PDA

View Full Version : Finally made it past 3,000 rounds with my first AR(s)

Dusty T
05-30-22, 16:24
So in addition to the 6525 I was able to go back and get the 6450 a few weeks later See this thread (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?234455-Recommendations-on-my-first-AR)

I've been pretty busy as of late but I finally made it past 1,700 in the 5.56, and 1,600 in the 9mm. So far only a few hiccups within the first couple magazines for each, but ever since they have been 100%. I'm using the M193 I got as part of the original deal for the 6525, in the 6450 I'm using Federal NATO 124gr after reading up on it's use with military and police.

Since my plan was to get something for use during my rural/city commute I was curious to see how well each worked against a vehicle. I was a bit surprised to find that the 9mm seemed to usually do better punching through vehicles than the 556. The latter would sometimes fragment or deflect while the 9mm just pushed right through whatever was in it's way. Granted this was nothing formal, just some toying with a few vehicles I'm clearing from the property. I do plan to try a few more times before my scrapper comes.

I ran both with factory peeps for the first roughly 1k in each, that is until I found for a good price the scope I tried and liked years ago, the little mini-ACOG. It seemed like a perfect match for the 9mm so that is it's home for the foreseeable future. Very fast and seems just right for a self-defense type gun. If it continues to grow on me I may very well get a 2x version for the 6525.

I need to stock up on more 9mm ammunition and magazines for the 6450 as I only have two of the Colt ones, but I ordered one of the Metalform to try out and see if it's reliable. The 20 round versions are a perfect match but I'll likely also add a few 30's just in case. I also want to start making a list of spares to begin acquiring, things aren't looking good going forward.

Anyway, thanks for the input in that original thread :smile:

Here are my two boy's
https://i.postimg.cc/tgbjKdKC/M4-Twins.jpg

GH41
05-30-22, 17:18
Did you think you were posting this to Facebook?

Hammer_Man
05-30-22, 20:08
Cool update. I’m glad they’re both working out for you. I’m slightly jealous of the 5.56 carbine. Looks so close to a 723 carbine (Delta Carbine, Gothic Serpent, Blackhawk Down), all you need is an Aimpoint mounted to the carry handle.

05-30-22, 20:35
We need people posting about shooting guns here.

DG23
05-30-22, 20:40

THANK YOU sir! :)

ggammell
05-31-22, 06:17

I had a snarky comment in the hopper, but you have a point. A very good point.

markm
05-31-22, 08:10

But only about grip screws. :lol:

Entryteam
05-31-22, 08:19

Ahh... .the mating call of the wild curmudgeon.... complete in his native environment...... isn't she a beauty?

Dusty T
05-31-22, 08:44

I'm truly sorry about my post
I didn't mean to hurt your feelings
Here's a picture of a puppy to help you feel better about yourself...

https://i.postimg.cc/h4wN9Dy8/Aussy-Pup.jpg

Dusty T
05-31-22, 11:23

The nation needs more shooters and 2A supporters in general, as opposed to snark and hostility. I started shooting early then began hunting around 8 or 9, all the firearms I had up until just a few years ago were family hand me downs. So about two years ago when I went out looking for my own first handgun i was surprised by the attitudes I encountered, same for when I started looking at what ultimately became the two Colt's above and in the linked post.

It's one thing to make suggestions with context, provide first hand experience, etc, but it's another to come out swinging with attitude and condescension, something I experienced probably 2/3 of the time. I would ask if they had X or Y in stock for me to take a look at, and they would say "You don't want that, you want this". Or they might suggest something and I would check it out, but as soon as I said I didn't like it they would get all butt-hurt. As I mentioned in the thread I linked to I actually had two counter guys start arguing with each other over which was better, I ended up just walking out the door.

Looking for my first CCW handgun was a real eye-opener as well, I can see why so many people get pushed away from shooting before they even barely start, especially women. I had tried a friends Kahr K9 and really liked everything about it, but I wanted to try out other things just to compare and see if anything else peaked my interest. The most pervasive takeaway was that if I didn't buy a Glock and then immediately make X, Y, and Z modifications I was stupid. Ugh!

So yea I have no clue as too why Mr Grumpypants here got all worked up by my post, maybe he will come back and explain :sarcastic:

BTW
I not only ended up finding & buying a K9, I picked up a second as a spare. No Glock for me :dance3:

Dusty T
05-31-22, 11:23
Ahh... .the mating call of the wild curmudgeon.... complete in his native environment...... isn't she a beauty?
:lol:

Entryteam
05-31-22, 11:26
The nation needs more shooters and 2A supporters in general, as opposed to snark and hostility. I started shooting early then began hunting around 8 or 9, all the firearms I had up until just a few years ago were family hand me downs. So about two years ago when I went out looking for my own first handgun i was surprised by the attitudes I encountered, same for when I started looking at what ultimately became the two Colt's above and in the linked post.

