PDA

View Full Version : AR folding stock adapter

yoni
07-10-22, 16:10
I put a Sylvan Arms on my CMMG Banshee 9mm with an 8 inch barrel.

I love the fact that it folds small enough to fit in a fairly small day pack.

But the plug that is the extension does not always stay in place. I put the gun in the bag muzzle up as I worry about the muzzle rubbing a hole in the bottom of the pack. I am putting the plug in the correct way.

Two Questions;

1. Do other users of the Sylvan Arms have the same issue?

2. Do users of the Law Tactical also have this issue?

When I have to hunt for the butt plug in the bottom of the bag, it makes me wonder if just striping the two haves apart would be just as good a solution.

Any ideas on how to solve this issue?

kirkland
07-10-22, 16:33
Not an issue with the Law folder, the plug fits in very tight. That's with a standard milspec type carrier. Does the Banshee carrier have the same internal diameter on the back end? That I don't know.

The push button latch on the Law will also not allow the plug to come out unless the button is pushed in.

k9barco
07-10-22, 16:59
On the law folder plugs, there is a o ring that holds the plug into the bcg. It takes some force to remove the plug.
Does the Sylvan have a o ring on the plug?

Plus like Kirkland said, the plug should be held in by the latch when folded.
Pics would help.

yoni
07-10-22, 17:11
For some reason the forum will not let me post new pictures.

The plug on the Sylvan has 2 O rings.

I went with the sylvan because it was lighter, I think it was a mistake,

kirkland
07-10-22, 17:16
I will say that the Law is heavy, and definitely changes the balance of the gun. But it is a very rugged, reliable piece of equipment. You might consider trying one out.

OutofBatt3ry
07-10-22, 17:28
For some reason the forum will not let me post new pictures.

The plug on the Sylvan has 2 O rings.

I went with the sylvan because it was lighter, I think it was a mistake,

I always suggest the LAW. I bought one specifically for my backpack AR; Never a single issue and IMO, it looks better than the other folders because it sits flush to the receiver.

Disciple
07-10-22, 18:13
I believe the 17 Design Integrated Folding Lower uses a forward-extended buffer body rather than a carrier plug. Could you use that in your Sylvan Arms kit?

https://cdn-fsly.yottaa.net/53ff2f503c881650e20004c9/www.brownells.com/v~4b.11f/userdocs/products/p_100041548_6.jpg

yoni
07-10-22, 18:39
I wrote Sylvan Arms, and will post their response.

I think I am going to just build up a silicon ring around it until the press fit is tight and it will not come out

yoni
07-13-22, 04:37
I solved the problem with the silicon, it worked out great.

So if you want a lighter hinge for your AR, you can go ahead and get it and not worry about losing your butt plug.

Say What

JediGuy
07-13-22, 11:54
I’m more curious about the durability of aluminum.

OutofBatt3ry
07-13-22, 19:22
I'm curious of your fix. Exactly what did you do? Pics for us dummies.

Five_Point_Five_Six
07-13-22, 20:44
I’m more curious about the durability of aluminum.

It was a problem with the original Law Tactical folders and why they ultimately made them out of steel. There's a weight penalty but long term durability is more important to me than weight or cost savings.

LoboTBL
07-13-22, 23:37
I believe the 17 Design Integrated Folding Lower uses a forward-extended buffer body rather than a carrier plug. Could you use that in your Sylvan Arms kit?

https://cdn-fsly.yottaa.net/53ff2f503c881650e20004c9/www.brownells.com/v~4b.11f/userdocs/products/p_100041548_6.jpg

No longer in business... there were issues with some of their uppers.

yoni
07-14-22, 03:25
I'm curious of your fix. Exactly what did you do? Pics for us dummies.

I can't get the forum to allow me to upload pictures.

But it was an easy fix $5 tube of silicon and I put a very thin bead around the head of the plug, let it almost dry and then put it in place so it would form fit. The plug is not glued in place but it is firmly in place. The stock was folded and went into my back pack, it was removed once during the day, then refolded. When I got home I removed the gun from the back pack plug was still in and perfectly centered.

Regarding it being made out of aluminum, I watched a guy beat his to death and what broke was his lower receiver and the folder was still functional, stiff but functional. So I am not worried about it at all.

mark5pt56
07-14-22, 05:21
OP, for the muzzle try a PVC cap or a piece of a pool noodle.

JediGuy
07-14-22, 06:42
Regarding it being made out of aluminum, I watched a guy beat his to death and what broke was his lower receiver and the folder was still functional, stiff but functional. So I am not worried about it at all.

I’m thinking more about the wear from the detents

Disciple
07-14-22, 10:33
No longer in business... there were issues with some of their uppers.

Nuts. I was waiting for that product to mature as it seems superior to a bolt on solution. Did anyone buy the design?

LoboTBL
07-14-22, 12:10
Nuts. I was waiting for that product to mature as it seems superior to a bolt on solution. Did anyone buy the design?

Unsure if anyone has or if it will pop up sometime in the future under another name. The buffer is proprietary and interestingly, there were A5 versions produced. I read a post on TOS that the owner(s) of 17Design had previously sold lowers under a different company name. The folding lowers do seem to be reasonably robust as far as the folding mechanism is concerned. I do have one but really haven't used it enough to give a thorough review as far as durability goes. It functions just fine, so far.

yoni
07-14-22, 18:49
I’m thinking more about the wear from the detents

It is 6 months old, it get folded and unfolded at least once a day and I see no real wear that would cause me concern

JediGuy
07-15-22, 05:47
Interesting, I appreciate that feedback