PDA

View Full Version : Notching Headspace Gage

Gatguns08
12-20-08, 20:05
Guys: I am trying to locate the thread where someone said it would be ok to notch a headspace gage so the ejector pin would not have to be removed during the check. I am going to check a DPMS 5.56 M4 ( new) for "GO" with a Brownells 5.56 gage to ensure that I can safely fire 5.56 Mil ammo. ( barrel is marked 5.56)

I know all the discussions on the "bad" DPMS's, but this is a plinker, not subject to heavy use unless we get to SHTF. I still have a .38 Sp.M & P S & W, Springfield .45 M1911 & a Bersa 9 MM, oh & a .30 ca. M1 carbine ,along with a couple of 16 Ga. Browning autos as just-in-case guns.
..............Thanks, "G"

g5m
12-20-08, 23:48
I don't know which thread you are talking about but many GI headspace gauges (at least the 30 cal. and maybe all GI gauges) have a groove or notch through the base to allow the ejector to be in place while headspace is checked. The GI 30-06 and 7.62 gauges I've seen/used are that way and are very convenient.
I've considered doing it to other gauges but it will take quite a while to grind an appropriate notch, I imagine, and I just haven't gotten around to doing it.

Iraqgunz
12-21-08, 05:04
Your weapon should always be ready for the SHTF. You cannot predict when it will happen. Plinking should be a secondary concern or reason. Read around here about DPMS barrels and chambers and you can see for yourself. The main issue is the chamber. If you are really concerned get a correct barrel or buy a chamber reamer from Ned Christiansen.

The headspace gage that I recommend aside from the actual MIL issue gage is the headspace gage, 5.56 Field that is sold by Bushmaster. You should not have to remove the ejector to do a headspace check. Simply remove the extractor assembly, reassemble the BCG, insert gage and conduct your check. I do this several times a month this same way.

Guys: I am trying to locate the thread where someone said it would be ok to notch a headspace gage so the ejector pin would not have to be removed during the check. I am going to check a DPMS 5.56 M4 ( new) for "GO" with a Brownells 5.56 gage to ensure that I can safely fire 5.56 Mil ammo. ( barrel is marked 5.56)

I know all the discussions on the "bad" DPMS's, but this is a plinker, not subject to heavy use unless we get to SHTF. I still have a .38 Sp.M & P S & W, Springfield .45 M1911 & a Bersa 9 MM, oh & a .30 ca. M1 carbine ,along with a couple of 16 Ga. Browning autos as just-in-case guns.
..............Thanks, "G"

Gatguns08
12-22-08, 12:13
Thanks for the replies...my Clymer 5.56 NATO GO gauge from
Brownells is under the Christmas tree. Gift from the wife. will let you all know the results after Christmas........"G"

LukeMacGillie
12-24-08, 12:55
With certain parts of DoD no longer calibrating gauges, the GI gage is getting rarer and rarer. Its cheaper to buy an off the shelf gage without the ejector cut out every year than to ship out, return, calibrate and send out again every year.

That being said, removing the ejector is not exactly rocket science, and as long as you have a dummy round and man hands you dont even need a high speed tool to take them out and put them in.