PDA

View Full Version : I was "that guy" at the range today.

WillBrink
06-21-22, 16:05
Per latest acquisition of AR pistol (1), I took it to the range to try it out. As expected, very loud and big pretty fireball. But, my Peltor active muffs did their job, and it was all good. 100 rnds no issues. Back in the day, would have done 200-300 for sure, but to much $ these days, and I was "that guy" annoying people at an indoor range. I was alone for the first 60 rnds actually and people started coming in, so not too bad. It's worse when you are on either side of such a gun vs behind it. So, did my bit, told them I'd have a can on the crazy thing some day, and left.

I still didn't bother me all that much and was perfectly pleasant to shoot, although way better at an outdoor range no doubt.

Ps, loudest AR I have ever fired was 16" with a muzzle break designed to reduce recoil (as if an AR needed such a thing...) and it sent gas and sound back at you. And entire line of us shooting ARs of various lengths and configs, and they all looked over and said "WTF is up with that AR dude?" True story.

(1) https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?236286-What-cans-are-we-using-on-SBRs-and-AR-pistols

titsonritz
06-21-22, 17:19
Muzzle brakes are stupid, I get it on a Barrett 95, but on ARs...LAME, especially short ARs.

WillBrink
06-21-22, 17:31
Muzzle brakes are stupid, I get it on a Barrett 95, but on ARs...LAME, especially short ARs.

It was not mine and it was lame.

SeriousStudent
06-21-22, 18:39
I have a muzzle brake on an SBR, but that upper ALWAYS has a can on it. It's a Sionics ERGP barrel, and I don't think it will even run without the can.

It's purpose is to act as a sacrificial baffle, and extend the life of the can.

opngrnd
06-21-22, 19:11
I have a muzzle brake on an SBR, but that upper ALWAYS has a can on it. It's a Sionics ERGP barrel, and I don't think it will even run without the can.

It's purpose is to act as a sacrificial baffle, and extend the life of the can.

This is the way.

DG23
06-21-22, 19:28

My son has one on a rifle length barrel / rifle gas / rifle buffered AR. He claims because of the 'recoil' reduction.

That + him owning 2 cats + the lack of a girlfriend pretty much prove to me he is a homo.

georgeib
06-21-22, 19:40
My son has one on a rifle length barrel / rifle gas / rifle buffered AR. He claims because of the 'recoil' reduction.

That + him owning 2 cats + the lack of a girlfriend pretty much prove to me he is a homo.[emoji1787]

DG23
06-21-22, 19:59
Per latest acquisition of AR pistol (1), I took it to the range to try it out. As expected, very loud and big pretty fireball. But, my Peltor active muffs did their job, and it was all good. 100 rnds no issues. Back in the day, would have done 200-300 for sure, but to much $ these days, and I was "that guy" annoying people at an indoor range.

Been doing a lot of indoor range shooting with a compensated pistol lately due to the heat. Can definitely understand what you mean here! :)

The 'factory ammo' for the particular firearm I have been shooting is about a buck and a half per round from Underwood (not many others even make this particular stuff) + shipping and tax...

Being a reloader and being really well stocked - I roll my own using the same exact components for about 20 cents per (not counting the brass cause it lasts for damn near ever if I do not lose it)

Yeah, my costs will go up eventually when I get to where I 'need' to buy more bullets, primers or powder but even at current ass rape prices on those things I would still be well under 40 cents per round to make them myself.

3 AE
06-21-22, 21:37

That + him owning 2 cats + the lack of a girlfriend pretty much prove to me he is a homo.

Tell him to bring the two cats the next time he fires that weapon. Once they hear and feel the blast, they'll tear his ass up! Have the A2 flash hider ready to put back on. :)

SteyrAUG
06-21-22, 22:25
Per latest acquisition of AR pistol (1), I took it to the range to try it out. As expected, very loud and big pretty fireball. But, my Peltor active muffs did their job, and it was all good. 100 rnds no issues. Back in the day, would have done 200-300 for sure, but to much $ these days, and I was "that guy" annoying people at an indoor range. I was alone for the first 60 rnds actually and people started coming in, so not too bad. It's worse when you are on either side of such a gun vs behind it. So, did my bit, told them I'd have a can on the crazy thing some day, and left.

I still didn't bother me all that much and was perfectly pleasant to shoot, although way better at an outdoor range no doubt.

