PDA

View Full Version : any Intel on Shadow system pistols...?

Backfire
06-15-22, 08:37
Anyone have a dossier on this company that's commanding 900 bucks for a pistol?

Few beretta's and SS taking up a lot of shelf space.

crosseyedshooter
06-15-22, 12:39
They’re a Texas company making hot-rodded Gen 3 Glock clones. If you’re a Gen 3 Glock guy, and plan to make similar modifications, you might come out ahead buying a Shadow Systems gun. The most interesting feature, to me, I’d their slide cut accommodated multiple optics without using any adapter plates.

Coal Dragger
06-15-22, 15:30
My brother bought one. It runs well, and has some nice features that close that cost gap if you add them to a Glock or have the grip work done to a Glock to get the same higher grip.

Would I buy one over a Glock? Yes, but my budget allows for this.

Is it the end all be all of blasters? No.

Backfire
06-15-22, 15:50
Not a glock fan per se, but g19 always goes to the range for friends or wolf ammo. I care about it the least but a necessary tool. Sort of like the old 350 pickup beater that just keeps running and can always count on.

I want a gock 19x with optic slide, think it may be the 43x, but not sure.

Thanks for the heads up, looking more Into them

pag23
06-15-22, 19:47
If you can find any blem models you can save a decent chunk of change.....

They shoot very well and the ergos are excellent... I picked up the MR920 optics ready model recently for $700.....not a fan of the other ones...

sandsunsurf
06-15-22, 19:59
I was skeptical at first, bought one (MR920) in January or so because I wanted a RDS. The cut is deeper so most sights like RMR, Holosun and Sig co-witness with the Shadow Systems factory sights which are just a tiny bit higher than standard sights.

After shooting it, I was about ready to get rid of all my Glocks.. the grip is better, higher up because of the undercuts at the triggerguard and the beavertail. The slide is smoother and the trigger is marginally better than factory Glock (think 25-cent trigger job).

I bought my second MR920 last month because they’re that awesome. Next on the list is a DR920P to replace my G34. My G17 Gen 3 and Gen 4 are now relegated to looking cool in a locked case.

Another bit of coolness is that they are NIJ certified for law enforcement use. Most agencies that I know of don’t give a shit, but the list of NIJ certified handguns is shorter than I expected. Also, I believe it’s still true that if you use your Shadow Systems in a legitimate self defense shooting they will give you another one while yours is in police evidence.

TL/dr; they’re awesome and worth the extra coin.

signal4l
06-15-22, 20:18
I got a great deal on a blemished one. I've shot the hell out of it. It's a good gun. The Optics mounting system is ingenious.

jesuvuah
06-16-22, 11:16
I had an xr920. I was honestly underwhelmed. It felt great, but I found I shot my glocks marginally better, but they are what I was used to.

I also found that changing the backstraps didn't actually change how the gun pointed for me. It probably does for most people, but it did nothing for me..

Soli Deo Gloria

kerplode
06-16-22, 13:23
Although I haven't personally used one, I have never heard a single bad thing about Shadow Systems pistols.

When I first heard of them, I didn't know anything about them and just ASSumed they were another gucci gamer-glock clone. Turns out they're 100% the real deal, though.

One of only four manufacturers to have handguns certified by the NIJ for LE use (https://nij.ojp.gov/nij-compliance-testing-autoloading-pistols).

I'd love to pick one up one of these days. Gonna have to keep an eye out for a blem unit, I guess.

D.S. Brown
06-16-22, 14:43
Two weeks ago I started selling off my Glock 9mm’s. I’ve replaced them with 4 Shadow Systems guns. I’ve shot 300 rounds through 3 of them, but foot surgery will prevent my 300 round break in on the DR 920 for a few weeks. BTW, all 900 rounds were shot through PMAGs, and they worked WELL! Any malfunctions I had with their infamous 200 break-in period, came within the first mag of each gun, and it was a failure to go fully into battery, sling shotting the slide on the first round. After that, these guns just ran! Not to say you wouldn’t get more, I’ve watched a few videos of people documenting their break-ins, and more than a few experienced multiple malfunctions within the first 50 rounds, but MOST ran well after shooting a mag or two.

I’ve been on the Glock platform since ‘99. This was definitely an upgrade. What sold me was the quality of the guns, in particular the back strap system is WAAAY ahead of the Glock. They come shipped with the neutral back strap installed, which for me provides natural pointability, and better ergo’s, (for a polymer gun, but still not Walther ergos). I also like the optic cut. I think they figured out a universal system, better than anyone else. I used to work for a company that specialized in optic cuts, and I was resigned that they would do any optic cuts I needed, because there was NO WAY I would buy a Glock MOS gun. The trigger is better than any stock Glock trigger, (but that’s not a high bar), and the blacked out rear, with tritium front sight is excellent. I’m more accurate with the Shadow Systems guns, and though I think the latter offer better mechanical accuracy, I’ve also shot Glocks almost exclusively for 23 years, and I’ve had a lot of good training in that time, and know my basics/fundamentals are good to go.

