PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions RE how to load my SG trunk monkey

DarrinD
12-20-08, 11:36
Assuming you had to carry a trunk monkey, and it couldn't be another LE M4 because of your CFO (wife), and so you had a Mossberg 590A1 like me with a collapsible M4 style stock and two shot shell carriers (one on the left and one on the opposing side of the stock).

The question is how best to load it for trunk monkey duty. Right now, just using my amateur knowledge, I've loaded 7 shells of buckshot in the pipe, chamber empty, safety off, and shot shell carrier loaded with different offerings.

The tube: 7 Federal low recoil 00 Buck (-1 for the 590A1); I've thought about alternating some #1 Buck Magnum loads after every two Federals, but don't know about that. Probably should stay consistent.

Left side shot shell carrier: 6 Winchester LEO low recoil rifled slugs.

Opposing stock carrier: 5 more Federal low recoil 00 Buck shells.

Thanks for all suggestions.

RWK
12-20-08, 12:02
I load the tube with buckshot and the sidesaddle with 3 buckshot and 3 slugs. I don't use a stock-mounted carrier but, if I did I'd be inclined to load it the same way: 3 and 3.

I'm not a fan of alternating different types of rounds in a magazine, especially buckshot. Different loads will pattern differently and I'd want to know exactly what I'm going to get with each round without trying to keep track of what's in the chamber and what's coming up next in the tube.

Since you're using a shotgun as a trunk gun, you might want to consider buckshot with the FliteControl wadding since you could anticipate somewhat extended ranges. A red-dot sight would be useful for slugs at extended ranges.

I'd also recommend some additional ammo carriage. Something like this (http://www.eagleindustries.com/product.php?productid=230&cat=71&page=1) loaded with a mix of buckshot and slugs.

Dan Goodwin
12-21-08, 08:10
If you already have an AR in the trunk for single-projectile missions, ditch one of the sidesaddle gizzies to save weight, load buckshot in the magazine and leave room enough to top with a Brenneke slug taken from your remaining sidesaddle...if you suddenly have to punch a 3/4-in. hole through something like a car body or tempered auto glass.

And our experience has been that trunk monkeys never have time to get out of the trunk when the caca hits the wind machine. Keep your long guns in an overhead rack if you want to use them in a fight.

buccamachine
12-23-08, 07:49
I would have to agree Dan. If you need to reach out use the AR. Keep the SG loaded up with the buckshot; all the same rounds for reliable patterning. Unfortunetly my dept. only lets us carry slugs for duty SG's, so the variety is not an option. From my experience you can't beat the ability of OO buck to throw a lot of lead down range quickly. But it never hurts to have slugs available either. Not sure what type of gun rack you have, but mine will not accomodate side saddles attached to the receiver.

DarrinD
12-23-08, 09:56
Unfortunately, I don't have the option to carry an AR/LE M4 inside the cabin so it's just me, my sidearm, and a SG locked in the trunk - which is limiting, I know. Thus, I'm probably going to keep all Fed Tactical 00 in the tube (-1) and at least 6 slugs in the side shot shell carrier for longer range work.

m24shooter
12-23-08, 11:26
I've got a 590A1 that I keep stowed in one of my trucks.
Since it is in a vehicle, and if ever needed it would be in that context, here is what I keep on mine.
The mag tube is full of Fed standard 00. Not the tac load: if I need the shotgun, it will probably be around other vehicles and I'd rather have a little more oompf if needed (autoglass, sheetmetal). I've got a sidesaddle with 4 rounds of 00, and 2 Rottweils. The Speedfeed stock has 2 more of each. I've got a claymore bag with 00 and slugs in it behind the seat.
How comfortable is that M4 stock with the shell carriers on it? I don't care for them and found they interfere with stock positioning.
As posted, my first choice would be an M4, but if you can't, you can't. I have the A1 in the truck for when I'm not dragging the M4 into and out of the truck.

DarrinD
12-23-08, 13:40
I've got a 590A1 that I keep stowed in one of my trucks.
How comfortable is that M4 stock with the shell carriers on it? I don't care for them and found they interfere with stock positioning.
As posted, my first choice would be an M4, but if you can't, you can't. I have the A1 in the truck for when I'm not dragging the M4 into and out of the truck.

I've always been against shell carriers on the stock, but this 6 position M4 style stock is perfect for me. It comes with a recoil pad that assists in attaining an indeal cheek weld, and the added weight from the #1 Buck Magnum loads I currently have on the stocks shot shell carrier is more than offset by the weight that the 590A1 lost when I removed its fixed stock. Since it is an all purpose long gun, I also like the collapsible stock because I can shorten it up just in case I had to deploy it inside homes/buildings. (it's still not a light SG; the 590A1 has the metal trigger group for .mil spec, but also the heavier barrel. I don't mind, but it's certainly not a SG for my wife).

I'm an M4 Zealot, but the more time I spend behind this newly set-up SG, the more I see a permanent place for it in my toolbox - or at least my trunk for now.

cfrazier
12-23-08, 16:33
I carry a 870 with an empty chamber cocked with safety on. In the tube is Fed 00 12 pellet with 6 more 00 Fed on side saddle and 5 Fed 1oz slugs on the buttcuff. if I need to quickly change ammo to a slug all I need to do is open camber and load a slug. That way I'm not having to worry about picking a round out of chamber before loading a slug.

Dan Goodwin
12-25-08, 09:58
Darrin,

Mesa Tactical makes good parts, no question.

But the more I do this stuff the more I subscribe to KISS, especially with SGs.

Got the MT low tube on an 18-in. work gun right now, but noticed that its LOP when retracted all the way is the same as on my 14-in. gun with the Hogue Bantam. Also the drop on the MT is pretty minimal. So one of my projects while I'm off for the holiday is putting a short LOP standard stock back on the 18-in.

Had a Micro T1 on the 14-in. using the MT carrier/scope base. No problem plopping Rem LR slugs on COM @ 100 yards. It's a good solution if you are limited to a SG for your general long gun.

Before being issued a carbine, I loaded my SG with slugs and had buck to select if needed (I worked in a unit that did a lot of vehicle takedowns and buck ain't much on cars) for entries or in the woods.

But now that I'm issued a 6933, my SGs are going to primarily buckshot. And I'm thinking really hard about just taking all the shell carriers off them to keep the weapons more responsive and better handling. Those two qualities making hitting fast with a SG much easier.

Spare buck and slug shells can be carried in an Eagle Patrol Bandolier. I don't currently have an in-car rack for either long gun. Just keep them handy inside the cab of my SUV. And trying to figure out if there'll be enough head room for a dual Big Sky overhead for the Colt and Remington.

Joe Mamma
12-30-08, 08:55
There's a lot of good information in this thread. I also vote for not mixing buckshot brands/type, and like to download the mag tube by one for the same reason cfrazier does.

Joe Mamma

K.L. Davis
12-30-08, 19:05
Slug,
Ferret,
Buck,
Buck,
Buck.

Seems to work pretty well...