PDA

View Full Version : Is it bad to keep rechambering the same round?

SubSolar
12-20-08, 01:39
I just bought a new Benelli M4. I want to keep it fully loaded (4+1+1) for self defense. However, when I want to show my friends it or go to the range, I obviously have to unload it first. Is it bad for the same shotshell to keep being chambered? The last round that I chamber, I am slowly letting the bolt close on it. I ask this cause I've heard that it's bad to keep rechambering the same handgun round.

Iraqgunz
12-20-08, 06:56
Generally when one continually chambers the same round over and over the extractor chews up the rim of the cartridge and could potenatilly cause the extractor not to grab the cartiridge properly when it is most needed, i.e. The shit hits the fan.

I just bought a new Benelli M4. I want to keep it fully loaded (4+1+1) for self defense. However, when I want to show my friends it or go to the range, I obviously have to unload it first. Is it bad for the same shotshell to keep being chambered? The last round that I chamber, I am slowly letting the bolt close on it. I ask this cause I've heard that it's bad to keep rechambering the same handgun round.

Buckaroo
12-20-08, 07:12
Bullet setback can occur from repeated re-chambering and can cause the round to over pressure when it is fired and possibly kaboom a weapon.

I rotate my rounds (chamber the next round down and then put the originally chamberd round a few down in the mag) when I clear a weapon so that they do not get re-chambered repeatedly.

No need to be paranoid but caution is warranted.

Another good habit is to shoot your carry weapon, with the ammo you are carrying, once a month. Then you know that ammo is gone and that the weapon is functioning properly.
I usually do this when I first arrive at the range then when I leave I reload my carry mags with my self defense ammo.

Buckaroo

Ok I just reread your original post and realized you are talking about a shotgun.... My comments are regarding a pistol. Sorry for reading too fast too early!

SubSolar
12-20-08, 11:18
Bullet setback can occur from repeated re-chambering and can cause the round to over pressure when it is fired and possibly kaboom a weapon.

I rotate my rounds (chamber the next round down and then put the originally chamberd round a few down in the mag) when I clear a weapon so that they do not get re-chambered repeatedly.

No need to be paranoid but caution is warranted.

Another good habit is to shoot your carry weapon, with the ammo you are carrying, once a month. Then you know that ammo is gone and that the weapon is functioning properly.
I usually do this when I first arrive at the range then when I leave I reload my carry mags with my self defense ammo.

Buckaroo

Ok I just reread your original post and realized you are talking about a shotgun.... My comments are regarding a pistol. Sorry for reading too fast too early!

So, this doesn't apply to shotshells?

Iraqgunz
12-20-08, 16:13
Bullet setback won't occur with a shotshell because the buckshot or slug is contained within the shell and doesn't make contact with anything. Otherwise what I posted above would probably be your major concern.

So, this doesn't apply to shotshells?

SingleStacker45
12-20-08, 17:18
How about for the carbine? Aside from bullet setback issue I noticed a light hit on the primer after I chamber a round in my carbine. Will it eventually discharge from repeated chamberings?

Mule

Iraqgunz
12-20-08, 17:52
Here is a link the Army Preventative Maintenance Monthly. The question was asked and according to the "gurus" there you can chamber a round 5 times before you run the risk of a deadened primer. Here is a link. Don't worry about the security certificate issue, it's no problem.

https://www.logsa.army.mil/psmag/archives/PS2004/PS_625.pdf

Stan_TheGunNut
12-21-08, 10:46
I have found that leaving shotgun shells in the magazine tube for an extended amout of time tends to deform them slightly. While I have personally never had an issue from this, one could theorize that enough deformation could occur that the round might not chamber or extract when needed to.

In my personal opinion, it probably won't hurt anything to load and unload your shotgun to show your friends or to shoot the less expensive ammo at the range. I do think you should rotate your ammo on a regular basis, by shooting the old stuff and replacing it periodically. If you can afford the Benelli M4, you can afford to spend $10/month on some new shotgun shells (buckshot and slugs). Shoot and replace every couple of months, and you'll eventually build up a small stock of shotgun ammo.

Enjoy the Benelli....they're a lot of fun.