Shadow Systems does have a patriot/protectors program that make discounted guns available to LE/MIL/First Responders. I’m a veteran from way back, and I qualify for the program, but forewarned it isn’t the easiest program to access. An authorized dealer has to either have a gun in stock for this program, (they come in a green pistol bag, versus the black pistol bag regular Shadow Systems guns come in), or their respective wholesaler has to have one able to order. Shadow Systems will help you find authorized dealers in your area. I didn’t get any of my guns on this program, but I found an MR920, and a DR920 on sale for about the price I would have paid on the Patriot/Protectors Program.

The only way I would consider purchasing the inevitable Gen6 Glock, (guessing 2-3 years from now), is if said guns were a blatant rip off of the Shadow Systems guns, with equal quality, and competitively priced.[emoji41][emoji3577]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dutch110
06-16-22, 14:56
Couple caveats here. I was a die hard Glock guy for well over 10 years. Had a few ZEV full builds (underwhelmed TBH) back in the day. Carried and competed with them. Then I fell in love with the CZ P10 line and sold all my Glocks. For ME they had a better trigger, ergo's and night sites right out of the box. I am not a Glock hater by any stretch. Shadow Systems held a demo and range day at my LGS / Indoor range so I got to put a handful of rounds through them all. Triggers were very inconsistent among the ones I shot but that could just be because some had more rounds through them (and had smoothed out more) than the others. But even the new guns the rep had on the table felt different. Like others have said, they are marginally better then a stock Glock. I think the ergonomics are better than the Glock for sure. Their optic mountain system, well, I wish everyone would copy them. They really nailed it. If the features they add over a stock Glock are things you were going to send your stock Glock out to get done to it then the cost benefit is definitely there. But at the end of the day they didn't make me want to get rid of my CZs.

Biggy
06-16-22, 16:09
From my experience they are excellent pistols. FYI, SME Ken Hackathorn runs one and has nothing but good to say about it.

pag23
06-16-22, 19:18
Two weeks ago I started selling off my Glock 9mm’s. I’ve replaced them with 4 Shadow Systems guns. I’ve shot 300 rounds through 3 of them, but foot surgery will prevent my 300 round break in on the DR 920 for a few weeks. BTW, all 900 rounds were shot through PMAGs, and they worked WELL! Any malfunctions I had with their infamous 200 break-in period, came within the first mag of each gun, and it was a failure to go fully into battery, sling shotting the slide on the first round. After that, these guns just ran! Not to say you wouldn’t get more, I’ve watched a few videos of people documenting their break-ins, and more than a few experienced multiple malfunctions within the first 50 rounds, but MOST ran well after shooting a mag or two.

I’ve been on the Glock platform since ‘99. This was definitely an upgrade. What sold me was the quality of the guns, in particular the back strap system is WAAAY ahead of the Glock. They come shipped with the neutral back strap installed, which for me provides natural pointability, and better ergo’s, (for a polymer gun, but still not Walther ergos). I also like the optic cut. I think they figured out a universal system, better than anyone else. I used to work for a company that specialized in optic cuts, and I was resigned that they would do any optic cuts I needed, because there was NO WAY I would buy a Glock MOS gun. The trigger is better than any stock Glock trigger, (but that’s not a high bar), and the blacked out rear, with tritium front sight is excellent. I’m more accurate with the Shadow Systems guns, and though I think the latter offer better mechanical accuracy, I’ve also shot Glocks almost exclusively for 23 years, and I’ve had a lot of good training in that time, and know my basics/fundamentals are good to go.

Shadow Systems does have a patriot/protectors program that make discounted guns available to LE/MIL/First Responders. I’m a veteran from way back, and I qualify for the program, but forewarned it isn’t the easiest program to access. An authorized dealer has to either have a gun in stock for this program, (they come in a green pistol bag, versus the black pistol bag regular Shadow Systems guns come in), or their respective wholesaler has to have one able to order. Shadow Systems will help you find authorized dealers in your area. I didn’t get any of my guns on this program, but I found an MR920, and a DR920 on sale for about the price I would have paid on the Patriot/Protectors Program.

The only way I would consider purchasing the inevitable Gen6 Glock, (guessing 2-3 years from now), is if said guns were a blatant rip off of the Shadow Systems guns, with equal quality, and competitively priced.[emoji41][emoji3577]

I had the same issue with the first mag and after that smooth as butter..

scooter22
06-16-22, 19:40
They're trash. The Zev OZ9 is also trash. The grip shape/angles are nice, but that's about it. Buy a real Glock.

