PDA

View Full Version : Chrome Lined Barrels & Chrome Plated Parts

prepare
06-11-22, 08:10
Is there a difference between chrome plating and chrome lining?

Karl Lewis recently indicated that they're working diligently to reduce the amount of chrome plated parts due to environmental concerns with the chrome plating process.

Is this environmental concern with the chrome plating process industry wide?

Is this part of why we see so much nitride?

DG23
06-11-22, 10:31
Is there a difference between chrome plating and chrome lining?

Karl Lewis recently indicated that they're working diligently to reduce the amount of chrome plated parts due to environmental concerns with the chrome plating process.

Is this environmental concern with the chrome plating process industry wide?

Is this part of why we see so much nitride?

You see so much nitride because it is cheaper and easier for the manufacturer.

The environmental slant of choosing that over chrome sounds like woke ass virtue signalling to me.

Instead of marketing the product (and differences between the two treatments) on performance under the different conditions the part may be subjected to -

Univibe
06-11-22, 11:21
Chrome lining of a barrel and chamber is a different process from chrome plating a bolt carrier or a car bumper.

Slater
06-11-22, 11:40
Most, if not all, of Beretta's handguns have chrome-lined barrels. Haven't heard of any plans to change that, but who knows?

gaijin
06-11-22, 12:06
“Chrome” as it is used in firearms is “Industrial Hard Chrome” and its application and wear characteristics have little in common with “Chrome Plating” as used in autos/bicycles/etc.
Hard Chrome is applied by an electrolysis process and if applied properly, will not, cannot flake off.
Hard Chrome is/has been used in Aerospace and Salt H2O environments for its abrasion and fairly good corrosion resistant properties.

“Melonite”, a nitro carberizing process is better in corrosion resistance and at least as good, if not better, in abrasion resistance than HC. It is used in firearm production as well; think Glocks “Tennifer”.

“Nitride” is a similar nitro carberizing process to Melonite, but involves a lower temperature in application and is not as abrasion resistant as Melonite.
The temperatures used in Melonite can destroy or damage smaller parts.

MegademiC
06-16-22, 19:59
Chrome lining of a barrel and chamber is a different process from chrome plating a bolt carrier or a car bumper.

How? Are carriers and car bumpers the same?

lysander
06-17-22, 15:39
How? Are carriers and car bumpers the same?here ya go . . .

https://hcsplating.com/finishes/hard-chrome-plating/hard-chrome-vs-decorative-chrome-plating/

prepare
06-17-22, 16:46
here ya go . . .

https://hcsplating.com/finishes/hard-chrome-plating/hard-chrome-vs-decorative-chrome-plating/

Really glad you're back and hope you're well!

MegademiC
06-18-22, 23:36
here ya go . . .

My issue with Univibe's comment was that he lumped BCG and bumpers together.
No one respectable decorative chromes BCGs.

lysander
06-19-22, 14:03
My issue with Univibe's comment was that he lumped BCG and bumpers together.
No one respectable decorative chromes BCGs.
Barrels are hard chrome plated.

Bolts, carriers and associated parts should not be hard chrome plated but plated with Thin Dense Chrome (TDC) plating to avoid fatigue issues.

What is TDC? (https://armoloy-il.com/faq/)

Pappabear
06-19-22, 15:20
“Chrome” as it is used in firearms is “Industrial Hard Chrome” and its application and wear characteristics have little in common with “Chrome Plating” as used in autos/bicycles/etc.
Hard Chrome is applied by an electrolysis process and if applied properly, will not, cannot flake off.
Hard Chrome is/has been used in Aerospace and Salt H2O environments for its abrasion and fairly good corrosion resistant properties.

“Melonite”, a nitro carberizing process is better in corrosion resistance and at least as good, if not better, in abrasion resistance than HC. It is used in firearm production as well; think Glocks “Tennifer”.

“Nitride” is a similar nitro carberizing process to Melonite, but involves a lower temperature in application and is not as abrasion resistant as Melonite.
The temperatures used in Melonite can destroy or damage smaller parts.

I was thinking that exact same thing. I wish LOL !!!! Gaijin for the win.

PB

mbjku
06-26-22, 06:15
I prefer CL and CHF barrels on all my carbines and that is including AK's. Longer life, better cleaning and no rust. That is military standard all over this planet and environmental crap is funny :)