PDA

View Full Version : Afraid my AR is poor quality

Waylander
06-06-22, 11:47
I think the chrome in the barrel bore might be flaking. Does copper look like chrome under a bore scope? It shoots fine but I don’t think it will hold up to sustained fire. I usually shoot at least a box of ammo per year so the threat is real.

My AR even has a plain, slotted grip screw. How can I trust that over a combo drive screw? I’m thinking a bunch of grips must be falling right off so I’m worried. Hell, the screw may not even be made in America.

BangBang77
06-06-22, 12:01
Well payed...

markm
06-06-22, 12:21
The chrome flaking off adds free fragmentation in a self defense shoot. As far as the grip screw, you need the proper finish, heat treatment, and mcmaster carr part number. Otherwise... you're going to see repeated grip loss. Happens EVER day in America!

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-06-22, 12:31
Flaking chrome provides a 'sled' for the bullet to ride on so that it doesn't engage the rifling of the barrel which has three benefits. One, It doesn't leave tell-tale groves on the bullet so that it can't be traced back to you, and B. it allows the bullet to tumble so that it can cause wounds on scale with 9mm. It was developed by the Mossad, so I won't ask how you got it, but stop talking about it on the interwebs before the guy whose name we won't say, but starts with a 'Y' and ends in an 'I' and is really 'on' it comes to visit you.

By the way, physically block your computer webcam, that is not a sanitary use of that 'bore-scope'...

titsonritz
06-06-22, 12:39
The struggle is real.

TomMcC
06-06-22, 13:00
Right after my AR being a dumpster fire, I think my underwear are sub-optimal. Chaffing man, chaffing. Should I check them out with a bore scope or just wear them?

titsonritz
06-06-22, 13:02
Right after my AR being a dumpster fire, I think my underwear are sub-optimal. Chaffing man, chaffing. Should I check them out with a bore scope or just wear them?

All it takes is right lube.

TomMcC
06-06-22, 13:06

You sure lube is the right fix, I read on Reddit that baby powder is the right fix. I think we need to crank up a poll thread for this fix.

HKGuns
06-06-22, 13:17

Canola oil?

Waylander
06-06-22, 13:46
The chrome flaking off adds free fragmentation in a self defense shoot. As far as the grip screw, you need the proper finish, heat treatment, and mcmaster carr part number. Otherwise... you're going to see repeated grip loss. Happens EVER day in America!

You forgot the required nylok patch on the grip screws. And from what I’m seeing now, the screws need to be batch tested. You might find only one out of ten grip screws is actually in spec. I kid you not.

markm
06-06-22, 13:48
You forgot the required nylok patch on the grip screws. And from what I’m seeing now, the screws need to be batch tested. You might find only one out of ten grip screws is actually in spec. I kid you not.

These bad screws are back door gun control.

TomMcC
06-06-22, 14:30
All this talk of flaking chrome, and substandard grip screws has got me thinking I need to scrap all my AR's, and start over with the best chrome, high quality grip screws and I'm thinking the best of the best pins. And back door gun control reminds me of some oldie blues song...something, something...back door man.

SteyrAUG
06-06-22, 14:54
These bad screws are back door gun control.

I hear Biden is going to mandate serial numbers for the good ones, get you some ghost screws while you can. I think I'm gonna start making 80% screw kits.

gsd2053
06-06-22, 15:05
I hear Biden is going to mandate serial numbers for the good ones, get you some ghost screws while you can. I think I'm gonna start making 80% screw kits.

You could advertise them as wall hangers.

TomMcC
06-06-22, 15:06

Can you imagine the jack you're going to make when the ban hits. You'll have millions of AR owners beating down your door to score $150 ghost gun grip screws. I think you'll be able to retire on this idea.

kerplode
06-06-22, 15:10
Yes, this is quite serious. I had a grip screw failure which resulted in complete grip loss just yesterday. It got me killed in the streets.

I am now a ghost.

