PDA

View Full Version : What mount and weapons light for my FN M4 Military collectors carbine?

Johnny Appleseed
07-08-22, 12:02
I recently pick up an unfired FN M4 military collector carbine for a good price.
It was missing the K.A.RAS panels along with the vertical handle.
I found the three 11-line Knights Armament panels for the sides and top.
I picked up the vertical handle with a 6-line panel for the bottom.
Now if I find a surefire flashlight with picatinny rail mount, should I replace a 11 line rail
with a shorter one? Or should I look for a mount that fits in the triangular front sight?
I'm fairly new to these so opinions will help immensely.
I'm looking for G.I. quality.
Thank you, gentleman,

Twilk73
07-08-22, 12:10
With my mod light plh I can identify targets at 200 yards on a Misty night. I could make out the target at 300 but I couldn’t identify it if it was a person.

markm
07-08-22, 12:50
I run a my light mount on the top rail with no panel. Sides get panels that fit areas left open after attachments. I'll just cut town an 11 rib if needed.

Here's a few of my set ups:

https://i.imgur.com/TTY62ya.jpg

kirkland
07-08-22, 16:43
If you really want to be authentic go with 100mph tape and a handheld surefire incandescent

Johnny Appleseed
07-08-22, 18:50
Thanks for the suggestion's gentleman! I think cutting a panel on the top rail is the way to go! Or pick up a smaller rail.
I recently added my first red dot Sig Romeo 5. I watched the torture test on You Tube. Wow could that thing take a beating!
I sighted it in in about 10 shots. I'm enjoying this little carbine!
I think a Surefire is the way to go for this carbine.

grizzman
07-08-22, 19:04
Are you trying to make a clone, or are you looking for a recommendation based on actual performance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ABNAK
07-08-22, 19:41
Duct tape a chemlight to the handguard? Just kidding.

I don't have any lights mounted on my AR's but if I did they would definitely be attached to the railed handguard, not one of those cheesey front sight base mounts.

Johnny Appleseed
07-08-22, 19:53
I guess I'm trying to do a clone.
Do GI M4A1 have weapon lights mounted to the carbine?
Still learning guys.

MegademiC
07-08-22, 20:11
I guess I'm trying to do a clone.
Do GI M4A1 have weapon lights mounted to the carbine?
Still learning guys.

You guess? Do you want to replicate a rifle for looks or do you have a task to accomplish?

Uncas47
07-08-22, 21:15
Nice guns! What mount are those 6Ps in?
This was meant for Markm
Never mind, I recognize them now.

steelcore
07-09-22, 08:51
There are alot of option’s and personal preference. It is important to know what the intent for it’s use will be as has been stated previously, to make sure you are given sound advice. I run Surefire scout pro dual fuel’s on all my long gun’s because that’s what I like. There are other option’s available that may be a better choice.
I had considered purchasing a couple Rein 2.0 but it’s cost was a little bit more than I wanted to get into. Some people are not impressed with surefire based on performance and cost compared to what else is available on the market, so do your research, then make the decision that best work’s for you.

Anatoly Lebed
07-09-22, 12:33
I have an HSP Thorntail offset light mount, mounted on the left side on my M4 RAS. It lets me use my left thumb to operate the light. I’ m using an Inforce WML light

anhttps://haleystrategic.com/shop/hard-goods/thorntail2-picatinny-offset-light-mount

https://inforce-mil.com/collections/rifle-lights

Johnny Appleseed
07-09-22, 20:45
No particular task. Just something pretty close to G.I.
It doesn't have to be spot on. After all the military doesn't use Sig Romeo 5.
didn't the feds use the Sig Romeo 4m for a few years?
Just enjoying breaking in the FN in as of recently!

grizzman
07-09-22, 21:48
A Surefire M600U would be close to the ideal general purpose close range light that would have been in general usage on M4s.

It looks like a common price for one, with offset thumbscrew Picatinny mount and Z68 clicky tailcap is $325. I'm somewhat surprised to report that a Malkoff E2T illuminated a tree pretty well at 100 yards, The M600U has basically identical Candela, and significantly more spill due to it's more than double lumen output.

