PDA

View Full Version : A2 pistol grips

Slater
07-14-22, 21:02
Of all the parts on my AR's, I'd have to say the pistol grip probably gets the least attention. To me, it's just "there". But from browsing various sites, it seems there are "fat" A2 grips, "chalky" (Colt?) A2 grips, etc. Does anybody have a certain flavor that they prefer?

kirkland
07-14-22, 21:31
Of all the parts on my AR's, I'd have to say the pistol grip probably gets the least attention. To me, it's just "there". But from browsing various sites, it seems there are "fat" A2 grips, "chalky" (Colt?) A2 grips, etc. Does anybody have a certain flavor that they prefer?

All of my AR's have plain ol' A2 grips except for the Sionics lower I bought and haven't done anything with yet, and when I do put an upper on it, it's grip will be switched out to an A2. I got no name A2's, chalky Colt A2's, one of the A2's I got is camo. I've never heard of a "fat" A2. Most people seem to hate the A2 but I really like the finger bump and the angle, it gives you more leverage to keep the muzzle up (pointing downrange vs at the ground) than the reduced angle grips do when holding the rifle only with your firing hand.

titsonritz
07-14-22, 23:35
Most people seem to hate the A2 but I really like the finger bump and the angle, it gives you more leverage to keep the muzzle up (pointing downrange vs at the ground) than the reduced angle grips do when holding the rifle only with your firing hand.

I find that a longer extended stock balanced on the forearm has more to with that than grip angle. I have no problem holding my carbines in a one handed firing position with my BCM Mod3s, my go to grip after going through pretty every grip on the planet worth owning. The only standard angle grip I use is an A1 and that is because it also has an A1 stock, but hey if you like 'em rock on, they are certainly priced right.

SteyrAUG
07-14-22, 23:48
I like a custom PG which is extendable for length, has at least 6 different side plates for width, modular strip finger grooves with six options and 8 different backstrap profiles. Works really well with my 16 position SOPMOD/SOCCOM buttstock. That way if I'm on position 10 with my buttstock I can have the appropriate length extension and a suitable backstrap option.

I keep the spares in a scooby doo lunchbox that I carry in my 3 day pack when running stages. I find it really shaves the 1/80th of a second off my average score.

kirkland
07-15-22, 00:32
I find that a longer extended stock balanced on the forearm has more to with that than grip angle. I have no problem holding my carbines in a one handed firing position with my BCM Mod3s, my go to grip after going through pretty every grip on the planet worth owning. The only standard angle grip I use is an A1 and that is because it also has an A1 stock, but hey if you like 'em rock on, they are certainly priced right.

Absolutely, that's why they make so many different grips, 'cause we're all different. I tried some of the reduced angle grips, and some of the grips that have more meat on the back where it meets the receiver, didn't care for any of them, went back to the A2, It's like the A2 was made for my hand, but I realize I'm in the minority and understand why others don't like' em.

kirkland
07-15-22, 02:56
I like a custom PG which is extendable for length, has at least 6 different side plates for width, modular strip finger grooves with six options and 8 different backstrap profiles. Works really well with my 16 position SOPMOD/SOCCOM buttstock. That way if I'm on position 10 with my buttstock I can have the appropriate length extension and a suitable backstrap option.

I keep the spares in a scooby doo lunchbox that I carry in my 3 day pack when running stages. I find it really shaves the 1/80th of a second off my average score.

Does it have the shoulder thing that goes up?

Ed L.
07-15-22, 03:30
The A2 pistol grip is the first thing that I change with any AR. It seems like the ridge was put there to irritate my hand.

MegademiC
07-15-22, 05:42
The fat one may be the sierra precision spr grip.

pinzgauer
07-15-22, 06:44
I'm actually okay with A2 grips, but once I use the Ergo grips which my LMTs shipped with I now 0/00put them on anything I build.

I have found Blackhawk copies of ergos dirt cheap at places like buds so also use them.

It's not a big deal, but they are more comfortable. If I'm going to pay for a grip I'll spend a little extra.