Further complicating the issue, my guns are now all ghost guns.

robbins290
06-06-22, 15:10
Ditch the low quality AR's and get a PSA or BCA. Top notch QC.

yoni
06-06-22, 15:18
Flaking chrome provides a 'sled' for the bullet to ride on so that it doesn't engage the rifling of the barrel which has three benefits. One, It doesn't leave tell-tale groves on the bullet so that it can't be traced back to you, and B. it allows the bullet to tumble so that it can cause wounds on scale with 9mm. It was developed by the Mossad, so I won't ask how you got it, but stop talking about it on the interwebs before the guy whose name we won't say, but starts with a 'Y' and ends in an 'I' and is really 'on' it comes to visit you.

By the way, physically block your computer webcam, that is not a sanitary use of that 'bore-scope'...

I guess my schedule is filling up, first have to go to Colorado to plug a leak and then to Alabama. I have to fit all this in with some EU trips and one to Israel.

TOOOOOOOOO Much stress for me to handle!

Coal Dragger
06-06-22, 17:02
I think the chrome in the barrel bore might be flaking. Does copper look like chrome under a bore scope? It shoots fine but I don’t think it will hold up to sustained fire. I usually shoot at least a box of ammo per year so the threat is real.

My AR even has a plain, slotted grip screw. How can I trust that over a combo drive screw? I’m thinking a bunch of grips must be falling right off so I’m worried. Hell, the screw may not even be made in America.

You should dummy cord your grip to the receiver. That’s what pros do.

SteyrAUG
06-06-22, 17:33
Can you imagine the jack you're going to make when the ban hits. You'll have millions of AR owners beating down your door to score $150 ghost gun grip screws. I think you'll be able to retire on this idea.

So I'm up and running. SOLID STEEL 80% grip screws (just have to thread them yourself to finish).

https://i.imgur.com/kUeAkWd.jpg

Only $25 shipped, get them BEFORE THE BAN.....because they will be like $150 then.

Also UNLIKE ALL OTHER GRIP SCREWS, ours are CUSTOM CONFIGURABLE so you can make them any thread pitch you want, just cut the thread pitch you want. Even HK, COLT, BCM, LMT, KAC grip screws can't do that....OURS CAN.

PRO TIP: Buy an extra dozen and leave them UNCUT, that way when Congress mandates some unique thread pitch to prevent installation of USGI parts, you will still have super high grade grips screws that you can configure to future specifications.

Buy a dozen to cut, but a dozen to leave uncut and buy a dozen to HIDE from FBI/ATF/HLS/XYZ. When they ban grip screws, only criminals will have grip screws...but SO WILL YOU IF YOU ACT NOW.

TomMcC
06-06-22, 18:52
So I'm up and running. SOLID STEEL 80% grip screws (just have to thread them yourself to finish).

https://i.imgur.com/kUeAkWd.jpg

Only $25 shipped, get them BEFORE THE BAN.....because they will be like $150 then.

Also UNLIKE ALL OTHER GRIP SCREWS, ours are CUSTOM CONFIGURABLE so you can make them any thread pitch you want, just cut the thread pitch you want. Even HK, COLT, BCM, LMT, KAC grip screws can't do that....OURS CAN.

PRO TIP: Buy an extra dozen and leave them UNCUT, that way when Congress mandates some unique thread pitch to prevent installation of USGI parts, you will still have super high grade grips screws that you can configure to future specifications.

Buy a dozen to cut, but a dozen to leave uncut and buy a dozen to HIDE from FBI/ATF/HLS/XYZ. When they ban grip screws, only criminals will have grip screws...but SO WILL YOU IF YOU ACT NOW.

I'm in. Do you think 24 is enough?. I don't want to get caught short when I'm 85 years old.

kirkland
06-06-22, 19:09

First of all, you need to get a stellite lined barrel, chrome isn't quite up to snuff. Secondly make sure to install an accuwedge to damper the harmonic oscillations of the barrel which can cause flaking.

kerplode
06-06-22, 20:04
Man, I don't know if I trust ANY linings now...

