PDA

View Full Version : If You Think Field Stripping a Ruger MK I - II is a Pain...

AndyLate
05-13-22, 09:48
I just installed VQ sears and Clark hammer bushings+pins on my 2 MKIIs. It made a significant difference on both my 5.5" bull barrel target and my 4" standard model.

If you dread stripping one for cleaning, don't even think about changing the sear or hammer bushing+pin. Or even adjusting overtravel on the factory "target" trigger.

I had previously installed a steel AMT trigger on the MK512 and swapped the target trigger from it into my standard model. After the sear swap, I need to find a longer set screw for the AMT trigger - the trigger travel is reduced so much the current overtravel screw is practically falling out before a change can be felt.

TIPS:
* A pair of tweezers is a huge help with the sear install.
* A small C clamp makes installing the new hammer bushing simple.
* Remove the bolt hold open mechanism completely when adjusting the factory target trigger overtravel so you can lift the trigger high enough to adjust the set screw without removing the hammer, safety, and bolt stop thumb piece every time. You will have to push the trigger pin out and lift the trigger a few times to get the overtravel set. Insert the trigger pin fully between adjustments. Its a PITA.
* If you have a spare hammer pin, you can insert it from the right side to hold the hammer and safety in place when you remove or install the bolt stop thumbpiece.
* Install the mainspring housing and test before re-assembling the pistol.

The safeties on both my pistols drag on the VQ sears. I have to relieve the safety notch on my MK512 at some point. The safety applies, but it doesn't snap into place.

Andy

markm
05-13-22, 09:51
God... I remember those days. I used to shoot the piss out of my Ruger Mk 1. An old, classic example of American mediocrity in design.

05-13-22, 10:27
I just bought a Mark IV 22/45 lite. It’s so much easier to take apart.

gaijin
05-13-22, 10:54
Oh yeah. I remember getting a few calls beginning with; “ Uh, I took my Ruger .22 apart to try and clean up the trigger. Do you know how……”.
Since any effort on my part was gratis, I always declined, avowing NO knowledge of the procedure(s).

AndyLate
05-13-22, 11:29
God... I remember those days. I used to shoot the piss out of my Ruger Mk 1. An old, classic example of American mediocrity in design.

I couldn't disagree more. They were designed to be manufactured to a price point. There were many nicer 22 autos manufactured since the Standard model was introduced, but very few are still being sold.

Andy

pinzgauer
05-13-22, 15:03
I couldn't disagree more. They were designed to be manufactured to a price point. There were many nicer 22 autos manufactured since the Standard model was introduced, but very few are still being sold.

AndySame, you just have to remember the trick in reassembling which is the invert the pistol horizontally.

When you do that it takes no longer to reassemble than any other pistol.

I used to shoot my 5.5 inch bull barrel stainless in silhouette (ihmsa) competition along with my 7br.

Briefly Browning made a very nice target version 22 with a six or seven inch barrel that I wished I had bought as it had decent sights and was just a little bit easier to shoot due to the longer barrel.

Outside of a Smith model 41 there's nothing else I would rather have than the rugers. I know the new plastic frame Smith and similar get rave reviews, but the rugers hold their value a lot more.

I found my son the trail version of a sig Hammerli 22 and it is a wonderful pistol, except it uses plastic magazines.

If I were buying one now I'd probably get a 22/45 just for the aftermarket support and ergonomics.

grizzman
05-13-22, 17:07
This is the reason I never bought a MK until the IVs came out. I'm pretty sure either of my Democrat nieces (that have probably never touched a pistol before) could figure out how to disassemble and reassemble the MK IV without instructions.

SteyrAUG
05-13-22, 17:30

.22 Type 14 Nambu.

AndyLate
05-13-22, 17:39
This is the reason I never bought a MK until the IVs came out. I'm pretty sure either of my Democrat nieces (that have probably never touched a pistol before) could figure out how to disassemble and reassemble the MK IV without instructions.

My Dad didn't buy one before the MK IV either (well, he did buy my 1st MKII).

There are some 22 autos that are better than the Ruger Standard/MKI-IV, but a lot more that are worse. They are great plinkers and decent target pistols for the price. It takes a pretty stunning number of rounds to wear one out and they are not terribly picky about which ammo they run.

Andy

AndyLate
05-13-22, 17:42
.22 Type 14 Nambu.

Better looking though.

