I have a T-800 and only *one* shot at a targeted history-altering erasure, he's pretty close to the top of the list, hotly rivaled by Vladimir Lenin.

If not Lenin, it would have been one of the THOUSANDS of f'tards who really thought that crap was the answer.

Diamondback
05-04-22, 21:08
Not a fan of Wilson, mostly think he was a dipshit, but if I could trade one of them for a better President, nobody would know the name LBJ. From escalating Nam to the 1968 GCA to the establishment of a welfare state and his "great society" legislation which provided a "nickel and dime" handout rather than any true equality. No matter what law he passed, they were all written to recognize black folks as "secondary citizens" who simply received a consolation prize because LBJ knew in his heart, they were not equal "people" let alone equal citizens and his approach to legislative solutions and his dealings with all black leaders in the civil rights movement make that quite clear.

We needed only simple recognition that black people (and everyone else) are inclusive in the word "people" with respect to "we the people" and every other mention of "citizen" or "individual" in the US Constitution, but THAT would have put him squarely at odds with the southern democrats he was trying to help by maintaining a semblance of race based beliefs that he personally subscribed to.

Rather than a Civil Rights Bill, we should have passed a Inclusion Bill. If ever anyone screwed up and made me President, that is the first thing I'd try and push through Congress. Everyone gets the same rules, everyone gets the same considerations, we will try and start the race with everyone on the same starting line as much as possible...good luck and hope you have a good run.

True, but without Wilson setting the foundations and intellectual framework--not to mention building the foundations for him--LBJ is just another corrupt, racist hicktown Boss Hogg. Instead, LBJ became one of the second-gen acolytes learning the Wilsonian Way through FDR and that combined with his talent for fundraising and using those funds to create other officeholders indebted to him and the rest is history.

Hmm, if I retarget my T-800 on Oswald... nope, LBJ would have found a way to Klingon Promotion no matter what.