PDA

View Full Version : YAY for me! Here is my new 9mm build.

MarineSniper8541
12-19-08, 12:26
Colt lower
RRA 9mm upper
RRA bolt (ramped)
RRA mag block with bolt hold-open
RRA 9mm buffer
Brownells chrome silicon buffer spring
KNS Gen2 Mod2 pins in FDE
DPMS type large pin hammer
PRI 9mm Gas Buster
Troy front and rear BUIS
Aimpoint CompML2
A.R.M.S. M68 throw lever mount with cantilever spacer
Tango Down stubby QD vertical grip
Magpul CTR commercial and MIAD
Yankee Hill light weight rail
TROS 5" 9mm 3-lug barrel
Yankee Hill Wraith XL 3-lug

Refinishing on the lower, upper, rail and receiver extension done by LRM Tech with Norrell Finish moly resin in flat dark earth.

This thing holds a 3 inch group at 100 yards with 115 grain FMJ with only about 4 inches of drop from the muzzle.
At 25 yards and in, you can blow the X ring out with ease. There is almost zero bounce and the recoil is VERY manageable.
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r237/henleykg/PIC-0066.jpg

billybronco
12-19-08, 12:32
uhhhhhh...that thing is TOUGH.

Dave L.
12-19-08, 15:27
That's pretty sexy, congrats.

warpigM-4
12-19-08, 15:43
that is one sexy beast .did I mention I hate you:D J/K

decodeddiesel
12-19-08, 15:45
I really want to get this 9mm build I have planned rolling. This is really pushing me along. It looks great!

LonghunterCO
12-20-08, 16:43
What are you using for a buffer and buffer spring?

Nice build.

MarineSniper8541
12-20-08, 19:59
What are you using for a buffer and buffer spring?

Nice build.

RRA 9mm buffer and Brownells chrome silicon carbine buffer.

Avenger29
12-21-08, 18:04
What kind of mags are those?

LonghunterCO
12-21-08, 18:29
What kind of mags are those?

It looks like Poly Pro-Mags with Magpul pulls

MarineSniper8541
12-27-08, 20:13
It looks like Poly Pro-Mags with Magpul pulls

Yes,

They are Coyote Tan Promags. They work very well and are not expensive.

Mark71
12-28-08, 00:46
Very nice! The gun looks great and must be a blast to shoot at the range.

ZZBLAZEZZ
12-28-08, 19:38
This is definitely inspiring.

MarineSniper8541
12-28-08, 20:21
I'm glad you guys like it.

One thing to keep in mind if you want to start a build like mine. Only the Yankee Hill rails have a wide enough internal diameter to accomodate a subgun suppressor. Most rails will accept pistol suppressors. But true subgun suppressors need a wide internal diameter.

The balance and feel of my new build is honestly incredible. It feel so good in your hands and shoulder that it is hard to put down. It is so light and ergonomic. It has become my favorite AR. And with the ability to drop a wild hog at 100 yards, compact package, easy to wield and manipulate inside of a vehicle....it's just an incredible weapon.

Jay Cunningham
12-28-08, 20:22
I think it is very cool!

redtazdog
12-28-08, 21:39
I'm glad you guys like it.

One thing to keep in mind if you want to start a build like mine. Only the Yankee Hill rails have a wide enough internal diameter to accomodate a subgun suppressor. Most rails will accept pistol suppressors. But true subgun suppressors need a wide internal diameter.

The balance and feel of my new build is honestly incredible. It feel so good in your hands and shoulder that it is hard to put down. It is so light and ergonomic. It has become my favorite AR. And with the ability to drop a wild hog at 100 yards, compact package, easy to wield and manipulate inside of a vehicle....it's just an incredible weapon.
The JP hanguards work tooo
http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.4_hg.php

MarineSniper8541
12-29-08, 08:07
Well, that is...Yankee Hill is the only company that makes a "quad" rail that will accomodate a subgun can.

redtazdog
12-29-08, 08:49
Well, that is...Yankee Hill is the only company that makes a "quad" rail that will accomodate a subgun can.
You can put Quad rails on the JP or even more than Quad.

