PDA

View Full Version : The Terminal List

zombiescometh
06-30-22, 23:59
Terminal list Amazon prime

I know that I will always enjoy a book more then the movie/tv show, but the amount of things they have changed, added and moved around in just the first episode has me not wanting to continue.

Definitely have to take a break and try and forget about the book and hopefully try episode 2 tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JediGuy
07-01-22, 14:48
I’m just finishing In The Blood and generally have enjoyed all the books. I also like Christ Pratt.

Carr seems to have kept himself engaged in the production process, so I don’t mind variations from the book if it makes a smoother visual story. Not sure my wife is excited about it, so I may end up watching it all myself over the long weekend.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
07-01-22, 18:33
I'm a huge fan of the book series, and have even had the chance to speak with Jack on a few occasions. I am still trying to finish The Devil's Hand.

With that said, I was disappointed with the first episode and the direction that they took some of the events. I am going to try to keep an open mind though.

zombiescometh
07-01-22, 18:37
Episode three was slightly better, just pretending the book doesn’t exist.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-01-22, 18:38
Prime shat all over Tom Clancy with their reboot. I haven’t read the Carr books, so as long as the storyline doesn’t go ‘full alphabet rainbow’, I’ll be good…

JediGuy
07-01-22, 19:48
Syria instead of Afghanistan... eh, that’s OK.

BCM rifle instead of a Colt or DD... eh, whatever, maybe.

Vortex instead of Eotech? Nope. Lol. I told my wife, that wouldn’t happen.

ggammell
07-01-22, 20:04
None of these guys have Navy SEAL hair. WTF! Total loss of credibility.

Inkslinger
07-01-22, 20:20

I thought that odd as well. Jack is so specific about gear in the books.

ggammell
07-01-22, 21:37
Terminal list Amazon prime

I know that I will always enjoy a book more then the movie/tv show, but the amount of things they have changed, added and moved around in just the first episode has me not wanting to continue.

Definitely have to take a break and try and forget about the book and hopefully try episode 2 tomorrow.

Give it a chance. Episode 2 gets its back on track.

BuzzinSATX
07-01-22, 23:15
I watched 4 episodes and reread the book just to watch the shows. Mistake!

Some frustrating things…but as I got to episode 3 I started accepting it would have been twice the episodes just to get backstories right, so opened another beer and pressed on.

Getting over Chinese virus so basically stuck in the house this weekend. Guess we’ll see how it goes…

LowSpeed_HighDrag
07-02-22, 07:44
Give it a chance. Episode 2 gets its back on track.

I agree with this, I just watched two last night and it was much closer to some key plot points, which made it easier to enjoy.

JediGuy
07-02-22, 14:42
I made it about halfway into the second episode before wiping out.

The one thing I expected but dreaded their changing is the method of death of the mother and child.

I really hope all the bad guys don’t get sanitized from the book.

Whalstib
07-02-22, 20:15
The book was good but just a revenge hit piece that introduced characters (and eliminated some!)

Hopefully JC adds more elements now that the series has expanded.

I didn't know it was on prime yet...I had just cancelled amazon.....dang it....

JediGuy
07-02-22, 23:03
Kinda drags.

There’s cool parts and “make it stop” parts. The mountains chase just took forever. Not an altogether bad plot element, it works in a different version of an important plot point to keep Reece the good guy.

The EFP thing though. Meh. Worked way better not the book with the husband of the villainess tie-in. (If I remember it right)

Edit:

I don’t want to ruin the series for those watching it, but I’ll say that the book ended better. The series isn’t bad, just not as good. Also, I t’s like they didn’t want a “damsel in distress” situation at any point.

At this point, I really want to know if they’ll keep the Rhodesian storyline.

yoni
07-03-22, 20:38
I am on Episode 3, it is ok so far.

Don't like some of the casting change in characters. But such is life.

Without a spoiler, I loved the cameo appearance by someone.

JediGuy
07-04-22, 12:33
Without a spoiler, I loved the cameo appearance by someone.

That was cool.

chuckman
07-04-22, 13:56
My best friend from the Navy was a SEAL; he's retired now, and one of only a handful I can stand being around (when we were corpsmen together he went NSW, I went SARC). I was texting all the 'inside' trivia about the westie SEALs, which was cool. Apparently Carr is quite the SEALophile/groupie.