You can always go old school with an incandescent Surefire M951. I checked earlier, and the improved LU60s that allowed for Malkoff LED assemblies to be installed have been discontinued by both manufacturers.

Johnny Appleseed
07-10-22, 18:28
Not looking for an exact military copy, but the closer the better!
I'm really just enjoying shooting my new carbine!
Greatly apricate your expertise gentleman!

Pappabear
07-10-22, 22:21
Not looking for an exact military copy, but the closer the better!
I'm really just enjoying shooting my new carbine!
Greatly apricate your expertise gentleman!

Mi amigo you have to be a little careful. I dont give a fck about replicas, but if you go down that road its either 100% or its not a replica. I love the Romeo from Sig but dont mention that to a CLONE guy or they will lose their minds. So just stay on track with anything close is good enough.

I have a friend that does the clone game, its insane and worse for HK and other Mil replicas.

Your rifle is great and good luck with it. I want that gun as well, seems very cool.

PB

AndyLate
07-11-22, 06:37
I get you, Johnny. I have what I call a lazy M4. 14.5" chrome lined barrel, quad rail, Aimpoint RDS, A2 grip, KAC panels, KAC broomhandle front grip, MaTech rear sight, Vickers sling, and waffle stock.

A cloner would scorn it - its an LMT SPM14 with a Troy drop in rail, LMT stock (they are mil pattern but different), AP PRO, and a P/W Blackout FH.

I don't have a light dedicated to my "M4".

Andy

Johnny Appleseed
07-11-22, 07:50
I definitely like that side mount, Since I already have a top RAS panel on the carbine.
I think I'll go with the HSP Thorntail offset mount. Along with a Surefire M600U.
This FN sure has a bit more bulk than my bone stock Colt 6920.
I had to reverse the sling side mount due to my southpaw disability!
I found a nice Colt silent sling still in its original package from the mid 1980's.
Thanks again for all the help gentlemen!!

Hammer_Man
07-11-22, 14:43
I run a Surefire Scout on the Starboard side of the KAC, and activate it via a tape switch mounted at the 12 o’clock.

Johnny Appleseed
07-11-22, 15:13
At first, I was hesitant to add a weapons light to any rifle, or shotgun for that matter.
I thought handheld would be adequate. I'm sure it is.
I'll keep the Colt bare bones and add a light to the FN.
I hope I don't get the itch for a bipod!
Johnny

grizzman
07-11-22, 17:09
If you oh haven’t tried using a handheld light with an AR, you need to. It’ll immediately change your mind about thinking it’s an adequate.

If you’re referring to mounting a handheld light via a 1” ring mount, that’s a legitimate option and will save some money. A sure fire 6P with a Malkoff M61 in a LaRue offset mount would have certainly been used often in theater.

Wow, LaRues are $166 plus shipping. That won't help save much $$. The entire package would be around $260. An ADM Mfg VLTOR light mount will place the light in a better position for activation, and has a current price of $105.

A 1" scope ring would have certainly been used by some soldiers, but I wouldn't call it appropriate for a quality clone build. I bet you weren't expecting a typical light setup to cost double what your optic cost.

Johnny Appleseed
07-12-22, 07:45
Your 100% correct grizzman! Prices are pretty crazy for a good quality mount and weapons light!
Buy quality and cry once!

kirkland
07-14-22, 10:43
I'm pretty sure this is PT McCain

markm
07-14-22, 10:47
Your 100% correct grizzman! Prices are pretty crazy for a good quality mount and weapons light!
Buy quality and cry once!

Shoot. I've been running the SolarForce (cheap Surefire knock off) lights for years with no issues. Unfortunately they don't seem to be available through the site I used use.

I do run the Arisaka lights with malkoff heads too. I almost bought another of those until I got slapped in the face with sticker shock.

grizzman
07-14-22, 14:03
I just received a Malkoff E2 Super head last night, and it would actually make a pretty awesome head for a Scout body for close range use. It easily throws to 75 yards, the hotspot is more of a hot area, with even transition to the bright spill. Of course, it's not cheap, but I could easily be using it 25 years from now.