Ps, loudest AR I have ever fired was 16" with a muzzle break designed to reduce recoil (as if an AR needed such a thing...) and it sent gas and sound back at you.

(1) https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?236286-What-cans-are-we-using-on-SBRs-and-AR-pistols

I was just gonna say, those ban era ARs with the 74 style brakes are the loudest 5.56 ANYTHING I've ever heard.

SteyrAUG
06-21-22, 22:26

Clinton ban era, flash hiders not permitted so perm mounted muzzle brake or bare bores where all that was allowed.

Hammer_Man
06-22-22, 00:39

I put a muzzle brake on my 308 just so I can pull it out when some jackass at the indoor range is shooting an unsuppressed SBR.

WillBrink
06-22-22, 07:52
Been doing a lot of indoor range shooting with a compensated pistol lately due to the heat. Can definitely understand what you mean here! :)

The 'factory ammo' for the particular firearm I have been shooting is about a buck and a half per round from Underwood (not many others even make this particular stuff) + shipping and tax...

Being a reloader and being really well stocked - I roll my own using the same exact components for about 20 cents per (not counting the brass cause it lasts for damn near ever if I do not lose it)

Yeah, my costs will go up eventually when I get to where I 'need' to buy more bullets, primers or powder but even at current ass rape prices on those things I would still be well under 40 cents per round to make them myself.

The white box range ammo is a $1 per round!!!

utahjeepr
06-22-22, 08:28
Per latest acquisition of AR pistol (1), I took it to the range to try it out. As expected, very loud and big pretty fireball.

Hee hee! :)

Yeah, my 7 inch AK is much the same. Loud as hell, and 3 foot beach balls of fire. I'm running a linear on it. You should run yours in the dark, the strobe effect is quite... pronounced. ;)

WillBrink
06-22-22, 08:31
I put a muzzle brake on my 308 just so I can pull it out when some jackass at the indoor range is shooting an unsuppressed SBR.

I resemble that!

utahjeepr
06-22-22, 08:32
I was just gonna say, those ban era ARs with the 74 style brakes are the loudest 5.56 ANYTHING I've ever heard.

Pretty sure the 74 brake was designed to make the average Russian conscript think he was still running a .30 cal. ;)

Either that or they wanted to toughen Ivan up by hanging an anvil on the end of the barrel and having him swing it around.

gaijin
06-22-22, 09:14

Gotta love it.

WillBrink
06-22-22, 10:03
Gotta love it.

Classic M4C. Savage. At least the kid owns an AR, so can't be all bad in my book.

Todd.K
06-22-22, 10:28
Put a muzzle brake on it and go back the weekend before deer season starts…

Stickman
06-22-22, 13:24
It seems that all the internet kids want to go as short as possible (obviously not you Will), and forget the lack of reliability, damaging noise and concussion, never mind the lack of ballistic ability when they are using 8, 7.5 and even 6.5" barrels. Throwing a brake on them does tame the intensified felt recoil, but at the price of damaging ears or mandating the shooter double up ear pro.

I had a team that used 6.5" barrels on duty guns. I wanted to cry, and eventually I simply replaced all the barrel in inventory with 10.5s.

WillBrink
06-22-22, 13:32
It seems that all the internet kids want to go as short as possible (obviously not you Will), and forget the lack of reliability, damaging noise and concussion, never mind the lack of ballistic ability when they are using 8, 7.5 and even 6.5" barrels. Throwing a brake on them does tame the intensified felt recoil, but at the price of damaging ears or mandating the shooter double up ear pro.

I had a team that used 6.5" barrels on duty guns. I wanted to cry, and eventually I simply replaced all the barrel in inventory with 10.5s.

The internet kids want short as possible, but they don't know why they want it. I do at least. My POV on the topic covered in the other thread linked in the OP. I feel I gave a good account of the choice made as it applies to me. :agree:

kerplode
06-22-22, 16:41

I got stuck next to some rube shooting an SBR with a battlecomp one time. It was definitely unpleasant and I moved at the first opportunity.

Not the loudest thing I experienced at an indoor range, though...

I made the mistake of firing my Guide Gun in 375 Ruger there while it had the brake attached. HUGE fireball, the blast wave PIMP SMACKED me in the face, dust rained down from the ceiling, and it made my ears ring through double earpro. Some dude at the other end of the line said "HOLY SHIT!! What the hell was THAT!" Holy shit indeed. One round and done for that session...

WillBrink
06-22-22, 17:03
I got stuck next to some rube shooting an SBR with a battlecomp one time. It was definitely unpleasant and I moved at the first opportunity.