Maybe it's best to get a barrel that's entirely Stellite.

kerplode
06-06-22, 20:06
Hey Steyr - Can you make those 80% screws out of Stellite?

It'll be a bitch to finish them with my router, but I think it'll be worth it for the added wear resistance.

SteyrAUG
06-06-22, 20:13
I'm in. Do you think 24 is enough?. I don't want to get caught short when I'm 85 years old.

I would round out at 100, your grandkids will probably have to fight the "next" next civil war, you don't want them getting short changed on grip screws. It's for the sake of the republic.

Hey Steyr - Can you make those 80% screws out of Stellite?

It'll be a bitch to finish them with my router, but I think it'll be worth it for the added wear resistance.

Just spray them with teflon coating and they will become BULLET PROOF. We'd offer that option but I don't want to goobermint to ban them.

Diamondback
06-06-22, 20:59
Gecko45, is that you?

Waylander
06-06-22, 21:01
Can I request a combo torx/phillips/slotted head or do I need to cut them myself? When a grip goes tits up in the field, I’m not sure if I’ll have all the drivers with me.

Stellite - check
80% grip screws - check
80% stellite combo grip screws - mind blown [emoji2962]

TomMcC
06-06-22, 21:20
I would round out at 100, your grandkids will probably have to fight the "next" next civil war, you don't want them getting short changed on grip screws. It's for the sake of the republic.

Just spray them with teflon coating and they will become BULLET PROOF. We'd offer that option but I don't want to goobermint to ban them.

Oh man, I knew it was going to be patriotic to buy these screws...instead of 100, put me down for 200.

TomMcC
06-06-22, 21:24
Gecko45, is that you?

The Geck...man I wish he was here to get us up to speed on the latest body armor and mall tactics.

TomMcC
06-06-22, 21:30
I was thinking about the OP...the flaking chrome. Short of dumping 2 or 3k of .223 to buff out the flaking, I was thinking that this would be a good time to whip out the mighty DREMEL, with a custom super long extension and something abrasive on the end to attack this stubborn gunsmithing job. I of course would work from the chamber end, I wouldn't want to mess up the crown or something else.

SteyrAUG
06-06-22, 21:31
Gecko45, is that you?

No but I used to work with him. Scroll down to the HK91.com event, also took a run at FALfiles but they were ready for us.

https://lonelymachines.org/mall-ninjas/

SteyrAUG
06-06-22, 21:34
Can I request a combo torx/phillips/slotted head or do I need to cut them myself? When a grip goes tits up in the field, I’m not sure if I’ll have all the drivers with me.

Stellite - check
80% grip screws - check
80% stellite combo grip screws - mind blown [emoji2962]

We like to keep those options "customer configurable." Who knows what driver patterns may exist 100 years from now? Ours will still be adaptable and fighting for freedom, the competitor brands...?

georgeib
06-06-22, 21:34
No but I used to work with him.

https://lonelymachines.org/mall-ninjas/

It's not an overstatement to say that this was most masterful trolling in the history of the interwebz, Steyr. You are a legend, sir.

SteyrAUG
06-06-22, 21:49
It's not an overstatement to say that this was most masterful trolling in the history of the interwebz, Steyr. You are a legend, sir.

Just for clarification, I was NOT Gecko45, but I knew his mainstream ID on TOS. SpecOps was another member who came over from HK91.com / HKPro and also had a alternate primary user ID on TOS. I knew Gecko45 in person having met him at a ShotShow in Orlando when he was affiliated with the Cav Arms crew. I only participated in TWO "Mall Ninja" threads, the one at HK91.com and later one at FALfiles, in both cases I used my known user ID and was kind of the "straight man." When he hit Glock Talk (first appearance I believe) I had no idea who he was.

Can't remember if he actually hit arfcom or not, or if it was just a carry over from GT.

And yes, Gecko was Master Class Trolling. Only Ben Stoeger came close and that was mostly IRL trolling, like destroying long held shooting records while wearing shorts and flip flops.

