PDA

View Full Version : Silicon carbide grip, how do I tone it down?

Twilk73
07-13-22, 13:19
I used 60 grit. There is a few spots I’d like to make less aggressive. One spot is tearing up my finger the other is a spot I didn’t realize, I need my fingers to slide. I have pretty rough hands due to my job so that’s not the issue. This is a race gun I’m building up.

Any and all help is appreciated.

TomMcC
07-13-22, 13:45
Maybe a file? Sandpaper seems too light.

Stickman
07-13-22, 15:07
What AR15 grip is so aggressive?

TomMcC
07-13-22, 16:10
What AR15 grip is so aggressive?

He glued silicon carbide to the grip. The stuff can be quite rough. It is super grippy.

mpom
07-13-22, 19:02
Twilk73, you will probably have more luck getting the info you need on brianenos.com, where carbide grit is discussed in relation to grip modifications for competition/carry, vs this forum.

Mark

Twilk73
07-13-22, 20:03
Twilk73, you will probably have more luck getting the info you need on brianenos.com, where carbide grit is discussed in relation to grip modifications for competition/carry, vs this forum.

Mark

Right, I’ll go join and ask them. I found some information there when I was researching how to do it. I considered making an account over there just to ask this question. Your right that’l they’ll probably have a solution for me.

Twilk73
07-13-22, 20:03
Double tap

Disciple
07-13-22, 21:59
Silicon carbide is brittle like glass. You can probably crush the grit by forcefully rolling (not sliding) a ball bearing against it. If that doesn't work try rubbing coarse silicon carbide sandpaper or a dressing stone against it.

Twilk73
07-14-22, 00:04
Silicon carbide is brittle like glass. You can probably crush the grit by forcefully rolling (not sliding) a ball bearing against it. If that doesn't work try rubbing coarse silicon carbide sandpaper or a dressing stone against it.

This worked to make it less aggressive. Thanks for that. I just hit it repeatedly in the spots I wanted it weaker with a piece of steel.

Disciple
07-14-22, 10:47
This worked to make it less aggressive. Thanks for that. I just hit it repeatedly in the spots I wanted it weaker with a piece of steel.

:cool: