PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding nitriding

Slater
05-28-22, 11:15
Nitrided barrels seem to be common these days. My understanding is that this process is cheaper than chroming the bore, and is probably fine for most weekend/casual shooters in regards to barrel life.

Does the nitriding process impart any kind of corrosion resistance? Haven't read much about that particular factor.

Hulkstr8
05-28-22, 11:22
Yes, It's been my understanding that is one of the main benefits of the process.

sinister
05-28-22, 11:40
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?171789-Melonite-vs-Chrome-Lined-Longevity

markm
05-28-22, 12:23
I won't consider a nitrided barrel right now. We tried one faxon piece of shit, and that was enough to shy me away until there's some great proven track record from a reputable company.

Maybe in 5 years if a good company has had barrels out there with good feedback I might take another lookl

Straight Shooter
05-28-22, 12:36
I won't consider a nitrided barrel right now. We tried one faxon piece of shit, and that was enough to shy me away until there's some great proven track record from a reputable company.

Maybe in 5 years if a good company has had barrels out there with good feedback I might take another lookl

Id about bet an RC & Moon Pie that there are different..levels...for lack of a better word, of quality from say Faxon/PSA ect, than there would be with say Criterion, or any known good barrel maker. I could be wrong, I dont have access of course or means of proving it.
My Criterion Hybrid doesnt have enough rounds on it for me to expound upon it.

Slater
05-28-22, 12:49

Poor accuracy or premature wear?

mark5pt56
05-28-22, 14:54
If the application is done correctly WITH quality components, they are extremely accurate. I had Short Action Customs build a 6.5 CM bolt, had the barrel nitrided and that thing was a hammer. I forget? the barrel manufacturer though. When I spoke with Mark Gordon of SAC, I went 100% with his advice and did a 26.3" barrel based on test data showing it to be the best OAL. I had to sell the rig to fund a portion of my daughters Va Tech tuition, but that was more important. I do recall I ran JBM numbers, zeroed at 100 and went at each yardage to 1200 and scored first round hit on a 8" plate. IIRC it may have been a Kreiger? the initial heat treat of the steel has to be higher that the process or it will ruin the steel as I understand.

I know its a bolt gun, but if you start with good quality and have someone do it correctly, it's ok.

Clint
05-28-22, 17:32
Bore quality still matters.

Nitriding is well proven at this point.

When done properly on a quality barrel, the results are good.

ABNAK
05-28-22, 18:11
Bore quality still matters.

Nitriding is well proven at this point.

When done properly on a quality barrel, the results are good.

Given the choice I still wouldn't choose a nitrided barrel over a chrome lined one. YMMV.

Chrome lined > nitrided > non-treated.

ABNAK
05-28-22, 18:13
Nitrided barrels seem to be common these days. My understanding is that this process is cheaper than chroming the bore, and is probably fine for most weekend/casual shooters in regards to barrel life.

Does the nitriding process impart any kind of corrosion resistance? Haven't read much about that particular factor.

Which is why you see such an abundance of it these days. I'll pass, unless my only other choice is a non-treated/lined barrel.

05-29-22, 06:35

I think you’d consider Criterion reputable.

AndyLate
05-29-22, 12:40
Poor accuracy or premature wear?

I'm not Mark, obviously, but it was very poor accuracy and Faxon stated the low round count barrel had fired so many rounds it was worn out.

I had one Faxon Gunner that was very good, won't buy another after Mark's experience.

I would not judge all nitride barrels by Faxon or PSA.

Andy

Slater
05-29-22, 12:58
Well, that sucks. Many folks seem to have good luck with PSA barrels so possibly a lemon from the manufacturer?

Hulkstr8
05-30-22, 03:06
Does this help answer the OPs question about corrosion resistance?

05-30-22, 06:33
Does this help answer the OPs question about corrosion resistance?

I thought you answered it adequately. Yes, nitride is quite corrosion resistant. More so than phosphate, for sure.

Hulkstr8
05-30-22, 13:29
I thought you answered it adequately. Yes, nitride is quite corrosion resistant. More so than phosphate, for sure.

Okay, cool. I haven't run into a problem with the phosphate coating of a barrel corroding, but I'm starting to see more interest [online] in corrosion resistance for some reason.

georgeib
05-30-22, 14:53
Okay, cool. I haven't run into a problem with the phosphate coating of a barrel corroding, but I'm starting to see more interest [online] in corrosion resistance for some reason.

FWIW, I've had a couple very high quality chrome lined phosphate coated barrels start to "brown" after getting them good and hot and not re-oiling after shooting. The "brown" would come off on CLP coated rags with some elbow grease. I'm sure you already know this, but phosphate is not a great anti-corrosion coating, and really needs to be kept coated in a light oil such as CLP. It's designed to "hold" oil which acts as the corrosion inhibitor.