PDA

View Full Version : OK one last time wolf polymer coated rounds- OK?

RE4
12-19-08, 19:03
I hear so many mixed signals on Wolf anno - could you clear the air for me ? Are the polymer steel coated shells OK for a chrome lined barrel?

Is it OK for my MP15?

I'm low on cash and think ammo is just going to keep going up and up.

Parabellum9x19mm
12-19-08, 19:05
i'm afraid it won't be the last time. :mad:

poly = totally fine, just don't shoot brass afterwards without cleaning

lacquer = mostly fine, but can get sticky. might get a stuck case.

soft wolf cases wont do anything to a hardened steel bbl extension & chamber, chrome lined or not.

RE4
12-19-08, 19:08
poly = totally fine, just don't shoot brass afterwards without cleaning

Just wondering why?

Parabellum9x19mm
12-19-08, 19:10
the steel doesn't expand as much as brass and causes more fouling in the chamber.

then you switch to brass and it expands into a chamber which is more fouled than it possibly could have been if you were ONLY shooting brass cased ammo.

the result is often torn rims and stuck cases. had this happen to me once and i learned my lesson.

greenflea
12-21-08, 20:17
i wont shoot wolf anymore after the incident i had a couple of weeks ago.
i was at the range for some plinking and after a couple of shots i got one that didn't clear the ejection port and took a chunk out of the opening, it it would have been brass it would not have cut the chunk out of my upper...

Parabellum9x19mm
12-21-08, 20:51
may we a pic of this "chunk", please?

Littlelebowski
12-21-08, 21:11
i was at the range for some plinking and after a couple of shots i got one that didn't clear the ejection port and took a chunk out of the opening, it it would have been brass it would not have cut the chunk out of my upper...

No offense but I don't believe this and won't until I see a pic. The steel is simply too soft.

Steve in PA
12-22-08, 00:34

Sorry......there is no way the case did that to your rifle unless your rifle is a piece of crap.

As for the original question about Wolf.........I have shot several thousand rounds of the Wolf MC polymer and never had a single problem or issue. It is my cheap, inexpensive range/plinking ammo.

greenflea
12-22-08, 18:38
i don't mind you guys not believing me but it really did happen.

and my rifle is not a piece of crap.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28842318@N02/3128836949/

greenflea
12-22-08, 18:41
it's not that big of a chunk more like a chip but it does blemish it none the less.

i can't seem to make the pics work so there is a link to it..

Littlelebowski
12-22-08, 20:09
So the round flew forward and chipped that? I think a brass round would have been equally as harmful in that situation. That being said, it looks like a blemish to me.

Have you noticed many rounds flying forward out of the rifle? Is the chip on the inside as well?

Parabellum9x19mm
12-22-08, 20:21
bah. 'tis but a scratch.

greenflea
12-23-08, 19:51
the round that caused it didn't cycle the bolt properly and when the bolt came back forward it jamed it forward into the ejection port.

regardles of what anybody else says i will no longer use steel cased ammo, i can just imagine what would happen if it got stuck inside the rifle.

like i said it isn't a big deal but because of it i will never use the steel cased ammo again.

AirmanAtwood
12-23-08, 20:57
the round that caused it didn't cycle the bolt properly and when the bolt came back forward it jamed it forward into the ejection port.

regardles of what anybody else says i will no longer use steel cased ammo, i can just imagine what would happen if it got stuck inside the rifle.

like i said it isn't a big deal but because of it i will never use the steel cased ammo again.

Im pretty sure brass would have done the same thing.

Damascus
12-23-08, 21:27
Everyone has their own opinions, rituals, and methods concerning firearms, and will do their own thing.
Personally, I will not use Wolf brand ammo. I haven't tried the Wolf Gold, brass cased ammo, since it costs as high as WWB or UMC, I'd rather just use that.
A couple years ago my brother and I were shooting, using Wolf steel cased ammo in both .223 and 7.62x39. My brother (shooting a 20" A2) happened to hear a quieter muzzle report than the rest.. Luckily, he checked his bore, to find a the bullet lodged in the bore. We don't know if it was undercharged, or not charged at all, but that did it for me. He still uses Wolf now and again, and no such instances have happened since - but I prefer to put quality ammunition into my $1400 precision instruments. I wouldn't mind feeding Wolf into a cheap SKS or AK if I had one, but I won't put it into my ARs.
I'm not trying to tell anyone not to use Wolf, I'm just saying that I won't use it unless I were in a self-defense situation and had no other choice. If others continue to use Wolf in their nice weapons, it's nothing to me, and I wish you safe shooting.

Parabellum9x19mm
12-23-08, 23:12
Personally, I will not use Wolf brand ammo. I haven't tried the Wolf Gold, brass cased ammo, since it costs as high as WWB or UMC, I'd rather just use that.

Wolf Gold is PRVI .223 Match 75 grain HPBT ammo. its made in Serbia. it is not made by Wolf.

it is so much more accurate than WWB or UMC. there is really no comparison. that Wolf Gold ammo holds its own with 75 TAP and 77 SMK loadings by Remington (Premier Match) and Black Hills. its not quite as accurate as the other three i just mentioned, but like you said, it costs the same as WWB and UMC.

Damascus
12-24-08, 10:26
Wolf Gold is PRVI .223 Match 75 grain HPBT ammo. its made in Serbia. it is not made by Wolf.

it is so much more accurate than WWB or UMC. there is really no comparison. that Wolf Gold ammo holds its own with 75 TAP and 77 SMK loadings by Remington (Premier Match) and Black Hills. its not quite as accurate as the other three i just mentioned, but like you said, it costs the same as WWB and UMC.

Ah, I didn't know that. I handload all of my rounds 99% of the time, and shoot 69gr. SMK's nearly all the time - the heavier 75gr. rounds don't shoot near as tight in my rifle, neither does 55gr. ball, I usually just buy it to re-stock on brass. Right now though I've still got a half a can of Lake City M855 and about 700 rounds left out of a brand new bulk supply of Winchester brass I bough last month, so I don't think I'll be needing brass anytime soon - but I'll keep that in mind for the future :) Like I said, I wouldn't mind to try the Wolf Gold/PRVI, I just refuse to use steel cased Wolf.

Iraqgunz
12-24-08, 10:46
On a side note. The "squib" load your brother experienced can happen with any manufacturer. The NAR's (Notice of Ammo Reclassification) that come out almost daily from NAVAMMOLOGCEN have all kinds of ammo/ ordnance related issues. Recently I saw one where blank rounds were accidentally packaged in with M855 ammo. Another had reclassed a certain lot of Winchester 9mm due to a "round lodged in chamber". So it happens to the best of them.

Ah, I didn't know that. I handload all of my rounds 99% of the time, and shoot 69gr. SMK's nearly all the time - the heavier 75gr. rounds don't shoot near as tight in my rifle, neither does 55gr. ball, I usually just buy it to re-stock on brass. Right now though I've still got a half a can of Lake City M855 and about 700 rounds left out of a brand new bulk supply of Winchester brass I bough last month, so I don't think I'll be needing brass anytime soon - but I'll keep that in mind for the future :) Like I said, I wouldn't mind to try the Wolf Gold/PRVI, I just refuse to use steel cased Wolf.