PDA

View Full Version : Handgun Safe

jpipes
12-20-08, 19:05
Does anyone have any data on handgun safes? I've searched to no avail. I'm looking for something that's very accessible, but difficult (read:impossible) for a toddler to get in to. As my son grows, I'm quite leery to leave a pistol by the nightstand while we sleep.

Best,
Josh

DM-SC
12-20-08, 19:48
Check out Gun Vault

http://www.gunvault.com/

shadowalker
12-20-08, 20:05
We have a 14 year old and a 14 month old and we have GunVaults, one on each side of the bed. The GunVault Mini is fairly affordable and still nice.

The door is spring loaded so be careful about getting fingers between the door and floor when opening :).

The finger groves are very nice and make it easy to open (if you know the button press sequence).

You'll want to practice opening it from different positions.

SubSolar
12-21-08, 01:41
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8i3zVGQFKo

Doesn't look too kid-safe to me...

shadowalker
12-21-08, 08:20
As with most things you have to take things on the Youtube with a grain of salt. I've also seen cell phones phones pop pop corn on there and various other things.

There are manufacturing problems with every product now and then, from what I've heard they replaced affected units.

It is never a bad idea to test an individual unit, I did and neither of ours opened in this way. I have no doubt a determined attacker could open it with prying but I also have no doubt of it's ability to keep kids and the casual person out of it for the amount of time I need it to.

So far it is one of the best options I've found to maintain availability and provide nearly immediate access to me while denying immediate access to others like kids in the house.

It also is not fireproof and a thief could just take the whole thing (you can bolt it to the floor or use a security cable but probably only marginal security increase).

Basically it keeps honest people honest.

AwaySooner
12-21-08, 14:27
If you read the comment, the April 2008 manufactured one might have defect. Mine does not do that, it works great in my car. Thanks for the youtube, now my knuckles hurt. :(

At home I use a Biovault Biometric next to my bed. It takes 50 fingerprint, you can scan the same finger multiple times to increase accuracy, but it usually take me 2-3 times to swipe my finger. The downside is, there's no key to open it, and the Biovault had to be reset using manufacturing procedure once because the software. Now I just open it before going to bed, and close it when I wake up. I don't trust that thing top open in time if my life depends on it.

jjc155
12-22-08, 19:41
Check out Gun Vault

http://www.gunvault.com/

thats what I have and works well. I have the small and only keep one gun in it for quick access. you can get in in the dark and its easy to use.

J-

ps I checked mine and it does not open like the utube vid.

SubSolar
12-22-08, 21:36
I personally have all my safes with an electronic numerical keypad. That way I can set all the safes to the same code and not get confused in an emergency situation. All my handgun and long gun safes have the same numerical code.