1_click_off
06-07-22, 06:36
It is quite simple to repair the stripped chrome lining. Just wrap a snap cap with a rubber band at the bullet, stuff some duct seal in the gas tube and fill the barrel with chrome duplicolor from autozone. Let it sit for about 43 seconds and then tip the muzzle down while swirling it in the OPPOSITE direction of the rifling. Let it cure for at least one Monday.

Threads on the grip screws should be rolled and not cut.

georgeib
06-07-22, 06:44
Just for clarification, I was NOT Gecko45, but I knew his mainstream ID on TOS. SpecOps was another member who came over from HK91.com / HKPro and also had a alternate primary user ID on TOS. I knew Gecko45 in person having met him at a ShotShow in Orlando when he was affiliated with the Cav Arms crew. I only participated in TWO "Mall Ninja" threads, the one at HK91.com and later one at FALfiles, in both cases I used my known user ID and was kind of the "straight man." When he hit Glock Talk (first appearance I believe) I had no idea who he was.

Can't remember if he actually hit arfcom or not, or if it was just a carry over from GT.

And yes, Gecko was Master Class Trolling. Only Ben Stoeger came close and that was mostly IRL trolling, like destroying long held shooting records while wearing shorts and flip flops.

Ah, okay. I knew you were involved somehow, thought you wrote that stuff. Thanks for clarifying.

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-07-22, 14:30
I was thinking about the OP...the flaking chrome. Short of dumping 2 or 3k of .223 to buff out the flaking, I was thinking that this would be a good time to whip out the mighty DREMEL, with a custom super long extension and something abrasive on the end to attack this stubborn gunsmithing job. I of course would work from the chamber end, I wouldn't want to mess up the crown or something else.

Dremel tool- they always make things WAY better...

AndyLate
06-07-22, 15:26
I bolted awake while campin last week and had time to dwell on barrel lengths, gas systems, and grip screws before I could get to sleep again.

Andy

TomMcC
06-07-22, 15:40
I bolted awake while campin last week and had time to dwell on barrel lengths, gas systems, and grip screws before I could get to sleep again.

Andy

I can see that...way more important than the Russians shooting their mouths off about WW3 and threatening nuclear war again. Grip screw apocalypse...the stuff of nightmares.

flenna
06-07-22, 17:44
I can see that...way more important than the Russians shooting their mouths off about WW3 and threatening nuclear war again. Grip screw apocalypse...the stuff of nightmares.

I can honestly say I have never even thought about the grip screw, even when changing grips.

TomMcC
06-07-22, 17:51
I can honestly say I have never even thought about the grip screw, even when changing grips.

More of us should be like you...oblivious to the nasty grip screw, peace of mind, we need peace of mind.

SteyrAUG
06-07-22, 18:33

Yeah, as much as I appreciate the options from various manufacturers, I've never needed a 12 position adjustable stock, tactical charging handle, custom tuned trigger or any of that stuff. Small parts are usually just USGI and I go from there. The people who spend time worrying about grip screws should spend more time at the range and they will discover just how important grip screws actually are.

AndyLate
06-07-22, 21:02
Double trouble

AndyLate
06-07-22, 21:04

I did once while I was trying to stick enough adapters together to remove a hex head screw at my Dad's house. Right next to all the flat tip screwdrivers in his shop.

Andy

Coal Dragger
06-07-22, 21:23
Yeah, as much as I appreciate the options from various manufacturers, I've never needed a 12 position adjustable stock, tactical charging handle, custom tuned trigger or any of that stuff. Small parts are usually just USGI and I go from there. The people who spend time worrying about grip screws should spend more time at the range and they will discover just how important grip screws actually are.

I have seen one case of an AR-15 grip screw coming loose in a Pat Mac class. Never seen one before or since though.

SteyrAUG
06-07-22, 21:42
I have seen one case of an AR-15 grip screw coming loose in a Pat Mac class. Never seen one before or since though.

