PDA

View Full Version : The Gun Industry and Kalifornia

HES
12-19-08, 14:53
So in light of todays news, I have to ask. Why is it that the gun industry gives Kalifornia any business at all? why are competitions held there? Why do the gun writers do their reviews there? Why does the industry pour so much money into that state?

LOKNLOD
12-19-08, 14:58
Because even with all the stupidity, there are a lot of people there and they spend a lot of money on the industry's products.

ToddG
12-19-08, 15:10
At least as of a few years ago, Californians purchased more new guns (via FFL) than the residents of any other state. They make up a significant portion of the industry's market. That's exactly why, when California passes an annoying law, the industry does what's necessary to stay legal there.

Dave L.
12-19-08, 15:18
At least as of a few years ago, Californians purchased more new guns (via FFL) than the residents of any other state. They make up a significant portion of the industry's market. That's exactly why, when California passes an annoying law, the industry does what's necessary to stay legal there.

So it's a matter of money rather than principals...

ToddG
12-19-08, 15:20
So it's a matter of money rather than principals...

Be careful, I've met someone who fell off a horse that high and broke more than a dozen bones.

But as long as we're talking about principals, which should the industry respect: yours or the people living in California who want to own guns?

Dave L.
12-19-08, 15:39
Be careful, I've met someone who fell off a horse that high and broke more than a dozen bones.

But as long as we're talking about principals, which should the industry respect: yours or the people living in California who want to own guns?

Todd,
I really don't have a horse in this race however, I do have a hard time believing they(the "assault weapon" industry) are not doing it for profit. I never said I was against the sale of guns in Cali, but they must make enough selling castrated weapons for it to be worth it.
I respect Barrett's decision not to sell his weapons to any LE in Cali after they banned his bread and butter. I also applaud him for putting the effort into the .416, which may be more lethal than .50.
...I'm on no high horse, just a squeaky desk chair made in China then shipped to Iraq.

Flash Point
12-19-08, 15:50
So in light of todays news

What news? Did I miss something?

ToddG
12-19-08, 15:54
I'm in no way criticizing Barrett. In a way, I respect his decision, too.

If gun companies stopped selling guns in every market where there were gun control laws, they'd all go out of business. And the people passing the gun control laws would win. Check & mate.

Furthermore, a company -- especially a publicly traded company -- has a responsibility to its stockholders to make profits. Companies that don't make profits go out of business. BHO certainly isn't going to sign a billion dollar bail out for the gun industry.

I do understand the motivation ... we'd all love to see the gun industry charge into California and take it back. But stopping shipments won't have that effect. All it will do is hand the gun grabbers the greatest victory in their history, deny Californians the ability to buy new guns on a greater and stricter scale than any law the California legislature has passed, and weaken the economic power of the gun companies.

decodeddiesel
12-19-08, 16:06

:confused:

HES
12-19-08, 17:29
Sorry about that. Here is a link (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=23583) to the article that kicked this off.

Oh and as for the industry and potential sales, I agree that it would be foolish for it to cut off a potential revenue stream via sales, but what I dont get is all the supporting business such as competitions, shows, publication, etc..