PDA

View Full Version : Close Range Training--Steel and Frangible, or Paper?

TBAR_94
06-09-22, 19:29
What are you guys using for training for close range rifle/carbine shooting--paper targets, or do you shoot steel and use frangible ammo? Most of my rifle shooting is at 100-500m, but I would like to incorporate some up close shooting in to my practice regime. I have been lazy and I pretty much exclusively shoot steel. I'm inclined to believe paper is the better answer just to get better feedback on shot placement--if that's the case, are there any hacks to make dealing with cardboard/paper less annoying?

Thanks!

Entryteam
06-09-22, 20:18
What are you guys using for training for close range rifle/carbine shooting--paper targets, or do you shoot steel and use frangible ammo? Most of my rifle shooting is at 100-500m, but I would like to incorporate some up close shooting in to my practice regime. I have been lazy and I pretty much exclusively shoot steel. I'm inclined to believe paper is the better answer just to get better feedback on shot placement--if that's the case, are there any hacks to make dealing with cardboard/paper less annoying?

Thanks!

I like both. Steel for instant gratification, but paper for more cost effective targets and informative runs.

flenna
06-09-22, 20:22
I’ve got several steel targets ranging from a 6” round plate to a 2/3 size IPSC shaped plate hanging on my property. I use mainly M193 and shoot those targets from 10 yards to 100 yards regularly with no issue. I hang them with chain so they swing freely when hit, directing the splatter down.

06-10-22, 01:13
9mm SBR with lead/powdercoated ammo.

TMS951
06-10-22, 06:21
I shoot steel with 5.56 up to 10 yards away with out a second thought.

I have some frag ammo. It’s best for under 10 yards. I’ll use it at 1 yard even.

mark5pt56
06-10-22, 06:33
Steel is great for teaching to get "hits" etc meaning give me three HITS on steel so folks will need to stay on it and get the hits, following up to make sure the threat is down. Paper is great to zero, confirm zero's, scoring, etc.

The saying goes, "You shoot at steel and aim on paper" Although we all know we are aiming at steel also. Think of it from the standpoint of sight management and trigger control which will increase speed and still get the hit on the prescribed target which should be a realistic sized one relative to range.

markm
06-10-22, 10:00
How close is "close range"???

gaijin
06-10-22, 10:11
We use combination of both; steel, paper.
Our steel has an “angled down” bracket that sits on the drive posts.
Have no trouble ricochet to 20 yds, other than to sides. A cardboard target close to steel can get pretty shredded if it’s placed wrong.

GH41
06-10-22, 10:13
I find it hard to beat white paper plates from the dollar store stapled onto tomato stakes.

markm
06-10-22, 11:06
For steel, the closer I get, the heavier the bullet so there's less velocity. I never shoot an XM193 round at close steel (too hard on the targets)

Frangible that's good enough to run in a rifle is pretty expensive, so I rarely shoot that. (Used to hand load Barnes frangibles to save money)

Inside of 7-10 yards, and it's paper time... even with frangibles.

titsonritz
06-10-22, 11:34
How close is "close range"???

^^^This. I'll paper at 3 feet steel not so much. Short answer, I use both steel and paper depending on what I'm doing, sometime together and I don't use frangible ammo.

markm
06-10-22, 11:38
and I don't use frangible ammo.

They had the good ones at Sportmans Warehouse last month. Federal made with the partial jacket. But they're really too expensive for close up stuff. Anything over a buck per round has to be shot at 300 yards or more in my mind.

titsonritz
06-10-22, 11:43
But they're really too expensive for close up stuff.

And that is why I don't use it, the shit is expensive enough with looking for ways to make it more so.

Stickman
06-10-22, 18:07
I've been hit in the legs with ricochets (45 acp), and I thought I had been shot. I would encourage you to wear your armor and really good safety glasses.

flenna
06-10-22, 20:51
I've been hit in the legs with ricochets (45 acp), and I thought I had been shot. I would encourage you to wear your armor and really good safety glasses.

Interesting enough I have found a lot of .45 acp 230 grain hardball bullets intact on the ground underneath steel plates. They looked good enough to reload and shoot again.

flenna
06-29-22, 16:26
Norma has a sale on frangible, about $.48/round.

https://normashooting.com/shop/caliber/rifle/223/223-rem-51-gr-norma-frangible-qty-50/

markm
06-29-22, 17:27
Norma has a sale on frangible, about $.48/round.

https://normashooting.com/shop/caliber/rifle/223/223-rem-51-gr-norma-frangible-qty-50/

Damn. $0.48 per round to ruin your barrel? I'd pay the dollar per round to get good frangibles.

flenna
06-29-22, 17:29
Damn. $0.48 per round to ruin your barrel? I'd pay the dollar per round to get good frangibles.

Hmm, ok. Care to explain? I don’t have experience with this particular ammo but would like to learn before I buy any.

markm
06-29-22, 17:43
Hmm, ok. Care to explain? I don’t have experience with this particular ammo but would like to learn before I buy any.

Yeah. Those compressed copper powder/whatever bullets that don't have a jacket disintegrate and bead blast your throat, barrel and suppressor baffles if shooting suppressed.

The good stuff in the Federal boxes/NT marked, etc. will have a jacket to keep the frangible material intact when the bullet is fired.

flenna
06-29-22, 18:15
Yeah. Those compressed copper powder/whatever bullets that don't have a jacket disintegrate and bead blast your throat, barrel and suppressor baffles if shooting suppressed.

The good stuff in the Federal boxes/NT marked, etc. will have a jacket to keep the frangible material intact when the bullet is fired.

Gotcha, thanks.

markm
06-30-22, 08:16
Sorry to come off like an ass. But the picture of those bullets triggered a primal, hell no reaction.

flenna
06-30-22, 19:39
Sorry to come off like an ass. But the picture of those bullets triggered a primal, hell no reaction.

It’s all good, you saved me money.

kerplode
06-30-22, 19:47
It’s all good, you saved me money.

Hell yeah...Me too! And now I know what to look out for in the future.

The previous range I used only allowed steel on the 100yd and longer lines unless it was a sanctioned shoot. New place I have access to now is more or less an uncontrolled garbage dump with no rules, but I got used to paper only at less than 100, so that's still mostly what I do.