556Cliff
07-15-22, 08:14
I prefer the Magpul MOE (not the rubber overmold "+" version) over anything. I also prefer the A1 grip over the A2 because I'm not the biggest fan of the A2's finger bump. Though if I'm going to install an A2 grip on something then it has to be a Colt chalky A2... No other A2 grip comes close and it sucks that they discontinued them. However, they are coming in Colt LPKs from Arms Unlimited at the moment, but it's probably the last of them.

These Colt A2's from the 80s and 90s are even better, they're the "fat" ones that you mentioned. https://www.specializedarmament.com/ar-15-lower-receivers-parts/pistol-grip-m16a2-colt-1983-1998/

Slater
07-15-22, 08:19
What's the story behind the "chalky" grips? I've heard it was the result of the grips being tumbled in media, but I don't know how accurate that is.

556Cliff
07-15-22, 08:27
What's the story behind the "chalky" grips? I've heard it was the result of the grips being tumbled in media, but I don't know how accurate that is.

I believe that's correct. Though at one point we incorrectly thought is was from a mold release spray they were using. There are more than a few A2 copies out there and none of them are the same as the grips Colt uses (or I should say used to use). The A2 grips that Colt is using now are used by a lot of AR manufacturers.

Uncas47
07-15-22, 09:12
The KAC A2 grip is very close to the 80's/90's grip that 556Cliff mentioned. The early grips were not only wider, but the contour of the beak was smoother, more rounded. It's my preferred grip although I luv me some chalky too. The modern grips I won't name live in the box of shame.

Edit, some of my early bakelite looking A1 grips are wider also.

Slater
07-15-22, 09:33
This is from Prudent American Technologies (formerly P&S Products) website, depicting their pistol grip. Is this representative of current production?

https://i.imgur.com/ET5RpTm.jpg

556Cliff
07-15-22, 09:42
This is from Prudent American Technologies (formerly P&S Products) website, depicting their pistol grip. Is this representative of current production?

https://i.imgur.com/ET5RpTm.jpg

Yes, that's Colt's current A2 grip, same grip as used by more than a few manufacturers and it's also sold through Damage Industries.

556Cliff
07-15-22, 09:45
The KAC A2 grip is very close to the 80's/90's grip that 556Cliff mentioned.

Interesting, I wasn't aware that KAC even had an A2 grip.

Pappabear
07-15-22, 10:04
I used to think I had a preference to the Magpul MIAD and when I hold the gun , I like the meat it offers for general handling. When Im shooting I dont notice my A2, from my Mod445555 BCM grip to...

My KAC gun may be my only A2 grip because most of my guns are franken builds that I built.

PB

HKGuns
07-15-22, 10:11
Nearly all of my rifles sport an HK battle grip with storage. I like the angle, the girth and the texturing. I have some Colt A2's in the mix, as well as one DD factory grip that is pretty comfy.

markm
07-15-22, 10:30
Back to the OP's original question... I like the "chalky" A2 grip over the slick texture. But I wouldn't go to the trouble to swap out for that reason.

AndyLate
07-15-22, 14:55
I prefer the Magpul MOE (not the rubber overmold "+" version) over anything. I also prefer the A1 grip over the A2 because I'm not the biggest fan of the A2's finger bump. Though if I'm going to install an A2 grip on something then it has to be a Colt chalky A2... No other A2 grip comes close and it sucks that they discontinued them. However, they are coming in Colt LPKs from Arms Unlimited at the moment, but it's probably the last of them.

These Colt A2's from the 80s and 90s are even better, they're the "fat" ones that you mentioned. https://www.specializedarmament.com/ar-15-lower-receivers-parts/pistol-grip-m16a2-colt-1983-1998/

I can confirm there is a suprising difference in the A2 grips. I had to search out a Colt (or at least fatter) grip when I was putting my LMT together to resemble an M4. Its easy for me to tell because I can't poke my index finger into the thinner grips.

The "A2" grips from PSA and other vendors feel noticeably different after 20 years of handling M16A2s and M4s.

Andy

P.S. Holy crap! $95 for a used PG?

markm
07-15-22, 15:02
P.S. Holy crap! $95 for a used PG?