Probably needed to be snugged at time of purchase or was a build. I know guys who do extremely high round count classes 4 to 6 times a year, we call them "training junkies" but not meant in a disparaging way, god bless them for having the ammo. I've seen them do things most people won't achieve in a lifetime of shooting like retire a barrel, break a high quality bolt, wear out extractors and stuff like that. I think it's overkill but they replace their springs every couple of years as preventative maintenance. Maybe they'd fail, maybe they wouldn't it amounts to about $10 in springs regardless.

If a grip screw did come loose on them, they have a tool kit in their pack and would have it snugged down in 20 seconds. They would probably loctite the crap out of it that evening when they were scraping carbon off of their bolt carrier with a putty knife. I've seen what breaks on these guys and what never breaks and 90% of the stuff most people worry about is pretty misplaced.

I've also noticed that it is the people who don't shoot thousands of rounds every year who worry most about special formula lubricants, ultra custom config rifles and grip screws. The guys who shoot their rifles just shoot their rifles. My favorite shooters are the guys who don't just shoot in the Top 20, they can borrow another guys rifle and still shoot in the Top 20. I've watched guys mentally calculate the difference in personal zero, make no adjustments and outshoot the owner with his own rifle.

Coal Dragger
06-07-22, 22:30
The class was local to me, and I always have tools in the range bag. This was an old Post-Ban Bushmaster with a bare muzzle, and I got the dude squared away in about 30 seconds once the line was cold and I got my screw driver set.

SteyrAUG
06-08-22, 00:06
The class was local to me, and I always have tools in the range bag. This was an old Post-Ban Bushmaster with a bare muzzle, and I got the dude squared away in about 30 seconds once the line was cold and I got my screw driver set.

Exactly. How easy did you solve that but people who don't engage in that kind of training worry about grip screws.

Coal Dragger
06-08-22, 01:19
Yeah, sometimes it’s easy to obsess over things that aren’t really that critical, or hard to fix if they pop up.

It’s easy to do when you’re not actually out running the equipment, or gun, or whatever activity it happens to be.

I joked around about dummy cording the grip to the receiver for example because I have some disagreement with the notion that an optic in or on a solid mount still needs to be dummy corded. Don’t get me wrong I’ve seen plenty of accessories, optics, mounts etc that were total rubbish and you’d better dummy cord stuff. My issued M16A4 in Iraq had a plethora of 550 cord securing stuff because all the mounting solutions were hot garbage. That doesn’t mean a good mount like a Geissele needs the same treatment.

Plus whatever happened to the notion of periodically checking all that stuff? I do it when I clean guns, but I’m not a cool guy or some shit because I still clean guns…. I know the cool guys never do.

Waylander
06-08-22, 12:29
We like to keep those options "customer configurable." Who knows what driver patterns may exist 100 years from now? Ours will still be adaptable and fighting for freedom, the competitor brands...?

There are a lot of choices for a guy just getting into the grip screw game. Soon to be a lot more. But it’s easy to get excited and forget about the big issue of grip screw theft with all these fancy options. So I’m going to need one of those tamper torx heads.

SteyrAUG
06-08-22, 12:56
There are a lot of choices for a guy just getting into the grip screw game. Soon to be a lot more. But it’s easy to get excited and forget about the big issue of grip screw theft with all these fancy options. So I’m going to need one of those tamper torx heads.

Maybe something like a master lug with a special key, you know like those pain in the ass tire lug nuts manufacturers started putting on cars so mere mortals could never again simply change a tire in the rain. That's what you need on your primary HD rifle. Crafty criminals could break into your home, defeat your grip screw and then when they come back for the "real" robbery you won't be able to defend yourself. But not if you had a master lug grip screw with secret key lug adapter.

SteyrAUG
06-08-22, 12:58
Yeah, sometimes it’s easy to obsess over things that aren’t really that critical, or hard to fix if they pop up.

It’s easy to do when you’re not actually out running the equipment, or gun, or whatever activity it happens to be.