Andy

GNXII
05-14-22, 16:28
I found a pristine Ruger Mk 2 Target model that had been posted on the clubs bulletin board. The seller was still present soI introduced myself to him and his buddy. He told maybe i5bhad about 300 rinds through the 6 mags in total, hadn’t been used in the better part of a decade or more! When I asked the guy why he was selling it, his buddy giggled & said “$75 to reassemble his gun after messing it up 3X that’s why!”…what did I get myself into…

AndyLate
05-14-22, 16:34
I found a pristine Mk 2 Target model at posted on the clubs bulletin board. When I asked the the guy why he was selling it, his buddy giggled & said “$75 to reassemble his gun after messing it up 3X that’s why!”…what didI get myself into…

Follow the instructions in the manual to the letter, its really not hard. Now a MKIII with a mag inserted backwards? Good luck...

Andy

pag23
05-14-22, 18:13
I just bought a Mark IV 22/45 lite. It’s so much easier to take apart.

That is a reason I got mine...

GNXII
05-14-22, 20:14
Follow the instructions in the manual to the letter, its really not hard. Now a MKIII with a mag inserted backwards? Good luck...

Andy
Jesus that’s bad! How did that get solved…

The_War_Wagon
05-14-22, 21:05
MKIII reassembly is the bear!!!

jsbhike
05-14-22, 21:54
If you ever get a trigger kit with a reduced mainspring, just ignore it.

Makes for a mushy trigger and a total PITA to put back together(and again when you put the original back in).

Similar in concept to a 1911 mainspring assembly, but instead of the cap with the divot and guiding tail that provides some control, the Ruger is a ball bearing sitting on top of the spring.

AndyLate
05-14-22, 23:33
Jesus that’s bad! How did that get solved…

No personal experience, I just know it ties up the pistol until you get the mag back out. I think you can take a grip panel off and free the mag without a lot of drama.

MKIII reassembly is the bear!!!

Its funny to me that Ruger actually increased the difficulty of field stripping and assembling the pistol by adding the MKIII mag safety.

Andy

jsbhike
05-15-22, 07:50
No personal experience, I just know it ties up the pistol until you get the mag back out. I think you can take a grip panel off and free the mag without a lot of drama.

Its funny to me that Ruger actually increased the difficulty of field stripping and assembling the pistol by adding the MKIII mag safety.

Andy

There was a step that sometimes needed to be done that(as far as I know) never made it into the Mk III manual. I found numerous discussion board threads where someone hit that issue and asked for online help and dozens would respond with how to proceed based on their talking to Ruger customer service.

Not a fan of magazine disconnects in the first place, put sticking one in a pistol that requires dry firing to disassemble has to be one of the most ignorant things I have ever came across.

05-17-22, 19:21
….Not a fan of magazine disconnects in the first place, put sticking one in a pistol that requires dry firing to disassemble has to be one of the most ignorant things I have ever came across.

The magazine disconnect was the first thing I removed on my old Mark III and the first thing I am removing on my new Mark IV 22/45.
I ordered the “Blast Pack” from Tandemkross that includes a part to remove the magazine disconnect.

AndyLate
05-18-22, 07:29
I learned yesterday that the MKIIIs also have an internal safety lock.

The MKII was an actual upgrade with a last round bolt hold open and allowing the bolt to be retracted with the safety applied.

The MKIII allows easier mag changes and has some neat models, but the nanny additions make it a poor choice in my opinion.

I would rather have a MKII 22-45 if I was worried about tactical mag changes on a plinker.

The MKIV at least simplifies take down.

Andy

P.S. It seems I don't care for the MKIII...

05-18-22, 16:37
In my opinion, anyone looking to buy a Ruger Mark pistol today should get one of the Mark IV models.

gsd2053
05-22-22, 08:02
In my opinion, anyone looking to buy a Ruger Mark pistol today should get one of the Mark IV models.

I agree the MKIV with a Volquartsen accuracy kit is as good as they get.

It's not the assembly of the other mk models is to hard. It's that it's not necessary. Even before the MKIV. Prying out the take down lever in the lower caused scratches.

I really like the MKIV just push a button, and all CNC also.

AndyLate
05-23-22, 06:53
Even before the MKIV. Prying out the take down lever in the lower caused scratches.

I just use my thumbnail, a piece of cord, or even picture hanging wire to open the latch.

MKIV is a real upgrade, though.

Andy

The_War_Wagon
05-23-22, 08:27
If You Think Field Stripping a Ruger MK I - II is a Pain...
Andy

...fieldstripping & reassembling a MK.III will disavow you of that!!!

AndyLate
06-15-22, 07:21
I brought my 5.5" bull barrel MKII to the range Sunday and ran through 300 mixed rounds that had accumulated in my "catch all box". It functioned perfectly with bulk SV and HV ammo and made the deep cleaning I did seem worthwhile. I wish I had some idea of the round count on this pistol. I bought it new in the mid 90s and have fired it enough to replace 2 recoil spring assemblies, polish 1/2 the blue off the grip frame, and wear out springs on the original magazines.

