PDA

View Full Version : Sig P229 Elite vs HK USP 40 Compact

DarinFred
12-19-08, 11:23
I need some advice. I am looking for a new bedside table pistol in .40SW. Some of the specs that I have considered are: must have a rail for a Surefire X400 (when it comes out), must be a mid-sized platform, and it must be DA/SA. I've narrowed it down to the following:

Sig Sauer P229 Elite in .40
HK USP .40 Compact

I currently have a P228 in 9mm and I absolutely LOVE the ergonomics. I held the USP at the local fun shop yesterday and it felt just as good as the P228. The Sig is slightly more expensive, but that doesn't matter.

Which one would you pick and why? Thanks!

sigmundsauer
12-19-08, 12:18
An HK P2000 V2 LEM is my choice.

Tim

Palmguy
12-19-08, 12:50
I'll echo the P2000 recommendation, although in V3 if it must be DA/SA. Much more comfortable and ergonomic grip IMO and no bastardized rail adapter required to mount a Surefire.

ToddG
12-19-08, 13:01
The SIG "Elite" is a marketing ploy. The beavertail actually pushes your hand lower than you could get it without the beavertail, meaning you've got less recoil control rather than more. The SRT is worth its weight in gold, though. My advice, if you choose SIG, is to get a standard P229R and then have the SRT installed afterwards.

But between the choices mentioned so far, I'd have to say the P2000 gets my vote, too.

fireftrjef
12-19-08, 23:48
I own a non-rail 229 and a P2000 both in .40...I recommend the P2000.

Everything the USP is but with the modular grips. Mine feels like it was made for my hand. Same capacity as 229 but lighter - if you decide to carry it. Oh, and I recommend V3 - DA/SA too. Some have had negative opinions on the HK trigger but my P2000 has always been smooth from day one.

JohnN
12-20-08, 00:11
The SIG "Elite" is a marketing ploy. The beavertail actually pushes your hand lower than you could get it without the beavertail, meaning you've got less recoil control rather than more. The SRT is worth its weight in gold, though. My advice, if you choose SIG, is to get a standard P229R and then have the SRT installed afterwards.

But between the choices mentioned so far, I'd have to say the P2000 gets my vote, too.

Can the SRT trigger package be installed in circa early 90's 226's? If so, by whom and approx. cost?

ToddG
12-20-08, 00:13
JohnN -- Yes, by any trained armorer. The trick is getting your hands on a SRT sear and SRT safety lever. SIG restricts their sale to prevent people from doing what you're trying to do. They'd much rather have you buy a complete gun.

gtmtnbiker98
12-20-08, 13:39
The SRT is the best thing since sliced bread and the Platinum Elite Series (joking on the latter, of course). I really enjoy the SRT and have the SRT on four of my Sigs. The P229 Elite is nice and if you go this route, spend the extra and get the Elite Stainless.

variablebinary
12-21-08, 08:48
If you're really interested in a 229, I'd highly recommend a 229 SAS GEN II model. Best thing SIG has done in a long time. SRT is gold, and there is no rail, which makes for a great CCW. Stay away from beavertails because they suck. SIG's already has funky ergos, and the beavertail makes things even worse.

However, I'd probably choose a USPc .40 LEM first. 9mm would be even better. Recoil is a bit sharp in .40 with my preferred 155gr Rangers.