I just started episode 5. I have not read the books, but I have enjoyed the series. Clever writing, not knowing what is in his head, what is real, and what is conspiracy, unfolding as the story goes along.

Hank6046
07-04-22, 14:02

I wonder if Vortex helped sponsor the show, there is a Vortex sticker featured prominently shown on the gun safe

yoni
07-04-22, 18:05
I really can't stand the way they made the character Katie.

Too timid.

gunnerblue
07-04-22, 18:15
My best friend from the Navy was a SEAL; he's retired now, and one of only a handful I can stand being around (when we were corpsmen together he went NSW, I went SARC). I was texting all the 'inside' trivia about the westie SEALs, which was cool. Apparently Carr is quite the SEALophile/groupie.

I just started episode 5. I have not read the books, but I have enjoyed the series. Clever writing, not knowing what is in his head, what is real, and what is conspiracy, unfolding as the story goes along.

Jack Carr is a former SEAL himself.

I had to look up SARC as I've never heard of that one before, very interesting.

OutofBatt3ry
07-04-22, 20:41
I was sure it was going to suck. I watched it all in one sitting. Good times.

chuckman
07-04-22, 20:56
Jack Carr is a former SEAL himself.

I had to look up SARC as I've never heard of that one before, very interesting.

Explains the little inside glimpses of NSW.

Recon: twice the action with a quarter of the publicity lol. SARCs get even less attention, which is fine.

FWIW, SARCs are no longer, all recon and MARSOC corpsmen are now SOIDCs (special operations independent duty corpsmen).

Re: Carr, goes to show, write what you know.

SeriousStudent
07-04-22, 21:05

A very large tip of the Stetson to you, good sir. As a recovering crayon-eater, I hold SARC's in very high regard. Thank you.

Adrenaline_6
07-05-22, 09:28
Watched it. Enjoyed it. Not too many real complaints. The battle odds were a little hard to swallow at times, but hey, it's a movie.

The $200,000+ Revzani urban tank vehicles were pretty damn cool.

chuckman
07-05-22, 11:19
A very large tip of the Stetson to you, good sir. As a recovering crayon-eater, I hold SARC's in very high regard. Thank you.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I did it for two reasons: it was either try out for that or go to FSSG, and I got paid to go diving. Seriously, it was a very cool gig. I loved my Marines (but that was true in all of my billets, and I did the Trifecta of FSSG, combat arms, and air wing).

pag23
07-05-22, 19:04
I binged it last weekend as it is good enough to do so I don't mind some of the changes.

The BCM display was interesting....but understandable if he used his own rifle vs one from his work gear...

Hank6046
07-06-22, 07:51
It was decent, I also didn't mind some changes but the ending wasn't intense as the book was, honestly I liked the part where Jack Carr got off'd by his own character

platoonDaddy
07-07-22, 05:42
TV crticics have slammed Chris Pratt's new 'anti-woke' action series The Terminal List - but the fast-paced thriller has gone down a treat with viewers.

Only 37% of critics have given The Terminal List a positive review, according to Rotten Tomatoes, but a massive 93% of viewers approve of the show, with most giving it a five-star rating.

chuckman
07-07-22, 08:08
Just finished it. Left sad and a bit bothered, both because of the pain he was in from his family, but also the twist with his BFF in the closing minutes. I hope there is a season 2.

rushca01
07-07-22, 10:29
Just finished it. Left sad and a bit bothered, both because of the pain he was in from his family, but also the twist with his BFF in the closing minutes. I hope there is a season 2.

Same twist was in the book just done a bit differently. The show partially redeemed Ben (yes he approved the killing of the SEALs, when the family was taken out he did everything he could to help Reece paint his masterpiece) where the book really didn’t. The continuation is there in the books, Reece sails to Africa and works as a guide for several months with the family of a former SEAL buddy and it gets nasty again :)

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-07-22, 12:34
WTF, a shotgun? Why? At least get some good splatter out of it.

rushca01
07-07-22, 14:17
WTF, a shotgun? Why? At least get some good splatter out of it.