It's one thing to make suggestions with context, provide first hand experience, etc, but it's another to come out swinging with attitude and condescension, something I experienced probably 2/3 of the time. I would ask if they had X or Y in stock for me to take a look at, and they would say "You don't want that, you want this". Or they might suggest something and I would check it out, but as soon as I said I didn't like it they would get all butt-hurt. As I mentioned in the thread I linked to I actually had two counter guys start arguing with each other over which was better, I ended up just walking out the door.

Looking for my first CCW handgun was a real eye-opener as well, I can see why so many people get pushed away from shooting before they even barely start, especially women. I had tried a friends Kahr K9 and really liked everything about it, but I wanted to try out other things just to compare and see if anything else peaked my interest. The most pervasive takeaway was that if I didn't buy a Glock and then immediately make X, Y, and Z modifications I was stupid. Ugh!

So yea I have no clue as too why Mr Grumpypants here got all worked up by my post, maybe he will come back and explain :sarcastic:

BTW
I not only ended up finding & buying a K9, I picked up a second as a spare. No Glock for me :dance3:

Heh... i made the mistake of saying that I liked Okay Surefeeds once when I was new... and the dogpile ensued. Welcome to M4C.net!

Dusty T
05-31-22, 11:29
Cool update. I’m glad they’re both working out for you. I’m slightly jealous of the 5.56 carbine. Looks so close to a 723 carbine (Delta Carbine, Gothic Serpent, Blackhawk Down), all you need is an Aimpoint mounted to the carry handle.
Ive been enjoying them and learning at the same time so it's been fun.
I've never seen Blackhawk Down but noticed we have the DVD at work, maybe on my next shift I'll suggest it for between jobs.

Dusty T
05-31-22, 11:33
Heh... i made the mistake of saying that I liked Okay Surefeeds once when I was new... and the dogpile ensued. Welcome to M4C.net!
:thank_you2:

Those are the magazines that came with mine and the ones I bought extras of... I guess I'm dead meat :sarcastic:

Entryteam
05-31-22, 11:45

Those are the magazines that came with mine and the ones I bought extras of... I guess I'm dead meat :sarcastic:

OH! I love those!

Hammer_Man
05-31-22, 19:23

Okay Industries makes excellent magazines. Rumor has it they’re exiting the magazine business soon, so now would be a good time to stock up on a few more.

Edit: I better say this before the autistic clone tards chime in. The Colt 723 carbines that were used back then were built with A1 style rear sights. Yours has the A2 style rear sights, so no your rifle isn’t a 723 clone, but it’s close enough.

https://youtu.be/56Si24-yEzQ

DG23
05-31-22, 22:04
BTW

Had one of those at one point. Regret selling it... It was nice.

Also prefer the carbine hand guards vs M4 guards like what you have on your stuff. Run those on more than a few of my carbines here and love them. :)

Dusty T
06-02-22, 20:24
OH! I love those!

I didn't know a single thing about them, so I asked here and pretty much everyone seemed to indicate they were rock solid, so I bought some extras. I believe I now have 20 each of both the 20 and 30. I also bought a number of the 10 round magazines to make shooting off of a table a bit easier. I was going to watch for sales to maybe get a few more but them going out of business and the looming bans... I doubt I will find any more sales.

fedupflyer
06-02-22, 21:35
Have to laugh when I read posts like the OP.
Its been a slow year for me shooting wise and I have already past his round count that he is "proud" of.

Uncas47
06-02-22, 21:40
Nice guns.

Dusty T
06-02-22, 21:47
Have to laugh when I read posts like the OP.
Its been a slow year for me shooting wise and I have already past his round count that he is "proud" of.
Where did I state or imply that I was "proud" of anything?
And why are you so easily triggered by what others do?

After all... only insecure people lie about what others say or worry about what others do :sarcastic:

Dusty T
06-02-22, 22:08
Nice guns.
Appreciate the comment.

This is my first dive into this world and I've been enjoying it so far. I had only planned on buying one but the other seemed too good of a deal to pass up based on what people were saying here. And now I'm already thinking about adding another which is even more unexpected... :shout:

I found out one of the pilots I work with is a shooter, he keeps it quiet at work because of the political climate today but happened to see an ammunition search I was doing and asked some questions. He then invited me to meet him and his wife at a shooting club they belonged to and check the place out. He flew UH-1's in Vietnam and brought along a clone of the M-16 he had overseas, I loved shooting the thing! In some ways I liked it better than mine, it was so soft and smooth shooting it felt like a pellet gun. His was an old original Colt but I found they were silly expensive, he mentioned that he also has two custom made ones from a place called Fulton Armory which are much less than the vintage ones.