Not the loudest thing I experienced at an indoor range, though...

I made the mistake of firing my Guide Gun in 375 Ruger there while it had the brake attached. HUGE fireball, the blast wave PIMP SMACKED me in the face, dust rained down from the ceiling, and it made my ears ring through double earpro. Some dude at the other end of the line said "HOLY SHIT!! What the hell was THAT!" Holy shit indeed. One round and done for that session...

S&W 500 Mag and 454 casull are worse then any AR I have heard. I don't know if the actual DB is higher or not, but the blast wave effect is worse in my experiences. Only time I have ever left the range was a guy shooting his 500 handgun. What useless toy of a gun.

MistWolf
06-22-22, 17:29
…Throwing a brake on them does tame the intensified felt recoil, but at the price of damaging ears or mandating the shooter double up ear pro.

That’s what kills me. Shorter barrel equals less velocity. Less velocity equals less free recoil, not more.

But people think shorter rifles kick more because they have more muzzle blast. So they add a brake, which intensifies muzzle blast…?

It’s all in their heads.

WillBrink
06-22-22, 17:34
That’s what kills me. Shorter barrel equals less velocity. Less velocity equals less free recoil, not more.

But people think shorter rifles kick more because they have more muzzle blast. So they add a brake, which intensifies muzzle blast…?

It’s all in their heads.

The pistol I got is very pleasant to shoot recoil wise. The noise and the fire ball are another matter.

kerplode
06-22-22, 18:04
S&W 500 Mag and 454 casull are worse then any AR I have heard. I don't know if the actual DB is higher or not, but the blast wave effect is worse in my experiences. Only time I have ever left the range was a guy shooting his 500 handgun. What useless toy of a gun.

Yeah, agreed...The high-pressure big bore revolvers are very "blasty" for lack of a better term. More so than one would expect. I'm thinking its the 50-60k+ PSI jetting out the cylinder gap that's intensifying the effect. I give those guys a wide berth at the range for sure.

Even though the 500 is mostly useless, I still kinda want one. I want a 50 AE Desert Eagle someday, too, though, so there's also that... :-)

DG23
06-22-22, 18:38
The white box range ammo is a $1 per round!!!

Ammo that the range in question makes you buy from them to be able to shoot on their range?

(was a question not just a statement)

A buck a round for .223 sucks big time. :(

WillBrink
06-22-22, 19:06
Ammo that the range in question makes you buy from them to be able to shoot on their range?

(was a question not just a statement)

A buck a round for .223 sucks big time. :(

They don't force that no, but I refuse to use my supplies, and grabbed a few boxes. Even bulk buying does seem that much less $ these days, maybe 30%? Have not searched a lot lately.

titsonritz
06-22-22, 19:23

Unless you've got a grizzly bear charging your ass. That said, I'm comfortable with my manhood topping out at 44mag.

MistWolf
06-22-22, 19:58
Unless you've got a grizzly bear charging your ass. That said, I'm more comfortable with a short, lever action Marlin in 45-70.

Fixed it for ya

georgeib
06-22-22, 20:26
They don't force that no, but I refuse to use my supplies, and grabbed a few boxes. Even bulk buying does seem that much less $ these days, maybe 30%? Have not searched a lot lately.Check out ammoseek.com. You'll still need to do a little legwork as some of the seller charge exorbitant shipping fees, but you can get new brass 5.56 or 223 for about $500 per case shipped.

DG23
06-22-22, 21:31
They don't force that no, but I refuse to use my supplies, and grabbed a few boxes. Even bulk buying does seem that much less $ these days, maybe 30%? Have not searched a lot lately.

Got it now.

We have a range here that if you want to shoot your 5.56, you can but... They make you buy and use their ammo cause they have a wimpy backstop that is not 'suitable' for full power / speed 5.56 ammo is what they claim. BS in my opinion. They want you buying their low power / over priced reloads so they can enhance their profits. (and reduce potential damage to their backstop)

I refuse to participate in that garbage at that range. Especially when there are other ranges that do not have those sort of rules and restrictions in place.

The indoor range I go to currently - Before they ever got a dollar of mine I made sure we were real clear on the picking up brass stuff. Believe it or not we have some local ranges here that will actually tell you crap like, 'if it falls on the ground - it belongs to us' and not allow you to pick up your own brass. Because they make chump change sweeping it up and selling it as scrap...