Hal
12-30-08, 13:34
I was wondering if you'd mind providing cost to build?
Also, in general, how did you make your component selections?
Is building an AR from scratch extremely difficult, or does it just require patience, common sense, and ability to follow directions?

I don't have one yet, and have been trying to decide whether to buy parts to keep swapping out a .223 AR, buy a completed 9mm like Bushmaster's Carbon 15, or build a unit from scratch. (I'm just now exploring/entering the AR world. Don't have anything yet, but researching for first .223, as well as a 9mm to save $ for practice.)

Thx,
Hal

MarineSniper8541
12-30-08, 13:58
I was wondering if you'd mind providing cost to build?
Also, in general, how did you make your component selections?
Is building an AR from scratch extremely difficult, or does it just require patience, common sense, and ability to follow directions?

I don't have one yet, and have been trying to decide whether to buy parts to keep swapping out a .223 AR, buy a completed 9mm like Bushmaster's Carbon 15, or build a unit from scratch. (I'm just now exploring/entering the AR world. Don't have anything yet, but researching for first .223, as well as a 9mm to save $ for practice.)

Thx,
Hal

I could provide cost to you but it would not be fair because I get everything at dealer cost. But if you go around and google and price all of the items I listed on my post and also include the cost of magazines and the lower reciever and lower receiver parts...as well as butt stock, pistol grip and rail pannels. You will get an idea of what it costs to build it.

Having said that, I do NOT suggest that you make your first build as a 9mm. They are largely custom jobs and take a little bit of fitting and tuning in order to get them to run perfectly. They can be problematic if you do not buy them as complete builds.

I made my selections based upon the following...in order of importance:

1. Durability and Reliability
2. Compatibility
3. Price
4. Availability

I already had a Colt Match Target lower with large hammer/trigger pins. So I used that in my build. I knew I would need a DPMS type (neutered M16 hammer) because I wanted to get the bolt ramped for less wear on my lower receiver parts. So I had to go to www.m60joe.com and get a large pin DPMS type hammer from him.

Then I had to decide on what mag block to get. Bolt hold open was a MUST for me so I went with Rock River. Cproducts has a new one that is just as good but it was not out yet at the time.

I got my bolt and other 9mm specific parts from the RRA web site. They are also one of the only carriers of the 9mm Gas Buster charging handle. The standard Gas Buster is not compatible with a 9mm bolt.

I chose the Yankee Hill light weight rail because the suppressor would fit inside of it and also because it is not expensive....and is very light.

I chose the Troy iron sights because they can be had in dark earth and are very low profile. They are expensive though.

I chose Magpul furniture because I like it and we are a Magpul dealer so...duh.

The Tango Down stubby forward grip is far cheaper than the LaRue FUG and comes in matching dark earth. I like the stubby because it works better for a CQB weapon.

I have Cproducts magazines as well as Promag magazines. Both work very well. Promag are synthetic, match color and are light...and cheap.

The TROS 5" barrel was chosen because of quality and the 3-lug feature. I wanted a pistol length barrel that has the 3 lug feature for my suppressor so that I would not have to worry about always having to check the tightness of the suppressor on a threaded barrel. Also the quick detach is nice.

The Aimpoint CompM2 was chosen because I hate the EOTech's shitty battery life.

I used the A.R.M.S. cantilever because a reflex sight is supposed to be far forward, not back by your face.

Hope this answers your questions.

LonghunterCO
12-30-08, 17:46
I think that DD is going to offer a FF handguard that will allow for a can under it. I would probably increase your cost over the YHM.

wahoo95
01-28-09, 12:10
MarineSniper8541, that has to be one of the sweetest 9mm builds I've seen so far....nice work! I love the color!!!

I think that DD is going to offer a FF handguard that will allow for a can under it. I would probably increase your cost over the YHM.

Yes DD has two quad rails that are suppressor compatible.....the M4 Rail and the limited production SSC Lite Rail pictured here on mine.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb244/a996hawk/IMG_2481.jpg