I joked around about dummy cording the grip to the receiver for example because I have some disagreement with the notion that an optic in or on a solid mount still needs to be dummy corded. Don’t get me wrong I’ve seen plenty of accessories, optics, mounts etc that were total rubbish and you’d better dummy cord stuff. My issued M16A4 in Iraq had a plethora of 550 cord securing stuff because all the mounting solutions were hot garbage. That doesn’t mean a good mount like a Geissele needs the same treatment.

Plus whatever happened to the notion of periodically checking all that stuff? I do it when I clean guns, but I’m not a cool guy or some shit because I still clean guns…. I know the cool guys never do.

My favorite it 550 corded airsoft optics because that is how the military does it.

TomBowie
06-09-22, 09:05
I remember having to dummy cord my carry handle iron sight to my M4A1 upper as a Lance Corporal back in the olden days. It was a sickness. I remember one team’s SOP was to dummy cord their gloves to the cuffs of their cammie blouses.

SteyrAUG
06-09-22, 18:07
I remember having to dummy cord my carry handle iron sight to my M4A1 upper as a Lance Corporal back in the olden days. It was a sickness. I remember one team’s SOP was to dummy cord their gloves to the cuffs of their cammie blouses.

Do you mean when it was actually attached to the rifle, like strapped down or as some kind of safety lanyard?

DG23
06-09-22, 19:07
Do you mean when it was actually attached to the rifle, like strapped down or as some kind of safety lanyard?

I did read about how Colt started staking the nut posts because guys were removing and losing the knobs. Could not quite wrap my head around it at the time (How the hell can someone be that careless to lose those things?) but now...

Older handles - not staked there but the newer ones most definitely are heavily staked.

SteyrAUG
06-09-22, 19:16
I did read about how Colt started staking the nut posts because guys were removing and losing the knobs. Could not quite wrap my head around it at the time (How the hell can someone be that careless to lose those things?) but now...

Older handles - not staked there but the newer ones most definitely are heavily staked.

Long ago I learned the military is full of "people" and "people" are capable of anything both impressive and otherwise.
I used to hear "there is the right way, the wrong way and the army way of doing things" and not understand what they meant. I always thought if a better way exists then why isn't that the "army way" (or military way if you prefer). And then finally somebody explained it to me, that just because I can understand a better way doesn't mean everyone will understand it, and the military needs the largest group of people possible to understand ALL of it.

After that, most military protocols and practices made complete and perfect sense to me. It was mostly about thinking in terms of "how will this best help everyone here" rather than just "how would I prefer to do it."

flenna
06-09-22, 20:05
More of us should be like you...oblivious to the nasty grip screw, peace of mind, we need peace of mind.

Sometimes it pays to be simple minded… I am not smart enough to be wringing my hands over the all-powerful grip screw.

TomMcC
06-09-22, 20:30
Sometimes it pays to be simple minded… I am not smart enough to be wringing my hands over the all-powerful grip screw.

Maybe even the faith of a child.

OutofBatt3ry
06-09-22, 20:49
Cheap AR's give cheap AR issues. I have a shitty Delton barreled AR that overhung the ramps on the receiver that would give consistent malfunctions with metal mags until I bubba'd the ramps down a smidge; so yes...No to PSA. With that said, an "in spec" AR performs as well as the next one. The issue with DPMS/PSA/BCA/etc, is "out-of-spec" parts are much more likely to find their way into your gun.

For poor's/hobby ARs, whatever...If it has to work, spend a few extra bux and use quality guns/parts.

I've never had a faulty DD, Colt, BCM, etc part or gun have an issue.

Aero, Anderson, Delton, etc....issues. (My one faulty Aero part was an upper that had terribly bad anodizing...functionally it was fine though and they replaced the upper due to the finish literally flaking off after the first use, so I will say Aero is still on the better side of OK)

Just my experience.