That's just S.A.W. I swear the guy doesn't want to actually sell anything. He could have been a millionaire two panic frenzies ago. I think he feels safer having the glut of inventory. So bizzare.

kirkland
07-15-22, 15:14
Yeah they're $10 at arms unlimited

556Cliff
07-15-22, 15:22
Yeah they're $10 at arms unlimited

Those are the new Colt A2 grips though, same as what Brownells is selling. As far as I know, the last of the chalky Colt A2s are only coming in the Colt LPKs that AU is selling.

Disciple
07-15-22, 15:23
Most people seem to hate the A2 but I really like the finger bump and the angle, it gives you more leverage to keep the muzzle up (pointing downrange vs at the ground) than the reduced angle grips do when holding the rifle only with your firing hand.

Do you work wrist abduction?

556Cliff
07-15-22, 15:30
That's just S.A.W. I swear the guy doesn't want to actually sell anything. He could have been a millionaire two panic frenzies ago. I think he feels safer having the glut of inventory. So bizzare.

Brownells has beat Specialized Armament at their own game on a lot of Colt parts... Actually makes Ken's prices seem reasonable. :blink:

I don't believe that Specialized Armament has received any new production Colt parts for a while though. Everything that sells out there stays sold out.

kirkland
07-15-22, 15:40
Do you work wrist abduction?

What does that mean?

Edited to add: Nevermind, I looked it up. You mean like doing specific exercises? No, but I get plenty of wrist forearm workout, it's pretty much unavoidable working in the masonry field of construction. What I meant by the leverage comment was that you actually have to bend your wrist back farther (abduct?) with a reduced grip angle to get the muzzle up to the same level as with a standard grip like the A2. It always seemed like a disadvantage to me and part of the reason why reduced grip angle type grips never made sense to me.

I'm all for any leverage advantage that helps keep the muzzle up when handling the weapon with only the firing hand, the front ends of these rifles can get pretty heavy once you add a few accessories.

556Cliff
07-15-22, 16:00
What does that mean?

Edited to add: Nevermind, I looked it up. You mean like doing specific exercises? No, but I get plenty of wrist forearm workout, it's pretty much unavoidable working in the masonry field of construction. What I meant by the leverage comment was that you actually have to bend your wrist back farther (abduct?) with a reduced grip angle to get the muzzle up to the same level as with a standard grip like the A2. It always seemed like a disadvantage to me and part of the reason why reduced grip angle type grips never made sense to me.

Yeah, the reduced angle grips never caught on with me either. They just feel weird, kinda like an AK's grip angle. Maybe they're more popular for guys that have realized the error of their ways and are transitioning from the AK to the AR???

markm
07-15-22, 16:23
Brownells has beat Specialized Armament at their own game on a lot of Colt parts... Actually makes Ken's prices seem reasonable. :blink:

I don't believe that Specialized Armament has received any new production Colt parts for a while though. Everything that sells out there stays sold out.

But Ken's "sold out" is probably a hundred in the shop, but he doesn't want to go below that inventory amount.

Uncas47
07-15-22, 16:52
Ken stays real busy with LE and foreign military class 3 contracts and Colt collectors. There's lots of other options for those that prefer not to wait or pay the prices.

Slater
07-15-22, 17:15
Ken stays real busy with LE and foreign military class 3 contracts and Colt collectors. There's lots of other options for those that prefer not to wait or pay the prices.

Heck, I'm surprised the market isn't flooded with Chinese knockoffs by now. They're getting more accurate all the time.

titsonritz
07-15-22, 17:27

Damn, now I'm kicking myself in the ass for giving away the couple I use to have.

Disciple
07-15-22, 17:36
No, but I get plenty of wrist forearm workout, it's pretty much unavoidable working in the masonry field of construction. What I meant by the leverage comment was that you actually have to bend your wrist back farther (abduct?) with a reduced grip angle to get the muzzle up to the same level as with a standard grip like the A2.

Then I expect your wrists are stronger than mine but I feel that the abducted position e.g. gripping a dumbbell is stronger than the adducted one e.g. shaking hands. When you hold the A2 grip with only one hand is your wrist adducted all the way to bone lock?

markm
07-15-22, 17:47

And that's cool. I'm not pooping on the guy. It's just interesting to me.

