PDA

View Full Version : Mk 47 Mod 0 grenade launcher

Slater
07-15-22, 21:47
Is this considered to be a replacement for the old Mk 19?

https://www.gd-ots.com/armaments/individual-crew-served-weapons/mk47-mod-0-40mm-advanced-grenade-launcher/

rero360
07-15-22, 22:51
Is this considered to be a replacement for the old Mk 19?

https://www.gd-ots.com/armaments/individual-crew-served-weapons/mk47-mod-0-40mm-advanced-grenade-launcher/

I’ve seen these in pictures and online for years but never in person, I’m assuming that they’re confined to the SOF community.

While the MK-19 is certainly larger and heavier, I loved it, I once scored a direct hit on a target with one at right about the max effective distance of the weapon free gunning it, took me a whole can of ammo, but with the last burst one round made impact, with a time of flight of about ten seconds if I remember correctly.

CRAMBONE
07-16-22, 00:25
Think they been out for a bit. I remember seeing one on a SF buggy in Kundoz back in 15 or so.

vicious_cb
07-16-22, 02:03
No because it needs a $100,000 ballistic computer and optics for it, not to mention the cost the uber expensive programmable airburst rounds.

07-16-22, 07:08
We got them in like 06 or 07. There were some teething problems, and many of us came to remember that we prefer fitties and didn’t really use them all that much.

Averageman
07-16-22, 15:48
We got them in like 06 or 07. There were some teething problems, and many of us came to remember that we prefer fitties and didn’t really use them all that much.

This has been my experience.
I knew a guy who was a Vietnam Vet. He was a short Hawaiian guy who used to go on and on about his service in Vietnam.
We happened to have an M203 range with lots of ammo and only a few guys to qualify.
So we've got a metric ton of ammo, no one to qualify and the range to ourselves.
He begins telling me the he at one time fired an M79 with someone else loading it.
Having a curiosity, time and free ammo, we pulled it off. He could hang three in the air when the fourth was leaving the tube, the first was impacting.
And pretty accurate.

vicious_cb
07-16-22, 23:20

From the guys I heard from who tested it said it recoiled like a jackhammer, it was so bad that at the end of a belt it would snap the links and send the last 4-5 rounds flying out of the truck. Can you confirm?

07-17-22, 08:42
From the guys I heard from who tested it said it recoiled like a jackhammer, it was so bad that at the end of a belt it would snap the links and send the last 4-5 rounds flying out of the truck. Can you confirm?

I don’t remember that happening, but like I said, they didn’t get a ton of use. Enough use that I’d expect that to come up, though. They definitely cycled differently than the 19. We didn’t really trust them because some of the first ones had uncommanded firings. Never a good feature, and especially bad on a AGL.

I’m not a great source on this because I’m going off of distant memory, and I was pretty uninterested in them at the time. I never really appreciated AGLs, in general, due to the war we were in, and real or perceived functional concerns with the 19 and 47.