Biggy
06-16-22, 19:46
I currently have three Shadow Systems pistols, a MR920, MR930L and a CR920. They all have functioned flawlessly since day one and their accuracy are comparable to Gen 5 Glock 9mm’s. IMHO, their triggers out of the box are okay to not that great, but with dry firing and just shooting them, they become an okay carry trigger. Their standard optics cut is good, but they need to offer to everybody, pistols and slides with optic cuts for closed emitter type red dot optics like the ACRO, Holosun and Steiner. To me, when compared to a factory Glock, they have a much more ergonomic grip frame with very good factory texturing and a better overall optics cut. FYI, I change out the SS mag release for a factory Glock or TangoDown/Vickers mag release on my MR920 series pistols. *Supposedly* the Shadow Systems mag release is made out of a little harder polymer material than the Glock OEM mag release, and over time will wear the Glock mags, but Magpul Glock mags are fine. Also, while the factory SS slide lock / release works okay, I like to change them out for the TangoDown /Vickers slide release, that has a little more protruding shelf. Overall, I am completely satisfied with mine and have no regrets about buying them.

https://i.imgur.com/kndftnph.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/pIF7MeLl.jpg

pag23
06-17-22, 05:43
They're trash. The Zev OZ9 is also trash. The grip shape/angles are nice, but that's about it. Buy a real Glock.

Please expand on your opinion.....I have had Glocks for over 20 years and Shadow Systems are a definite upgrade

call_me_ski
06-17-22, 07:53
It has been a while since I cruised their web sight and I have to admit that their integrally compensated DR920P has me interested. Any experience. I like the way the comp is attached on paper but have concerns regarding its durability. And FFS why with the holes in the slide?

JiminAZ
06-17-22, 17:04
I have a few of them and have been very impressed. As a 1911 guy, these guns solve my basic issue with the Glock which is grip angle. They ship with three inserts - largest is equivalent to Glock, Midsize is equivalent to M&P, and smallest is equivalent to 1911. So now the gun indexes right for me.

They have run great/accurate, and the trigger is fine/manageable. No issues at all and I prefer the stippling job, and sights over standard Glock offerings. The optic mounts work great and cowitness is visible. They fit in my existing G holsters.

I opted for the cheaper one without the holes in the slide. In my mind the holes in the slide are just crap catchers which is undesirable on a carry gun. Have 2 each of MR920 (G19 equivalent) and one DR920 (G17 equivalent). I don't think I paid more than about 750 for any of them. Worth the few extra bux over the equivalent Glock IMO.

Tanner
06-17-22, 22:30
I picked up a 'bleb" model a few weeks ago, unable to locate where the 'bleb' was. DR920 model, no issues at all so far, (a bit over 1k rds) use oem g17 mags, gave away the pmags., believe it more accurate than Gen 5 Glock 17. It's basically a very nice upgraded G17. Sort of like buying a Camry or a Lexus, essentially the same, but the Lexus is a bit better.

RWH24
06-18-22, 01:57

DR920 ELITE with RMR07 and TLR-1HL

Glock OEM mags tend to fit VERY SNUG. The Magpuls
fit like I think they should and by adding the thicker base pad on the Magpul Mags,
They fit, function very good and extend below the nag well extension.
Someday, I will try the SGM 33 rnd mags from South Korea.

RWH24
06-18-22, 02:05

DR920 ELITE with RMR07 and TLR-1HL

RWH24
06-18-22, 02:20
DR920 ELITE with RMR07 and TLR-1HL[/QUOTE]

IDR920 ELITE with RMR07 and TLR-1HL have a XR920 ELITE that retired my G45 to bedside duty or safe gun.

crosseyedshooter
06-28-22, 22:21
They seem like a stand-up company that takes care of its customers.

http://youtu.be/otZ5n-CiCno

Mr_Happy1
06-29-22, 00:09
I agree, I was very happy to see their response. I have one of those barrels. I sent my email. Hopefully I receive my replacement barrel before too long. I have shot my pistol once for about 150, I had a couple of stoppages, but I wasn't gonna worry too much till after the break in. I am looking forward to getting it back to the range with the new barrel.

D.S. Brown
06-29-22, 00:13
Talk about a response. I think I saw the Honest Outlaw YT video regarding the CR 920 a little over a week ago. For Shadow Systems to have assessed, diagnosed, and offered up a solution in that time frame is practically operating in real time for this industry. I may speed up my time frame for getting a CR 920 by a few months.[emoji41][emoji3577]

Coal Dragger
06-30-22, 15:45
That is how to manage an issue with your products. Any company or individual offering a product or service for sale should take notes.

