PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own gold coins or bars?

Flash Point
12-19-08, 07:19
I'm naive on this subject. How does one go about purchasing actual gold (the heavy stuff you can take home and look at). I'm referring to the pure stuff used for currency; not gold plated jewelry, etc.

Iraqgunz
12-19-08, 07:33
You can try Kitco.com.

I'm naive on this subject. How does one go about purchasing actual gold (the heavy stuff you can take home and look at). I'm referring to the pure stuff used for currency; not gold plated jewelry, etc.

30 cal slut
12-19-08, 07:41

Buy 1 oz "bullion" coin like American Eagles, Canadian Maple Leafs, and South African Krugerrands. Bars are nice but tougher to transact.

You can keep tabs on the spot price of gold in the London Fixing which is priced twice daily.

http://www.lbma.org.uk/statistics_current.htm

There are several ways to buy gold coin.

From a local dealer, or online.

Because there is such a high demand for physical gold (as protection against an increasingly worthless dollar) you'll likely be paying stiff premiums to the spot market prices (the London Fixing).

Here is an online dealer that is reputable:

http://www.nwtmint.com/

There is a precedent for the U.S. Gov't to expropriate gold (declare it illegal). That is why it's not a bad idea to have it stored discreetly somewhere ... or in a foreign safe deposit box (Canada is the closest).

There are alternatives.

You can purchase shares in the gold commodity as an ETF on a stock exchange.

NYSE: GLD

Also, there are online services where you can buy physical gold and have it stored in 3rd party custody.

http://www.bullionvault.com

You have the option of New York, London, and Zurich for custody. I would choose Zurich for the reason mentioned above (fed.gov expropriation).

Of course, you're exposing yourself to custody risk when doing this.

Happy gold-bugging. ;)

30 cal slut
12-19-08, 07:43
Must read btw:

"The Federal War on Gold"

http://www.lewrockwell.com/hornberger/hornberger114.html

:eek:

Mo_Zam_Beek
12-19-08, 08:48
Google: Gold Commex Default

scottp999
12-19-08, 09:40
Best online dealer is www.apmex.com. Done business with them for 3+ years, never a single problem.

FirstSpear
12-19-08, 11:20
Best online dealer is www.apmex.com. Done business with them for 3+ years, never a single problem.

+1 for apmex.

Flash Point
12-19-08, 15:30
Thanks much.

AwaySooner
12-19-08, 22:44
+1 for APMEX.

Don't use NWT. http://www.atg.wa.gov/pressrelease.aspx?&id=20994

Outlander Systems
12-19-08, 22:54
+1 to Kitco.com

Last time I looked, you could only buy bullion, but there's a chance there's still some around.

My local "Silver Dude" had someone come in and buy his entire supply of silver in $9,999 increments. I mean ALL of it.

This shit's gettin' to be like P-Mags.

Savior 6
12-19-08, 23:40
Wow guys, good info. That took me on a 30min sabtical. I came to this site to look at guns, BUT money is good too. Thanks

thedog
12-20-08, 01:16
apmex rocks!! Also check out goldline.com they will send you an investment portfolio/info kit for free. The website also posts precious metal prices daili/hourly.

DOg

sproc
12-20-08, 10:43
My local "Silver Dude" had someone come in and buy his entire supply of silver in $9,999 increments.
That someone is breaking the law. Splitting a transaction into multiple sub-10K purchases (aka "structuring") to avoid the reporting requirements is illegal. I wouldn't try that if I were you.

30 cal slut
12-20-08, 11:05
+1 for APMEX.

Don't use NWT. http://www.atg.wa.gov/pressrelease.aspx?&id=20994

wow. thx for the update. things really went to shit around 9/15/08 when Lehman went TU.

ra2bach
12-21-08, 11:12

pretty expensive compared to other dealers.

Submariner
12-26-08, 12:45
9:30p ET Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Dear Friend of GATA and Gold:

And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense and myrrh.

— Matthew 2:11

Matthew doesn’t spell them out, so we can only guess at the reasons of the Magi. The first gift to the holy child was gold. But jewelry or monetary gold? The noble metal of sovereign kings, the wealth preserver of sovereign individuals, or the currency of the persecuted and the refugee, such as the child and his parents shortly would become? Scripture seems to affirm only gold’s universality. But that is quite enough — indeed, the whole point.

Those of us who pursue gold’s ancient monetary purposes do not worship the cold, dead metal, no matter how beautiful its presentation; we are not idolaters. We pursue what the metal’s monetary function advances: individual liberty and fair dealing irrespective of nation or tribe. We would grant that to all regardless of whether this holiday means anything to them. And far from rooting for or betting on the end of civilization, as apologists for the current international monetary system accuse us of doing, we pursue a better day — a day, for those who can envision it, with nice capital gains, to be sure, but capital gains that do not have to be spent on guns, ammunition, freeze-dried food, and ventilation equipment. For we like living above ground; we are not the gnomes of Zurich. And of course what has driven the world into the ground lately is not gold but a system of central banking that has sought to destroy gold. Gold, the gift of the Magi, increasingly looks like a big part of the world’s way back up.

So merry Christmas to our Christian friends, happy Hanukkah to our Jewish friends, and fraternal greetings to all our other friends in the golden circle around the world. The Magi had their reasons and we have ours.

CHRIS POWELL, Secretary/Treasurer
Gold Anti-Trust Action Committee Inc.