PDA

View Full Version : Decent take on the Tempe drowning

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-07-22, 15:27
https://youtu.be/5VSvwjAAsU0

As to the topic of 'serve and protect', I don't fault these cops at all. Guy is homeless/nuts, has warrants, tries to swim away. He drowns. Sad, not really tragic.

You can't swim that much gear on. Strip down? Is the guy really drowning, or trying to draw you in for a 'Titanic', where he won't actually let you go.

Im twice certified as a lifeguard, swam in HS and played water polo- there is no freakin' way someone untrained in water rescue should go into the water in those circumstances. Would you put a lifeguard into an impromptu gun-fight?

Kid drowning, yes. An adult, probably. Crazy fleeing crack-head? In the best shape, with the right gear, I'm not getting close to someone that could either try to drown me or pull an edged weapon and start play Jaws.

Renegade
06-07-22, 15:34

As to the topic of 'serve and protect', I don't fault these cops at all. Guy is homeless/nuts, has warrants, tries to swim away. He drowns. Sad, not really tragic.

You can't swim that much gear on. Strip down? Is the guy really drowning, or trying to draw you in for a 'Titanic', where he won't actually let you go.

Im twice certified as a lifeguard, swam in HS and played water polo- there is no freakin' way someone untrained in water rescue should go into the water in those circumstances. Would you put a lifeguard into an impromptu gun-fight?

Kid drowning, yes. An adult, probably. Crazy fleeing crack-head? In the best shape, with the right gear, I'm not getting close to someone that could either try to drown me or pull an edged weapon and start play Jaws.

Darwin wins again.

LE should have called for water rescue, but it would likely have been just optics, no way they get there in time.

titsonritz
06-07-22, 16:21
Honest, I thought that tire was a life preserver.

eric0311
06-07-22, 16:38

Exactly, how many of these Officers have lifeguard training? Have they jumped into moving water, in uniform and full gear, and attempted to rescue a panicked (have you ever been to Combat Water Survival School or MCIWS... you'll appreciate the term being "sharked") full grown adult... it's not an easy task, even with training. Things go very wrong, very quick, in the water.

glocktogo
06-07-22, 17:09
Darwin wins again.

LE should have called for water rescue, but it would likely have been just optics, no way they get there in time.

I watched a YT pundit read a Tempe press release transcript that said one of the three "called for a boat" during the event. Of course it took them about 45 minutes to arrive and by then they were in body recovery mode.

jsbhike
06-08-22, 06:35
Like Gore, I normally like Lehto, but not on this one.

https://youtu.be/_64GD0KAc7Q

Univibe
06-08-22, 07:37
Exactly, how many of these Officers have lifeguard training? Have they jumped into moving water, in uniform and full gear, and attempted to rescue a panicked (have you ever been to Combat Water Survival School or MCIWS... you'll appreciate the term being "sharked") full grown adult... it's not an easy task, even with training. Things go very wrong, very quick, in the water.

Pooh.

Imagine if a Brother officer was in the water? You think they'd have sat on the bank and called a slow boat? They'd have jumped right in.

Police protect themselves and their Brothers foremost. They protect the privileges of the wealthy and connected. They keep the working classes in line. But they're MIA when the going gets tough.

New York blackout.
L.A. riots.
Columbine.
Parkland.
Las Vegas.
Pulse night club.
Uvalde.

Police cowered while people died.

Pro gunners used to justify packing by saying "when seconds count, the police are minutes away." Say: "When seconds count, the police are running away."

WHAT SHOULD HAPPEN AT THE NEXT SCHOOL SHOOTING IS THIS:

Parents, bystanders will grab any weapon at hand, gun, sharp stick. Bare hands. They will push past the terrified police in the parking lot (at Uvalde these were essentially running perimeter security for the shooter!). Police will threaten to cuff, taze, and even shoot the parents. Some Mom or Dad will say "we just dare you!"

This is policing in America.

Wake27
06-08-22, 07:39
Pooh.

Imagine if a Brother officer was in the water? You think they'd have sat on the bank and called a slow boat? They'd have jumped right in.

