PDA

View Full Version : Civilian finds loaded M4 in unlocked National Guard vehicle.

Harpoon
06-29-22, 07:51
https://www.military.com/daily-news/2022/06/28/civilian-finds-rifle-left-unlocked-vehicle-guardsman-border-mission.html

28 Jun 2022
Military.com | By Steve Beynon
"A National Guardsman on the southern border mission left a loaded M4 rifle in an unlocked vehicle Thursday, which was quickly found by a civilian."

"I think it's irresponsible, reckless and a danger to public safety if that's the way the National Guard is doing things," Marianna Treviño Wright, who found the weapon, told Military.com. "If they cannot secure their weapons, how are they supposed to secure the border?"

ThirdWatcher
06-29-22, 07:59
What was she doing, car-prowling?

GTF425
06-29-22, 08:08
That's the SGM of Karens.

06-29-22, 08:58
Elevate your stupid ****ing feet, pri. No, not on the curb, asshole… on the vehicle. Now make the grass grow.

lowprone
06-29-22, 09:27
Oops !

TomMcC
06-29-22, 13:33
What was she doing, car-prowling?

Looking for loose change.

Harpoon
06-29-22, 14:18
If you reach into a National Guard vehicle and take a weapon, or anything else, isn't that against the law?

06-29-22, 14:29
If you reach into a National Guard vehicle and take a weapon, or anything else, isn't that against the law?

You mean stealing a machinegun from the US gov? Its probably frowned upon. This lady documented the evidence for what a prosecutor could press. Pretty stupid, regardless of how stupid the whole thing is.

markm
06-29-22, 14:31
Hey! My tax dollars paid for that weapun! I'm entitled to use it.

Harpoon
06-29-22, 14:46
You mean stealing a machinegun from the US gov? Its probably frowned upon. This lady documented the evidence for what a prosecutor could press. Pretty stupid, regardless of how stupid the whole thing is.

Ain't it crazy how documenting ones crime has become very popular on social media now days?
You cant fix stupid.

GTF425
06-29-22, 14:52
Elevate your stupid ****ing feet, pri. No, not on the curb, asshole… on the vehicle. Now make the grass grow.

Put a Solo cup in front of his forehead.

"Fill it to the line."

"Now drink your mistake."

Wake27
06-29-22, 17:01
I doubt it’ll happen but would love to see her get charged with lifting an “MG” from the ARNG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wake27
06-29-22, 17:05

Put a Solo cup in front of his forehead.

"Fill it to the line."

"Now drink your mistake."

Bet he wishes he’s that lucky. I won’t be surprised if the guy gets booted and leadership get GOMORs.

Harpoon
06-29-22, 17:05
I wonder if there will be any discipline for the NG person who left the M4 rifle for the civilians?
That's what the Guard is for right. :cool:

SteyrAUG
06-29-22, 17:12
I found the problem.

Treviño Wright said she has constantly battled with the National Guard over trespassing on her property and causing incidents.

Sounds like theft of government property and illegal possession of an unregistered machine gun to me.

She also wants to play "what ifs." What if her stupid ass in the process of handling things she knows NOTHING about managed to discharge the weapon and shoot innocent bystanders?

This is no different from stealing a patrol carbine from an unattended police cruiser while they are handling something. They don't lock shit to chase people on foot, the vehicle was still running.

murphy j
06-29-22, 20:03
Bet he wishes he’s that lucky. I won’t be surprised if the guy gets booted and leadership get GOMORs.

Someone will take the fall, probably the service members who signed for those rifles, and maybe the first line leader, but seriously doubt anyone will get booted. The NG, like the rest of the Army has a serious retention problem and need to keep their numbers on paper up. I'm a currently serving member of the OKARNG, and it took three failed UA's, and close to a year, to get a packet for separation processed for a kid in the platoon I took over. Even with three failed UA's, and fourth while the packet was being processed, when it landed on the desk of the responsible person at state, they still called us asking if we wanted to retain the kid.

murphy j
06-29-22, 20:05
I wonder if there will be any discipline for the NG person who left the M4 rifle for the civilians?
That's what the Guard is for right. :cool:

Some NG units are better disciplined than others at the line level. The NG is a different animal than it once was.

kerplode
06-29-22, 20:09
While I'd love to see that butterfly nutcase catch a charge for theft of government property and possession of an unregistered MG, I suspect that the only person who will face any consequence is the mook that left if unattended. I suppose that'll have to do.

And do yourself a favor...Don't go look at that nutters Twatter feed...I made that mistake and it cost me at least 10 IQ points.

T2C
06-29-22, 20:32
Why would you leave an unsecure weapon in an unlocked vehicle?