Twilk73
06-30-22, 21:09
It’s a Glock and it’s a Glock with a terrible aftermarket magazine at that. Anyone who like the p mag Glock mags probably isn’t shooting much or throws them away often. That’s just my opinion, I don’t like the grip it doesn’t feel like stippling, it feels like slightly better Gen 3 grip but not as good as gen 4 grip. I think the p80 is better honestly. Again just my opinion. I’ve shot both and I am a Glock guy. I would just buy a Glock and upgrade it though. The integrated mag well on the gen 5 is low profile enough for me. Id mill the Glock or by mos and I’d change the sights and trigger. The grip is good enough for a gun fight on a Glock and ok for competition use. The Glock is a reliable Honda Civic lol. Not very cool but damn it starts every time.

Mr_Happy1
07-15-22, 22:17
I just wanted to give you all a quick update. I received my barrel today. As luck would have it, my family is out of town. I am going to get it to the range at least once this weekend. I will report back.

Biggy
07-19-22, 13:07
FYI, the new Sig Romeo 2 RD pistol sight *does fit* the MR920 and DR920 pistols. You will need to fit (sand down) one of the polymer recoil spacers to fit the gap behind the RDS which is approximately .075". I also have an Aimpoint ACRO P2 that has been direct milled to a Glock GEN 4 OEM slide. I like both of these sights, but I like the Romeo 2's window size more, it's seems a little more forgiving and faster to pick up the dot, *to me*.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJA9Z1Tu3mo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT1rC-eCFwk

https://i.imgur.com/O7NH0fkh.jpg

Biggy
07-23-22, 15:04
My Holosun EPS-CARRY-RD-6 (6 MOA dot) came today from EUROOPTIC. I direct mounted it to my Shadow Systems CR920. I used one of the Shadow Systems polymer spacers in front of the optic, no sanding of the spacer needed, no gaps and super secure. I think it will work out great.

https://i.imgur.com/JCHbxi9h.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/9IaTzlFh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/qlAejMph.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ogMqps0h.jpg

Biggy
07-24-22, 17:08
My Radian Weapons Afterburner/Ramjet - Glock 19 Barrel and Compensator (GEN 4) came today. Super easy install on my Shadow Systems MR920 Combat, the barrel has a nice tight lock-up, the barrel bore looks good, the machining and finishing looks fine. I plan on getting the Radian COMPRESSOR Quick-Tune Guide Rod when it becomes available. It fits in my Tennicore Certum 3 just fine. It's raining here today, but hopefully I can do some shooting with it tomorrow.

https://i.imgur.com/BrWyo5Mh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/UFujPw8h.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/X8cnP7hh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/OOGkIAsh.jpg

Pappabear
07-25-22, 10:24
I have been tempted to grab one of these gun many o times. Never pulled the trigger but they make sense.
PB

pag23
07-25-22, 16:22
I have been tempted to grab one of these gun many o times. Never pulled the trigger but they make sense.
PB

Pm sent

mizer67
08-02-22, 08:56
Seems to be value in some of the offerings to me from Shadow Systems vs. a Glock. Take the MR920 combat vs. a Gen 5 G19. Street price on the MR920 is ~$625 at the moment vs. in my AO ~$539 for the Glock.

The first thing I do with a Glock is get rid of the plastic slot fillers and replace them with real sights. So at that point, the Glock and MR920 are on equal footing, from a pricing perspective.

Whether or not you or I value the other stuff you get with the 920 is YMMV. I've not shot one but am considering a purchase because for roughly equal cost, the MR920 seems to be a better value and I've read they're flatter shooting than the equivalent Glock.

The value starts to reduce once you get an optic cut model, but for iron sights, it's there. I just wish they had a right side mag release (lefty).

Damn_yankee
08-03-22, 07:43
I just wish they had a right side mag release (lefty).

Can't you just flip the mag release?

mizer67
08-03-22, 07:55
Yes, sorry, meant to say the slide release like the Gen 5 Glocks adopted.

It's not a major issue, except when clearing malfunctions where it's much easier and more reliable to have the slide release vs. trying to use the one on the opposite side of the gun. I always install an extended slide release to I can use my left index finger, so it's possible to work around but not as good as a dual sided release. Also it's a bit quicker than coming over the top and racking the slide during a reload. I know that can be controversial, but it's been dependable for me on guns that have a dual sided release.

tweakmeister
08-03-22, 15:54
I hear you. Their designs are based on a Gen 4 Glock. My understanding is when the patent expires on the Gen 5 they will probably introduce ambi designs.

PatrioticDisorder
08-03-22, 19:14
Is anyone running the slim line kagwerks slide release on their CR920? I love mine, minus the persistent premature slide lock I get.