PDA

View Full Version : Paypal $0 Prenote fraud?

markm
07-01-22, 11:26
I saw a $0 prenote transaction on my checking account from Paypal yesterday. I guess it's common for scammers to raid your account on holiday weekends since the banks are closed for the holiday and you're screwed.

Has anyone ever seen this or had this happen? I called my credit union, but they can't do anything until something hits the account. WTF? Is this 1985? It blows my mind that the bank will take a hit, and doesn't have the ability to control this activity. They told me to call Paypal.

flenna
07-01-22, 15:36
I had the same thing happen and the bank told me it was PayPal verifying that the account was still active. It dropped off after a couple of days.

markm
07-01-22, 16:22
I had the same thing happen and the bank told me it was PayPal verifying that the account was still active. It dropped off after a couple of days.

That's good. The bank messaged me that paypal may do that if I've ever linked the account. Thanks.

Voodoochild
07-01-22, 22:17
Normally what the thieves do is do a $1 charge to the account to make sure it's still active. If the transaction goes through then they know they have a live account and go full raid mode on it until it gets caught and shutdown.

georgeib
07-02-22, 04:28
FWIW, when PayPal verified my account, they made 2 small deposits of under $1 and then had me enter the amounts to verify.

markm
07-02-22, 06:42
FWIW, when PayPal verified my account, they made 2 small deposits of under $1 and then had me enter the amounts to verify.

Yeah. They did that at initial set up. But I haven't used the account in a long time. So I was spooked because the holiday weekends are when the can go to town on your accounts.

georgeib
07-02-22, 06:51
Yeah. They did that at initial set up. But I haven't used the account in a long time. So I was spooked because the holiday weekends are when the can go to town on your accounts.Why don't you go ahead and change your password, just to be sure.

Five_Point_Five_Six
07-02-22, 22:17
I only use my credit card online for this reason. If they get my credit card, it's Visa's money and their problem. If they get my bank card, it's my money.