Screw that. That brass that came out of MY gun belongs to ME.

I like having choices for indoor ranges here but a guy has to ask questions or he may get hosed.

georgeib
06-23-22, 06:21
Got it now.

We have a range here that if you want to shoot your 5.56, you can but... They make you buy and use their ammo cause they have a wimpy backstop that is not 'suitable' for full power / speed 5.56 ammo is what they claim. BS in my opinion. They want you buying their low power / over priced reloads so they can enhance their profits. (and reduce potential damage to their backstop)

I refuse to participate in that garbage at that range. Especially when there are other ranges that do not have those sort of rules and restrictions in place.

The indoor range I go to currently - Before they ever got a dollar of mine I made sure we were real clear on the picking up brass stuff. Believe it or not we have some local ranges here that will actually tell you crap like, 'if it falls on the ground - it belongs to us' and not allow you to pick up your own brass. Because they make chump change sweeping it up and selling it as scrap...

I like having choices for indoor ranges here but a guy has to ask questions or he may get hosed.

Not to get too far in the weeds, but brass catchers make collecting your brass a breeze. So well worth the thirty bucks.

ETA, the one from Brass Goat is pretty cool and has potential opsec applications: https://brassgoat.com/

Eurodriver
06-23-22, 06:41
Got it now.

Im so glad I don’t have to go to ranges anymore. That’s retarded

WillBrink
06-23-22, 06:46
Check out ammoseek.com. You'll still need to do a little legwork as some of the seller charge exorbitant shipping fees, but you can get new brass 5.56 or 223 for about $500 per case shipped.

Thanx, will do.

Dutch110
06-23-22, 08:51
Im so glad I don’t have to go to ranges anymore. That’s retarded

Right? Thankful we have member clubs where I live. Average is like $35 a year. One of them has brass buckets at the pistol and rifle ranges. If its in the bucket, and you want it, take it. And the nice thing is if you go during the week it's a ghost town. Spent 4 hours at one of the clubs I belong to on Monday dialing in some optics on a few rifles and generally having fun. Just me and a buddy. No one else showed. Almost as good as having enough property to have your own set up.

26 Inf
06-23-22, 10:34
Believe it or not we have some local ranges here that will actually tell you crap like, 'if it falls on the ground - it belongs to us' and not allow you to pick up your own brass. Because they make chump change sweeping it up and selling it as scrap...

Although I'm sure that reselling brass may figure in somewhere, I'm pretty sure the range operators are the ones who get the biggest lawsuit when Joe Bill shoots you in the noggin as you are scrabbling around on the floor to pick up brass. Granted the booth partitions should provide ballistic protection, but there's always that guy.

It aggravates me that my brass on the floor gets left on the floor, but the last thing I want to do is kneel down or bend over placing my head below folk's muzzles. It seems that on most of the indoor ranges that I've shot on a good percentage of my brass is forward of the booth.

On the one I shoot on the most often, if no one else is firing, I ask and they've always allowed me to pick up my brass.

ubet
06-23-22, 12:20

Damn, that is SAVAGE!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ubet
06-23-22, 12:26

They are not useless. Get out into bear country, and that is where they have a place. But I will admit, most that do have them, do not go into bear country.

WillBrink
06-23-22, 13:36
They are not useless. Get out into bear country, and that is where they have a place. But I will admit, most that do have them, do not go into bear country.

A 44mag with proper hard cast loads are not sufficient? I lost count of the people I know who took big bears down with that set up. I believe most guides tend to carry 12g slug guns as a defensive, vs offensive/hunting gun for bears.

The 500 is a bubba gun really, but sure, for the 0.01% owners who will engage a bear, who have decided 44 mag not sufficient and no 12g slug gun etc, handy, will no doubt work. You'd better make the hit on that first shot as a follow up, is unlikely I suspect.

Hammer_Man
06-23-22, 14:59
Lots of folks up in Alaska are ditching their wheel guns for 10mm Glocks.

Disciple
06-23-22, 16:05
Lots of folks up in Alaska are ditching their wheel guns for 10mm Glocks.

There is already a really long thread on that! (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?183058-Loaded-for-Bear-Is-10mm-Sufficient) Just in case anyone feels the need to discuss it further.

DG23
06-23-22, 21:22
On the one I shoot on the most often, if no one else is firing, I ask and they've always allowed me to pick up my brass.

That is pretty much it right there.

Ask questions first so everyone stays safe at all times.