If you need a .22 "survival" pistol, it would be hard to beat a stainless MKII standard, IMHO. There just is not much to break, lose, or get loose (the only screws are the grip screws).

Andy

pinzgauer
06-15-22, 12:09
As much as folks rag on them, I will always have a mk II on hand. (And probably my only 22)

mark5pt56
06-16-22, 05:43
I took apart two older 22/45's to install the Tandem Cross kits and haven't taken them apart since. That was 6 or more years ago=I just hose it down here and there.

ssc
06-19-22, 20:38
I have a few MK2's in one of my safes. Back in the day, I bought a 5 1/2 inch bull barrel. Very accurate. The first time I took it apart to clean it was easy. The reassembly gave me fits. After a couple of hours, I threw it across the garage. I left it there for a few days. I finally picked up the pieces and with my tail between my legs went to the local gunsmith. (Bain & Davis) The old guy looks at the parts. I still remember the look on his face. The conversation:

Having trouble assembling your gun?

"Yes."

Throw it against a wall?

"Yes. How can you tell?"

You bent the frame. Don't feel bad, I get at least 5 of these a week.

He then assembles the gun in a few seconds. Then proceeds to take it apart and shows me how to assemble it. The trick was to tilt the gun at a certain angle so the sear or something was in a certain position and then assemble. This was many years ago, so I may be remembering it wrong, but he had me do it a few times.

Cheers, Steve

63Qcode
06-20-22, 09:31
Talk about timing on a thread . Took my grandson to the range Father`s day after letting him go through my gun safe to see what he wanted to try . Very first pick was my Ruger Mark II Stainless Target . I`m trying to talk him out of it , but he insists .... and his Mother didn`t help any by saying she wanted to fire it also .
So , about 400 to 500 rounds later , it`s here sitting on my desk waiting for me to decide to clean it . BTW , he loves the gun .... hit every plate on the plate rack and then some steel at about 50 yards . Tried a B8 target and he put everything in the black at 15 yards .
Switched to my P365XL and things went off the rail , so he went back to the Mark II . FWIW , I really don`t hate the gun , just the takedown and reassembly . But , it was a great afternoon with grandson #1 .

AndyLate
06-20-22, 16:30
Talk about timing on a thread . Took my grandson to the range Father`s day after letting him go through my gun safe to see what he wanted to try . Very first pick was my Ruger Mark II Stainless Target . I`m trying to talk him out of it , but he insists .... and his Mother didn`t help any by saying she wanted to fire it also .
So , about 400 to 500 rounds later , it`s here sitting on my desk waiting for me to decide to clean it . BTW , he loves the gun .... hit every plate on the plate rack and then some steel at about 50 yards . Tried a B8 target and he put everything in the black at 15 yards .
Switched to my P365XL and things went off the rail , so he went back to the Mark II . FWIW , I really don`t hate the gun , just the takedown and reassembly . But , it was a great afternoon with grandson #1 .

You can always just spray it with cleaner and run a boresnake through the barrel ;)

The main thing is that you enjoyed your Father's Day.

Andy

pinzgauer
06-22-22, 08:36
Guys, Mk 1 & 2s are just not that hard.

Look in an instruction manual, watch a YouTube video or even one of the diagrams on the internet.

The trick that gets everyone is you have to tilt the pistol when you reassemble the mainspring assembly.

I'll agree that maybe it's a little bit non intuitive, but it's not hard and it's not really any slower than many other weapons once you know how.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2020/02/04/tfb-field-strip-ruger-mk-iii/

Wildcat
06-26-22, 22:49
I have found that a spent 22 shell can help pull the takedown lever out of its recess.
You may have to bend the mouth of the shell slightly to make it easier to slip over the point of the lever but it will cam it out without harming the finish (assuming you are in a 'hammer down' condition).

kerplode
06-27-22, 15:08
I never found the MKI through MKIII series to be all that difficult to field strip or put back together. There's kind of a feel for it, I guess, but it never posed me much trouble. I use one of the loop ends of a paperclip to pull the latch open for disassembly.

I did run into trouble with installing a VQ sear in one of my MKIII 22/45s, though. No matter what I did, it wouldn't go back correctly. Finally, I sent pictures to VQ and explained that it wouldn't go together. They responded "Oh yeah, no wonder...That sear is for a MKIV. Must have been mis-packaged." GRRR, but also LOL! They sent a replacement right a way and it went back together easy-peasy with the right part.