556Cliff
07-15-22, 18:00
But Ken's "sold out" is probably a hundred in the shop, but he doesn't want to go below that inventory amount.

Hmmm, I didn't even consider that he might be holding back some of his inventory... Probably a good possibility.

ABNAK
07-15-22, 18:04

Same here. If given my druthers the Mod3 is first choice. MOE is a close second (not the rubbery ones though).

kirkland
07-15-22, 18:13
Then I expect your wrists are stronger than mine but I feel that the abducted position e.g. gripping a dumbbell is stronger than the adducted one e.g. shaking hands. When you hold the A2 grip with only one hand is your wrist adducted all the way to bone lock?

I see what you're getting at. I just did a little experiment, holding the rifle with only the firing hand in a shooting stance, aiming forward, the wrist is not adducted to bone lock, without moving anything else I can relax my wrist and allow the muzzle to fall down below horizontal.

I would contend that the wrist would be in an adducted or handshake type of position with either grip angle, just one slightly less so. Is one theoretically stronger than the other? I dunno, but the grip on the A2 feels stronger to me and it could also just have to do with how the grip fits in my hand. Abducting my wrist all the way without moving anything else causes the muzzle to point almost straight up.

Uncas47
07-15-22, 18:14
Hmmm, I didn't even consider that he might be holding back some of his inventory... Probably a good possibility.

As a for instance say you had him build an upper for you and he shows OOS on BCGs on the website and you would like to upgrade, he will most likely let you have one. He will always retain enough inventory to fill contracts, and then put items back on the website when he gets some more.

Hammer_Man
07-15-22, 18:14
My favorite grip is the chalky Colt grips. It sucks that they seem to be discontinued, but I suspect you could recreate them by tumbling or sand blasting.

SteyrAUG
07-15-22, 18:33
I'm actually okay with A2 grips, but once I use the Ergo grips which my LMTs shipped with I now 0/00put them on anything I build.

I have found Blackhawk copies of ergos dirt cheap at places like buds so also use them.

It's not a big deal, but they are more comfortable. If I'm going to pay for a grip I'll spend a little extra.

Honestly, the first time I encountered a hand grip that was an actual problem was on the MR556, it took a LOT of getting used to and eventually I sold it, mostly because it was so damn front heavy.

I can shoot A1s, A2 and whatever we call that profile from Magpul and don't notice any difference. But the contoured HK grip did take some getting used to, it was just an odd hold for me that made the way I normally shoulder a rifle slightly difficult.

The only ones I can't shoot at all are those straight vertical pistol grips you see on some ARs, actually hurt my wrist. Not sure why they exist.

Five_Point_Five_Six
07-15-22, 19:00

That reminds me of gun shop I worked at many years ago. After the 08 Obama scare he stacked Glock 19s and rack grade ARs deep and had a pile he didn't touch until probably 2012 for Obama scare #2. He likely made a killing.

3 AE
07-15-22, 22:31
Having small hands and thin fingers, I could never get my hand up high on the OEM grip on my Colt 6920. The bump would get in the way. Tried the ERGO grips for a year and just didn't fit my hand. Finally settled on the TangoDown BG-16 BattleGrip. It appears to be at the same angle as the A2 grip but no hump, a slight palm swell, and a storage compartment. It has worked for me for the last six years. I recently checked their website and it's been discontinued and replaced with the BG-18 that has a more vertical angle and no storage. I seem to be "That Guy" that comes across boots that fit, articles of clothing that fit, stocks that fit, and within a year they are all discontinued. Now when I find something that fits/works for me, I buy at least two!

07-16-22, 08:21
Grips are as about like shoes when it comes to individual preference.

I don’t like any of em but I settled on the Magpul SL for some reason.

AndyLate
07-16-22, 08:32
Same here. If given my druthers the Mod3 is first choice. MOE is a close second (not the rubbery ones though).

Another vote for Mod3. Vertical grips are more comfortable to my wrist and the Mod3 just gets everything right.

My thumb reach makes the MOE less of a favorite - I have to reach a bit to move the selector to safe. I still have MOEs on a couple of guns.

Andy

lazar
07-18-22, 16:15
Magpul K2 for me, fits my hand perfectly.