PDA

View Full Version : Afghan questions

yugo308guy
12-19-08, 10:46
Hi all, I'm new here and had a few questions for some of you. I just bought an LMT upper with a Noveske Afghan barrel, 13.2" LaRue rail and a Vortex FH perm attached.

What optic would most optimize this set up and at what distance would this set up best be used, given the terminal ballistics of 5.56?

Also, is this a barrel that needs to be "babied" and shot slowly, not allowing heat to be built up, or was this made to be fired with some high volume of fire assumed?

AirTrafficControl
12-19-08, 11:06
Breaking in or pussyfooting barrels is complete nonsense. Shoot that thing!

decodeddiesel
12-19-08, 11:11
Hi all, I'm new here and had a few questions for some of you. I just bought an LMT upper with a Noveske Afghan barrel, 13.2" LaRue rail and a Vortex FH perm attached.

What optic would most optimize this set up and at what distance would this set up best be used, given the terminal ballistics of 5.56?

Also, is this a barrel that needs to be "babied" and shot slowly, not allowing heat to be built up, or was this made to be fired with some high volume of fire assumed?

The proprietary chamber dimensions which Noveske uses (Mod 0 Match) are designed for accurate full auto fire. I would still follow good break in procedures since it's a stainless barrel but once that's done you not going to kill it with a high volume of fire.

As far as optics go it all depends what YOU plan to use the rifle for. You're way too vague and there way too much information on this forum for such an open ended question. That being said if it were my upper I would probably put something along the lines of an ACOG TA31F or TA31-RCO on it.

decodeddiesel
12-19-08, 11:11

With a chrome lined barrel I would agree 100%, but with a stainless it's a little different story.

yugo308guy
12-19-08, 12:28
Thanks for the responses. I should have prefaced this with the fact that I am not a HSLD guy, and won't be relying on this to safe my ass(short of SHTF). I was a SGT in the Infantry years ago, but never saw combat, but I do have some experience with this stuff. Anyways...

Actually, I have bought it used, so I am hoping he followed any break in procedures that Noveske recommends. He seems to be a reputable guy, from the info I have gathered on him here and at AR15.com. It was built by Giffman, who seems to be a regular here I gather.

Sorry I was vague with my question. I am new to optics, and what I am trying to figure out is, what kind of optic best suits this style of barrel, shooter notwithstanding? Because of the 14" barrel, I am assuming this is not a 700 meter type weapon, so I don't think I need a high magnification, but I would think this really shines between 150-300 meters, while at the same time with the short barrel should suffice(only negative being the weight) as a CQB carbine. So I think variable 1-4x should be good?

I was thinking about the ACOGs as well as the AccuPoint or maybe the Leupold CQT. I think I would really prefer a variable optic, but I am not sure and wanted others opinions on the capabilities of the barrel.

My use will be limited to range time and probably at distances of not more than 200 meters most of the time. I need to stay below $900.

ETA: BTW, I should add, my 44 year old eyes suck!( I use reading glasses), and I would prefer(not need) a range finding reticle.

nickdrak
12-19-08, 12:53
According to the care instructions I received with my Afghan that I ordered directly from Noveske last month: "We have NOT found any benefits when using an extended break-in procedure."

Here ya go:

http://i41.tinypic.com/287zmva.jpg

AirTrafficControl
12-19-08, 12:58
According to the care instructions I received with my Afghan that I ordered directly from Noveske last month: "We have NOT found any benefits when using an extended break-in procedure."

Here ya go:

http://i42.tinypic.com/ettyiq.jpgthank you. Breaking procedures are a complete waste of time and ammo.

billybronco
12-19-08, 13:00
CQ/T's are nice and all....i owned one; however, sold it b/c the thing is an absolute BRICK.

eye relied is LOUSY at best and while mine held an excellent zero, the reticle illumination was piss poor (as well as piss colored, actually).

spend an equal amount of money and buy a 2 or 3 X ACOG.

if you want a bit of maginification. it won't take much more than that to make lethal hits out to 3-400 yards with a Noveske barrel, even for a novice shooter.

billybronco
12-19-08, 13:01
RELIEF....pardon me.

MIKE G
12-19-08, 13:31

JBnTX
12-19-08, 13:44

That's right.

Shoot it, shoot it and shoot it some more.

Try to break it or wear it out. You'll be surprised!

You'll give up before it does.

yugo308guy
12-19-08, 19:46
Doc, i would LOVE to have a Nightforce! No way could I swing it tho! Also would love a S&B, but that ain't gonna happen either. No, $900 is my top end on this one. Thanks for the suggestions tho.

nickdrak
12-19-08, 19:51
I also plan on getting a 1-4 Nightforce for my Afghan upper once fund allow. If $900 is your limit, I would suggest holding off and saving the extra $200-$300 it will cost you to buy the Nightforce+LaRue SPR mount. Shop around!