Police protect themselves and their Brothers foremost. They protect the privileges of the wealthy and connected. They keep the working classes in line. But they're MIA when the going gets tough.

New York blackout.
L.A. riots.
Columbine.
Parkland.
Las Vegas.
Pulse night club.
Uvalde.

Pro gunners used to justify packing by saying "when seconds count, the police are minutes away." Say: "When seconds count, the police are running away."

Parents, bystanders will grab any weapon at hand, gun, sharp stick. Bare hands. They will push past the terrified police in the parking lot (at Uvalde these were essentially running perimeter security for the shooter!). Police will threaten to cuff, taze, and even shoot the parents. Some Mom or Dad will say "we just dare you!"

Weren’t you banned?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gsd2053
06-08-22, 08:00
He died doing what he loved

gsd2053
06-08-22, 08:44
Pooh.

New York blackout.
L.A. riots.
Columbine.
Parkland.
Las Vegas.
Pulse night club.
Uvalde.

While I agree that the culture of policing must change from the top down.

In this case. One of the most dangerous situations is getting within arms reach of a drowning person. Rationality goes out the window when a person is drowning and this guy wasn't steeped in it to begin with.

markm
06-08-22, 09:34
As a Tempe resident, I feel we need to drown WAY MORE of these homeless shit bags. Eff this fat scumbag bum.

Hush
06-08-22, 09:36
**** that guy, I'm not jumping into a lake and risking my life to save a crackhead who willingly got in the water knowing he cant swim. Hell, I'm not even getting wet for that guy. A water rescue is dangerous. That person knowingly put himself into that position, might as well call it a suicide.

SteyrAUG
06-08-22, 13:03
Pooh.

So if it was a brother officer, he wouldn't be swimming away trying to evade arrest and they probably wouldn't have to worry about if he was gonna try and take them with him.

This guy drowned because he had warrants and was evading arrest. Gee what could have saved him? I know...don't go in the f'ing water.

markm
06-08-22, 13:38
This guy drowned because he had warrants and was evading arrest. Gee what could have saved him? I know...don't go in the f'ing water.

Exactly. Eff him, and good riddance to a homeless piece of shit. Tempe needs to host a homeless ironman. Maybe we can get rid of more of these disgusting flea bags.

titsonritz
06-08-22, 15:10
Weren’t you banned?

Yeah, for speaking the unpopular truth. :jester:

jsbhike
06-08-22, 16:01
So if it was a brother officer, he wouldn't be swimming away trying to evade arrest and they probably wouldn't have to worry about if he was gonna try and take them with him.

I don't fault the cops for not jumping in for the obvious reason of that all but guaranteeing more than 1 drowning victim..

With that being said and looking at how things have always been, if the scenario of 2 officers drowning because a drunken officer decided to go for a swim and their colleague drowned while trying to save them hasn't already happened I would be absolutely amazed.

SteyrAUG
06-08-22, 16:59
I don't fault the cops for not jumping in for the obvious reason of that all but guaranteeing more than 1 drowning victim..

With that being said and looking at how things have always been, if the scenario of 2 officers drowning because a drunken officer decided to go for a swim and their colleague drowned while trying to save them hasn't already happened I would be absolutely amazed.

So at that point they knowingly risked their own lives for a co worker when they probably didn't have to. I'm ambivalent.

It's like somebody climbing onto the edge of a roof trying to save a family member who is seriously f'ed up on drugs. I understand why they might do it, I hope they made an informed "risk assessment" decision but that's their call to make and I don't expect anyone else to hang their ass out in the wind to do the same.

Pappabear
06-08-22, 17:09
As a Tempe resident, I feel we need to drown WAY MORE of these homeless shit bags. Eff this fat scumbag bum.

My main man for the win. +1

PB

markm
06-20-22, 13:28
They released the additional video showing other officers hustling to get a boat out to this shitbag. Clearly that piece of video was held back to create the outrage "they" so cherish.

Mind you... had they tazed the asshole when he tried getting into the water and arrested him, the lunatics would be crying excessive force.

SeriousStudent
06-20-22, 19:18
Weren’t you banned?

Nope, but I can fix that.