Yeah, I didn’t understand that choice either.

dpb1776
07-07-22, 19:04
I finished it over the course of three days having never read the books. I really enjoyed it so now gonna take a run at the books. Gonna start The Old Man tonight heard that was good.

yoni
07-07-22, 19:22
I finished it tonight.

It was very well done and it was one of the few times the movie or mini series didn't suck compared to the book.

nick84
07-07-22, 22:14
I admit I found the books to be a bit of a guilty pleasure. I can certainly enjoy a protagonist that speaks to me, but the suspension of disbelief was bigger than normal. The gear descriptions bordering on sponsorship kind of made me chuckle too, but where they made sense they were good.

That said, I did buzz through the whole series in some airports earlier this year and did enjoy it.

Kinda disappointed with the changes made in the series, but doing even the whole book 1 could’ve stretched to 15 episodes, so I’m not surprised they worked it into something more manageable.

I may watch it again without the whiskey next time.

platoonDaddy
07-11-22, 13:11
Just finished the 5th book, certainly left me hanging, hopefully there is a 6th book. Loving Alice…

JediGuy
07-11-22, 17:23
…Loving Alice…

Man, that’s really the only part that I didn’t like.

platoonDaddy
07-11-22, 20:22
Man, that’s really the only part that I didn’t like.

I believe the Utah Data Center has the 2nd generation of Alice.. of course just my personal opinion

TBAR_94
07-11-22, 21:17
I enjoyed the book, watched the show over the last week to give a chance, but was honestly kind of "meh." I didn't really like how the director set everything up to be so shadowy--even the daylight scenes seem dark. Also the flashback device didn't really work for me, at least not in the context they set it up. I thought it was stuck halfway between a fun, shoot 'em up action show and a drama.

I travel a fair amount, Jack Carr and Brad Thor books are my go to options for light reading on the plane to keep me entertained and not have my nose stuck in a screen for hours. Overall I'm glad he got the series, from everything I can tell from his podcasts and other work Carr does a good job of making a post-military career without being a completely cringe vet-bro.

hotbiggun42
07-11-22, 21:49
It’s just not that entertaining. Watched 11/2 episodes and lost interest. Too bad it looked promising

titsonritz
07-12-22, 15:11
TV crticics have slammed Chris Pratt's new 'anti-woke' action series The Terminal List - but the fast-paced thriller has gone down a treat with viewers.

Only 37% of critics have given The Terminal List a positive review, according to Rotten Tomatoes, but a massive 93% of viewers approve of the show, with most giving it a five-star rating.

'unhinged right-wing revenge fantasy' is the phrase they are using, makes me want to check it out now...
:lol: :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-xq5YtPE8I

nick84
07-13-22, 08:30
Buzzfeed is disappointed, huh? Surprising.

Perhaps someone will make a TV series out of the book series about the trans-abled, nonbinary, polysexual Muslim furry who zaps people with a pronoun gun. Oh....wait.

Five_Point_Five_Six
07-14-22, 12:41
I'm not surprised the left hates it. There were no confused gender identities, no child grooming, and lots of gun play.

TMS951
07-14-22, 21:09

The product descriptions in the books almost read like paid advertising, idk if it actually was or not. I found it off putting.

I can only imagine as paid product placement in movies and television is the norm that that is exactly what is going on here.

JediGuy
07-15-22, 06:13
The product descriptions in the books almost read like paid advertising, idk if it actually was or not. I found it off putting.

I can only imagine as paid product placement in movies and television is the norm that that is exactly what is going on here.

I don’t know that the books were paid, or if some were and others weren’t. I may be confusing with another author, but Carr may have addressed. Overall, I think he likes to give shoutouts to companies he likes and friends. There’s no way Half Face Blades hasn’t hugely benefited from his bringing awareness. But Toyota isn’t getting anything extra, and they certainly aren’t going to pay anything for it.

rushca01
07-15-22, 06:15

I don’t think it was, Jack is just a huge gear guy and he talks about that in his podcasts etc.

Five_Point_Five_Six
07-15-22, 10:41

I've read all 5 and I agree that the product placement is a bit overdone. I don't know if he's getting kickbacks for it or if he is just promoting the businesses of friends and colleagues but it seems like it could be toned down a bit without losing any of the detail.