Wake27
06-29-22, 21:04
Someone will take the fall, probably the service members who signed for those rifles, and maybe the first line leader, but seriously doubt anyone will get booted. The NG, like the rest of the Army has a serious retention problem and need to keep their numbers on paper up. I'm a currently serving member of the OKARNG, and it took three failed UA's, and close to a year, to get a packet for separation processed for a kid in the platoon I took over. Even with three failed UA's, and fourth while the packet was being processed, when it landed on the desk of the responsible person at state, they still called us asking if we wanted to retain the kid.

Holy shit. We’re kicking people left and right.

murphy j
06-29-22, 21:30
Holy shit. We’re kicking people left and right.

We have a number within our company, and across the state that will not be allowed to return after tomorrow due to the deadline for accepting a jab of questionable safety and efficacy. We also have a battalion from Nebraska now wearing our unit patch, and falling under our brigades headquarters due to that states low numbers. I know as a state, our numbers have been strained so badly in recent memory, that we've been on the chopping block a couple times. If I retired tomorrow, I would still be carried on the books for a least a year to keep our numbers up.

ThirdWatcher
06-29-22, 21:35

Normally you wouldn’t. If I saw it, I would have locked the doors and called it good. I damn sure wouldn’t call the media.

I lock my doors (home and vehicles) but as my Dad taught me, all a lock does is keep an honest man honest.

SteyrAUG
06-29-22, 21:49

Karen's that need to be prosecuted aside, the NG member who left the rifle in a running vehicle at a known problematic location probably does need a sit down and a "what the F were you thinking" pop quiz.

SteyrAUG
06-29-22, 21:53

I can think of a few valid reasons, but doesn't sound like any of them were actually happening. I've walked through unsecured scenes with dozens of unattended vehicles all still running many with the doors still wide open. I could have drove off with any one of them, I'm sure I could have popped trunks and had access to patrol carbines and other cool goodies.

At the time all of the LEOs were 20 yards away working on trying to keep people alive.

Twilk73
06-29-22, 22:46
She thought that was one of the free left behind Biden m4’s.

ThirdWatcher
06-29-22, 23:11
Karen's that need to be prosecuted aside, the NG member who left the rifle in a running vehicle at a known problematic location probably does need a sit down and a "what the F were you thinking" pop quiz.

Exactly right. My guess is it’s a mistake of the head, not a mistake of the heart. Counseling followed by documentation and if it’s an isolated incident shred the doc sheet after a year (at least that’s how I would have handled it in LE).

SteyrAUG
06-30-22, 00:11
Exactly right. My guess is it’s a mistake of the head, not a mistake of the heart. Counseling followed by documentation and if it’s an isolated incident shred the doc sheet after a year (at least that’s how I would have handled it in LE).

Sounds reasonable. Hopefully it plays something close to that.

utahjeepr
06-30-22, 18:01
As a 1stSgt once said, "It's less about shitting your shorts and more about how far up the flagpole those dirty shorts got flown."

1_click_off
06-30-22, 19:45
As a 1stSgt once said, "It's less about shitting your shorts and more about how far up the flagpole those dirty shorts got flown."

That right there is sig line material if I ever saw it.

T2C
06-30-22, 21:23

That's a solid way to handle the issue. Unless the soldier was a chronic foul up, there is no reason to go any further.

During operational briefings, I would caution personnel working in the area that some of the locals have a hard on for them and they need to keep their shit strack.

motor51
07-01-22, 00:34
She obviously doesn’t like the NG performing their mission at the border. Her use of the term “idiots” to describe them gives it away. She used it as an attempt to sling mud because she acts like an entitled spoiled brat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ThirdWatcher
07-01-22, 02:22
That's a solid way to handle the issue. Unless the soldier was a chronic foul up, there is no reason to go any further.

During operational briefings, I would caution personnel working in the area that some of the locals have a hard on for them and they need to keep their shit strack.

Gotta agree with you. I was fortunate in LE, can’t remember any of my guys making the same mistake twice.

Gabriel556
07-01-22, 07:57
She obviously doesn’t like the NG performing their mission at the border. Her use of the term “idiots” to describe them gives it away. She used it as an attempt to sling mud because she acts like an entitled spoiled brat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

As such, my opinion is that this needs a two pronged approach. Cover the sticky finger locals in ops briefs, retrain and monitoring of offending guardsman internally, arrest and charge sticky finger for entering a government vehicle and removing an M4 (trespassing), theft of and possession of a prohibited weapon.

ThirdWatcher
07-01-22, 08:42
As such, my opinion is that this needs a two pronged approach. Cover the sticky finger locals in ops briefs, retrain and monitoring of offending guardsman internally, arrest and charge sticky finger for entering a government vehicle and removing an M4 (trespassing), theft of and possession of a prohibited weapon.

I agree, although I doubt they’ll do anything to the thief.

murphy j
07-03-22, 09:21

The last time I found a weapon from my platoon not secured, I twisted off so badly one of my squad leaders pulled me aside because he was concerned I might stroke out. It would be a painful lesson in individual responsibility on how to secure ones equipment for the service member in question. Not hazing mind you, but "corrective training"