TomBowie
06-10-22, 02:15
Yeah, as a redundancy like all dummy cords. The carry handle was secured by the screws. Then a dummy cord via bowline around the carry handle and delta ring. Somebody actually lost one before that became an SOP. This was in the early Aughts of Okinawa’s CTA and NTA training areas. Slightly pre GWOT and a battle lab for losing shit, getting lost, losing your sanity via 120 lb ruck, regaining your sanity and sense of duty and leaving target indicators.

Edit: replying to SteyrAUG cause my xenial ass can’t quote on mid-2000s forum technology.

SteyrAUG
06-10-22, 19:16
Yeah, as a redundancy like all dummy cords. The carry handle was secured by the screws. Then a dummy cord via bowline around the carry handle and delta ring. Somebody actually lost one before that became an SOP. This was in the early Aughts of Okinawa’s CTA and NTA training areas. Slightly pre GWOT and a battle lab for losing shit, getting lost, losing your sanity via 120 lb ruck, regaining your sanity and sense of duty and leaving target indicators.

Edit: replying to SteyrAUG cause my xenial ass can’t quote on mid-2000s forum technology.

Got it. Thanks. Btw it's the "reply with quote" button.

Coal Dragger
06-10-22, 21:57

Yep been there too brother. Those thumb screw carry handles would back off if you looked at them funny. Such a garbage choice for a fastener, if 1/2” nuts had been specified with a decent torque spec there wouldn’t have been a problem.

SteyrAUG
06-10-22, 23:35
Yep been there too brother. Those thumb screw carry handles would back off if you looked at them funny. Such a garbage choice for a fastener, if 1/2” nuts had been specified with a decent torque spec there wouldn’t have been a problem.

Especially with everyone mounting ACOGs to them at the time.

Coal Dragger
06-10-22, 23:59
That didn’t help either, ACOG’s or Comp M2’s on the carry handle just exacerbated an already sketchy mechanical attachment. Plus those carry handles weren’t exactly precise fitment on the uppers, lots of fore and aft play since there were no recoil lugs to interface the Picatinny rail. Just two cross bolts and a lame clamp, secured down finger tight.

The ACOG mounts with thumb screws were equally useless and bad.

SteyrAUG
06-11-22, 01:36
That didn’t help either, ACOG’s or Comp M2’s on the carry handle just exacerbated an already sketchy mechanical attachment. Plus those carry handles weren’t exactly precise fitment on the uppers, lots of fore and aft play since there were no recoil lugs to interface the Picatinny rail. Just two cross bolts and a lame clamp, secured down finger tight.

The ACOG mounts with thumb screws were equally useless and bad.

Yeah, I can remember mid 90s M4s with early version ACOGs and Aimpoints mounted ON the removeable carry handle. Definitely a work in progress. I can also remember people loading those early M4 front rails with so much shit that three or four rounds was all it took for those fitted rails to come out of the mounts.

ThirdWatcher
06-12-22, 06:50
OK, I’ll confess that I haven’t had a good night’s sleep since Magpul introduced their plastic Ejection Port Cover. I’ve even woke up in the middle of the night to look for rust on the ejection port covers on the AR’s I own. Obviously I need to order some to get a good night’s sleep but they’re out-of-stock. I’m also waiting for Magpul to introduce a grip screw that won’t rust.

SteyrAUG
06-12-22, 17:44
OK, I’ll confess that I haven’t had a good night’s sleep since Magpul introduced their plastic Ejection Port Cover. I’ve even woke up in the middle of the night to look for rust on the ejection port covers on the AR’s I own. Obviously I need to order some to get a good night’s sleep but they’re out-of-stock. I’m also waiting for Magpul to introduce a grip screw that won’t rust.

If all you guys would have simply bought Cav lowers when you could, this whole grip screw nightmare would be a thing of the past.

ThirdWatcher
06-12-22, 20:38
If all you guys would have simply bought Cav lowers when you could, this whole grip screw nightmare would be a thing of the past.

Live and learn...

TomBowie
06-30-22, 23:10
Hahahahaha.

TomBowie
06-30-22, 23:12

Hahahaha