"and then Reece pulled out his $350 Dynamis Combat Flathead screw driver to stir his cup of Face Shooter Brew from Black Rifle Coffee Company while he cleaned his EDC Sig P365 as he looked at his Winkler Tomahawk hanging on the wall behind his Icon 4X4 enhanced Landcruiser"

I don't know who's paying $350 for a flathead screwdriver, but I thought it was a made up thing until I googled it. It's probably more of a you scratch my back I'll scratch yours arrangement than actual paid product spotlights. BRCC promotes his books, he promotes their coffee. He sells more books, they sell more coffee.

I think Brad Thor has found a good way to be descriptive of the gear without overdoing it. He's mentioned LaRue Tactical in his earlier books and thanked Mark LaRue and his wife in the acknowledgement section. I was happy as the books progressed and Thor stopped calling magazines clips.

rushca01
07-15-22, 11:37
I've read all 5 and I agree that the product placement is a bit overdone. I don't know if he's getting kickbacks for it or if he is just promoting the businesses of friends and colleagues but it seems like it could be toned down a bit without losing any of the detail.

"and then Reece pulled out his $350 Dynamis Combat Flathead screw driver to stir his cup of Face Shooter Brew from Black Rifle Coffee Company while he cleaned his EDC Sig P365 as he looked at his Winkler Tomahawk hanging on the wall behind his Icon 4X4 enhanced Landcruiser"

I don't know who's paying $350 for a flathead screwdriver, but I thought it was a made up thing until I googled it. It's probably more of a you scratch my back I'll scratch yours arrangement than actual paid product spotlights. BRCC promotes his books, he promotes their coffee. He sells more books, they sell more coffee.

I think Brad Thor has found a good way to be descriptive of the gear without overdoing it. He's mentioned LaRue Tactical in his earlier books and thanked Mark LaRue and his wife in the acknowledgement section. I was happy as the books progressed and Thor stopped calling magazines clips.

He talks about this in his podcasts. A) he is a huge gear whore B) Sure, some is to promote his friends businesses (BRCC, Nock On, Sitka, Dynamis etc) C) Partly a call back to other action authors who made the gear their character wore famous like Bond and his Rolex or Dirk Pitt and his Doxa Dive watch.

titsonritz
07-16-22, 00:55
Jack Carr on Will Cain Podcast (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcuA-y15F8A)

chuckman
07-16-22, 10:57
Jack Carr has a YT channel and has a podcast/YT vid on every episode. I dig it.

SteyrAUG
07-16-22, 17:40
Never read the book, so far enjoying the show.

SteyrAUG
07-17-22, 01:21
I'm not surprised the left hates it. There were no confused gender identities, no child grooming, and lots of gun play.

Makes me like it that much more.

Glad I didn't read the books, I made that mistake with Clancy novels and films that bastardized them.

I now make it a point to see the film, then if I really like it, read the book. Did that with Black Hawk Down and the back story filled in a lot of detail. Same with Band of Brothers and several other great films and books.

But with books I don't have a lot of time for fiction.

Sam
09-18-22, 22:41
Never read the book. We really enjoyed the series.

Going to check out the next book.

Aries144
09-19-22, 01:50
Spoilers below.

Never read the books. The show seemed good until episode 5. It got silly from there to the ending. Surviving a car chase with the FBI and escaping on foot without being ventilated or captured? Too absurd to deliver suspense. I hated how they portrayed the SecDef lady as genuinely compassionate but misguided instead of narcissistic and Machiavellian. Completely unrealistic. You don't see people motivated by compassion in high level positions that require years of harsh competition to arrive at.

There were too many implausible and unnecessary situations with the main character after a certain point.

JediGuy
09-19-22, 08:05
Spoilers below.

Never read the books. The show seemed good until episode 5. It got silly from there to the ending. Surviving a car chase with the FBI and escaping on foot without being ventilated or captured? Too absurd to deliver suspense. I hated how they portrayed the SecDef lady as genuinely compassionate but misguided instead of narcissistic and Machiavellian. Completely unrealistic. You don't see people motivated by compassion in high level positions that require years of harsh competition to arrive at.

There were too many implausible and unnecessary situations with the main character after a certain point.