I'm seriously considering ordering one... it's only money I guess :laugh:

Hammer_Man
06-03-22, 14:29
Appreciate the comment.

This is my first dive into this world and I've been enjoying it so far. I had only planned on buying one but the other seemed too good of a deal to pass up based on what people were saying here. And now I'm already thinking about adding another which is even more unexpected... :shout:

I found out one of the pilots I work with is a shooter, he keeps it quiet at work because of the political climate today but happened to see an ammunition search I was doing and asked some questions. He then invited me to meet him and his wife at a shooting club they belonged to and check the place out. He flew UH-1's in Vietnam and brought along a clone of the M-16 he had overseas, I loved shooting the thing! In some ways I liked it better than mine, it was so soft and smooth shooting it felt like a pellet gun. His was an old original Colt but I found they were silly expensive, he mentioned that he also has two custom made ones from a place called Fulton Armory which are much less than the vintage ones.

I'm seriously considering ordering one... it's only money I guess :laugh:

Full sized rifle length AR15s (M16, MK12, etc..) are soft shooters for a number of reasons. They also tend to be more reliable. Fulton Armory makes really good stuff, I don’t think you could go wrong with them. I used one of their A2 uppers for an M16 clone I built a couple years ago, and I used one of their M110 barrels in an AR10 project. Both items were top notch IMO.

DG23
06-03-22, 19:50
This is my first dive into this world and I've been enjoying it so far. I had only planned on buying one but the other seemed too good of a deal to pass up based on what people were saying here.

You scored BIGLY on that deal... :)

Aside of the fact that they just plain WORK and are good quality carbines - There is collector value there if you take half ass good care of them.

A home built PSA frankenbuild has no chance of going up in value like what you scored will.

fedupflyer
06-04-22, 16:32
Where did I state or imply that I was "proud" of anything?
And why are you so easily triggered by what others do?

After all... only insecure people lie about what others say or worry about what others do :sarcastic:

You will find out that 3k in a year isn't a lot.
Go to a decent 3 day carbine course and you will shoot about 800-1000 rnds
Couple that with shooting some competitions and practice and boom, you are at 3k before you know it.

I shoot with guys that shoot 10k+ in pistol alone every year, not to mention what they shoot in rifle and shotgun.
I wished I had that kind of time off.

Dusty T
06-04-22, 18:07
You will find out that 3k in a year isn't a lot.
Go to a decent 3 day carbine course and you will shoot about 800-1000 rnds
Couple that with shooting some competitions and practice and boom, you are at 3k before you know it.

I shoot with guys that shoot 10k+ in pistol alone every year, not to mention what they shoot in rifle and shotgun.
I wished I had that kind of time off.

Interesting how you dodged both of my questions... :smile:

Dusty T
06-04-22, 18:07
You scored BIGLY on that deal... :)

Aside of the fact that they just plain WORK and are good quality carbines - There is collector value there if you take half ass good care of them.

A home built PSA frankenbuild has no chance of going up in value like what you scored will.

Yea I've been realizing that based on quite a few of the comments here. The guy I work with & mentioned above also said I got a great deal on them, even on the 9mm without any included ammunition was priced way low based on some auction searches I made. Either way I've been having fun with them and learning quite a bit along the way. Any time I learn new things I'm a happy camper.

I'm still trying to figure a way to sling them that I actually like, the ones I've tried so far I haven't been happy with, even the included Colt slings I wasn't thrilled with. I'll keep trying different options. I'm also working on finding a good way to carry them discreetly. All the cases I've found scream "GUN!", not to mention they are usually way bigger than I want.

:jester:

JediGuy
06-04-22, 18:34
Regarding slings, consider a BlueForceGear Padded VCAS (Vickers) with one of their U-loops for the front and just the sling to the stock in the back.

ST911
06-05-22, 08:19

Agreed.

OP, thank you for posting firearms and shooting-related content here at this firearms and shooting-related discussion forum.

LoboTBL
06-05-22, 11:08
It was actually a well thought out and informative post. Both carbines are solid choices and I have to agree that the mini ACOG is pretty close to ideal on the 9mm. 3k rounds in three months is actually a significant amount of shooting especially considering the current price of ammo. I'd add that it's the quality vs quantity that really matters.

There have been thousands too many posts from bubbas with more dollars than sense that have posted about the thousands of rounds they shot over a weekend with their bubba bump stock.

Thanks for posting Dusty. We really need a lot more posts like yours and significantly fewer of some others.

czgunner
06-08-22, 08:41
I agree that its nice to see posts about actual shooting. With all of the nonsense posts lately, I feel like I'm on the wrong forum.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Univibe
06-12-22, 00:33
Metalform is OEM Colt 9mm SMG at 1/3 the price.

Don't bother cleaning 5.56 AR. I haven't cleaned mine in years. Just add CLP.