PDA

View Full Version : LMT SOPMOD buttstock

OH58D
12-19-08, 11:04
I've got an LMT Defender 2000 with their Gen II buttstock. Considering the SOPMOD stock itself without the extension tube, etc. Will the SOPMOD install just as easily as the Gen II? In other words, slide off the original stock, and slide on the SOPMOD?

OH58D

decodeddiesel
12-19-08, 11:13
Yes. The buffer tube that comes with the SOPMOD is coated in teflon (or some other low friction coating) but other than that it's a regular mil-spec 6 position buffer tube. The SOPMOD should fit right on there.

Code3Patriot
12-19-08, 11:15
The Gen II and SOPMOD come on and off the same. It is a three second swap.

OH58D
12-19-08, 13:06
Since we are on this subject, is the LMT SOPMOD longer than the GEN II ?

OH58D

decodeddiesel
12-19-08, 13:49
Yes, significantly.

spamsammich
12-19-08, 18:35
be careful not to use something like brake cleaner to clean the RE, it will strip the dry lube right off. :(

Magsz
12-20-08, 01:48
Yes, significantly.

Really? I thought it was only a half inch?

Also, what denotes the difference between generation 1 and 2? Just the sling swivel cup?

decodeddiesel
12-20-08, 10:39
Really? I thought it was only a half inch?

Also, what denotes the difference between generation 1 and 2? Just the sling swivel cup?

It's one of those things where 1/2" feel like a foot and an oz feels like a pound.

Yes the swivel cup. To my knowledge the Gen 2 was never a regular issue item, but having that cup would be nice.

Gunrider
12-20-08, 12:14
It's one of those things where 1/2" feel like a foot and an oz feels like a pound.

Yes the swivel cup. To my knowledge the Gen 2 was never a regular issue item, but having that cup would be nice.

My ex-wife says 1/2 inch is not significant.

:)

Rider79
12-20-08, 22:50
just got 2 SOPMOD LMT lowers today, and the stock is extremely tight and kinda difficult to adjust. Is this normal?

Magsz
12-21-08, 00:50
Better to be tight than loose as far as im concerned.

It will loosen up over time just a bit.

Also, im comparing a generation 1 and 2 LMT buttstock and they both appear to be the exact same length.

Army Chief
12-21-08, 01:55
It is normal for these to be tight when initially-fitted, and while that does diminish somewhat over time, I actually consider it a good thing, just as Magsz has observed. It isn't as if quick buttstock adjustments are part of the regular manual of arms and/or (most) manipulation skill sets, so this isn't something you're even like to notice once you've got it set where you want it. Even with everything else out there right now, the SOPMOD is still a personal favorite.

Chief

decodeddiesel
12-21-08, 11:06
Better to be tight than loose as far as im concerned.

It will loosen up over time just a bit.

Also, im comparing a generation 1 and 2 LMT buttstock and they both appear to be the exact same length.

I also have found the SOPMOD to be extremely tight on non-LMT buffer tubes.

I should have clarified, the SOPMOD gen 1 and gen 2 are identical other than the swivel cup. The SOPMOD is longer than the standard Gen 2 M4 stock.

Magsz
12-21-08, 19:27
Roger that!!

Thanks for the clarification Deco, i was confused for a second.