That was the change that bothered me the most: the Hillary-esque character being “redeemed.” It took away from the point of the book completely (worthless people in power).

Sam
09-19-22, 12:17
It's fiction and about as realistic as any James Bonds or Star War movies, it didn't keep me from enjoying it.

arptsprt
09-19-22, 14:04
I’m my opinion, if one read the book(s) first then watched the series, it sucked. I realize that is common - book vs tv/movies. I think it was absolutely horrible compared to the story in the book.

chuckman
09-19-22, 16:07
I’m my opinion, if one read the book(s) first then watched the series, it sucked. I realize that is common - book vs tv/movies. I think it was absolutely horrible compared to the story in the book.

I liked them both, for different reasons. The series was good as a standalone, as was the book. I enjoyed them both.

yoni
09-19-22, 17:32
Bottom line a book will always tell a more descriptive story than a movie ever could. Book might take you a week or more to read, movie 2 hours or less. Even a mini series is time limited.

Waylander
09-19-22, 18:57
People will always crap on things they feel are inferior. This thread being no exception. I didn’t expect the show to win any Oscars but did expect to be entertained. I was correct in my assumptions.

AKDoug
09-20-22, 22:28
Mike Rowe has Jack Carr (the author) on episode 261 of The Way I Heard It podcast. It’s worth a listen.

ubet
09-20-22, 23:19
Prime shat all over Tom Clancy with their reboot. I haven’t read the Carr books, so as long as the storyline doesn’t go ‘full alphabet rainbow’, I’ll be good…

I have listened to all of the Clancy books until the third one after he died. They were ALL good. Without Remorse, the one they tried to re make into that atrocity that is on prime, the job they did on that series should be criminal. Everyone involved in that decision making process that led to that, or anyone who allowed themselves to be cast in that should be thrown into solitary for the rest of their miserable wretched lives. It was so far off base it was not even funny. It was disgusting. Clancy was an amazing author and they just shit all over it with that trash.

I watched Terminal List, it was ok. Did not know their were books of them, I will listen to them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Aries144
09-20-22, 23:49
I really enjoyed the first four episodes and then the show let me down hard and never recovered. I wish they could have kept up what they had in the first four episodes.

chuckman
09-21-22, 07:54
Mike Rowe has Jack Carr (the author) on episode 261 of The Way I Heard It podcast. It’s worth a listen.

Jack Carr has his own podcast and YT series where he discusses each episode, why they did what they did, changed what they changed, etc.

chuckman
09-21-22, 11:52
Jack Carr and Chris Pratt, talking specifically about The Terminal List starts about 50 minutes into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1xcDFZ1Dgo

AKDoug
09-21-22, 18:13
Jack Carr has his own podcast and YT series where he discusses each episode, why they did what they did, changed what they changed, etc.

Cool, I'll check it out.

hotbiggun42
09-21-22, 21:56
It’s just not that entertaining. Watched 11/2 episodes and lost interest. Too bad it looked promising

Edit. I watched it again and paid closer attention. I was entertained

SteyrAUG
09-21-22, 22:23
Edit. I watched it again and paid closer attention. I was entertained

Good for you for giving it a second chance. Of all the utter BS on Amazon this was a welcome relief. I hope they renew for a second season, I'm sure it won't be as good as the first, but I'll probably still watch it. Half the time I'm in front of the tv I'm watching a DVD / Blu so it's kind of nice to see new stuff that doesn't irritate the crap out of me.

And even with the errors in gear and tactics, it's still a hundred times more plausible than most Hollywood productions. Also a bunch of kids are gonna see this show and want to be a SEAL when they grow up and some of them might even make it.

Coal Dragger
09-22-22, 10:43
Spoilers below.

Escaping from the FBI and not getting shot?

Pretty believable. We all the know the FBI only persecutes regular folks who complain to school boards, or have the wrong political views these days. They tend to not be as resistant as violent felons, so it’s plausible the FBI HRT team would be getting no training budget and all the pipe hitters would be replaced by LGBTQ+\-& diversity hires.

Just saying.

Sam
09-22-22, 15:16
Escaping from the FBI and not getting shot?

He was shot in the arm/shoulder area.

Think ... James Bond ... Until NTTD, Bond was never shot, beat up and tortured? yes, but not shot.