PDA

View Full Version : When they don't run away at the sight of a gun...

WillBrink
07-16-22, 16:30
Whole lot or AAR comments can be made about this one, and dude is lucky he didn't get shot. One thing that did get my attention was the thieves took off with a gun he left in his truck. That makes him a chit irresponsible gun owner as he is a major reason we end up with bad laws and arming criminals. Don't leave guns in your vehicles, ever! That irritates me on so many levels...

Two, not sure if it's happening more often or just getting more coverage, but it seems stories of armed citizens dealing with armed criminals, thugs, etc has gone up sharply lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfVePZrecJc&t=25s

Averageman
07-16-22, 17:45
I keep a pistol inside my locked truck, inside my locked garage.
I don't feel like I'm irresponsible.

WillBrink
07-16-22, 18:00

That's being pedantic. It's inside your home basically. I suspect you know what I'm talking about. If left in vehicles, not in your locked garage, either add a secured lock box, or bring them inside. Two, secure them in your home when you are not home.

drsal
07-16-22, 18:47
Walking about with my dog I can identify at least three vehicles I'm sure have guns in them, the NRA, Glock, SiG and other telling decals are basically a subtle message to potential thieves,"hey bet you can find a gun in here!"

WillBrink
07-16-22, 19:00
Walking about with my dog I can identify at least three vehicles I'm sure have guns in them, the NRA, Glock, SiG and other telling decals are basically a subtle message to potential thieves,"hey bet you can find a gun in here!"

The they will follow people home, wait for to leave, a rob the house knowing they will score guns, unless the gun owner has them secured as they should. For obvious reasons, bumper stickers are a hard no for me.

SteyrAUG
07-16-22, 19:44
That's being pedantic. It's inside your home basically. I suspect you know what I'm talking about. If left in vehicles, not in your locked garage, either add a secured lock box, or bring them inside. Two, secure them in your home when you are not home.

While there is due diligence, I stop short of blaming the victims for the actions of criminals. I'm old enough to remember when you could gun rack some Winchesters in your pickup truck back window and have real world expectations that nothing would happen to them.

I'm also old enough to remember when gun safes were something only the very wealthy had, and most of us kept out guns in glass door cabinets. I can also remember gun collectors with their prized pieces "on display" on their living room walls.

What changed? And why do we hold the owner of guns responsible for theft?

At this rate, in two generations if you don't have them in something equivalent to a bank vault, it will be YOUR FAULT your guns were stolen.

That said, I realize thieves are generally more bold (and protected by laws) so I have gun safes and don't leave any firearms in personal vehicles. I also have no decals of any kind to indicate what might be in my vehicles. I'm not even comfortable putting decals on my gun safe, I want potential thieves to think I've got a safe full of Mossbergs and shit guns.

titsonritz
07-16-22, 19:59

That is what happens when freaks in charge choose to hold victims of crime responsible rather than the scumbag doing the dirt. I can hardly wait to get the fcvk out of this place.

https://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/news/2021/09/25/oregon-new-gun-law-goes-into-effect-what-know/5863197001/

ABNAK
07-16-22, 20:32
Whole lot or AAR comments can be made about this one, and dude is lucky he didn't get shot. One thing that did get my attention was the thieves took off with a gun he left in his truck. That makes him a chit irresponsible gun owner as he is a major reason we end up with bad laws and arming criminals. Don't leave guns in your vehicles, ever! That irritates me on so many levels...

Are you talking about leaving the vehicle unlocked? If so I agree 110%. If you are talking about locking the doors and then someone breaks into it is no different than leaving a gun in your bedroom nightstand and a thief breaking into your locked house and taking it. Both were the acts of a CRIMINAL. Gotta watch victim blaming for the acts of a POS lowlife (if indeed you were inferring so). If it is an unlocked vehicle then that person is a dumb-ass as well as an irresponsible gun owner.

ABNAK
07-16-22, 20:37

Can't take a firearm into my place of employment. Am I therefore required to not keep a gun in my car (and I drive into a relatively big city 5 days a week) because LOCKING the vehicle isn't sufficient?

I have handguns and other assorted goodies scattered throughout the house (for a reason). I'll be damned if I'm policing up every one of them and putting them into the safe every time I come and go. If I lock my house that is sufficient for any guilt trip a liberal might try to lay on me if it was broken into.

HKGuns
07-16-22, 23:37
Can't take a firearm into my place of employment. Am I therefore required to not keep a gun in my car (and I drive into a relatively big city 5 days a week) because LOCKING the vehicle isn't sufficient?

I have handguns and other assorted goodies scattered throughout the house (for a reason). I'll be damned if I'm policing up every one of them and putting them into the safe every time I come and go. If I lock my house that is sufficient for any guilt trip a liberal might try to lay on me if it was broken into.

Many are in that situation and I don’t consider your actions irresponsible.

SteyrAUG
07-17-22, 01:26
Many are in that situation and I don’t consider your actions irresponsible.

Yep, I'm all for making it harder for the bad guys, but most experienced criminals are in your LOCKED car within seconds. Less experienced do smash and grab by breaking out a window. People blaming others for not locking this or not locking that are kind of kidding themselves.

A friend of mine got hit while he was at work, they literally took the front door down with a sledge hammer and probably spend 20 minutes inside given the response time to his home alarm. Locks are meaningless and only stop people who aren't willing to break windows or lift your sliders off the tracks.

WillBrink
07-17-22, 08:10
All I will add to some of these comments is, if you want to add to the pool of guns in the hands of criminals, and not expect crappy laws passed by anti gun idiots as to storage, etc, based on principles, that's on you. Yes, obviously the person breaking into your house or car is the bad guy, but I posit it's on us to do our best to make their access difficult. There's some hills to die on on principle and there's some areas where the juice worth the squeeze to reduce the access of easy guns and the laws that follow from the anti 2A/anti Liberty/Anti Basic Humans Rights derpa derps.

If my gun was stolen from my car I'd left in the glove box not secured "cuz I'm not the bad guy here" position and used in a crime where some innocent person was killed, that would bother me bigly. Happened to a friend of mine many moons ago. They tried to return the gun to him, but he didn't want it. Seeing the gun and knowing it had been used in a murder hit him hard. It was not "real" until that happened, he just knew his stolen gun was out there somewhere. His home security sucked, I mentioned to him that while he lived in a low crime area, it was not Mayberry, and at least some decent locks and such were in order, and not leaving the pistol on the night stand next to his bed (no wife or kids in the house), was a good idea. He shrugged that off.

Me, I'm a bit of a security nut and feel it's my job to make it more difficult than it's worth to bother trying to rob my house, etc, and I want to know if one of my guns was stolen and now in circulation with criminals, I did my best to prevent it, regardless of the fact it will also help prevent idiotic storage laws.

Your mileage may vary.

Backfire
07-17-22, 08:46
You are hard pressed to be able to protect everything from societal breakdown. Way back when people used to be honorable, that is no longer the case. Your home will soon look like a fortress with bars on the windows high fences, search lights, rose bushes, dogs, alarms, cameras... we will all be living Iike the Omega man. Nothing you can do to stop it

utahjeepr
07-17-22, 08:52
It is the criminal that is 100% responsible, not the gun owner.

Do stolen guns make up a big percentage of crime guns, yup. Does that mean it's my responsibility to encase my guns in reinforced concrete and break out the jackhammer if I ever need one, nope. Cause for the gun grabber crowd that is where "safe storage" might get close to being "enough".

How about we put the responsibility on the bad guys and leave security decisions regarding personal property out of it.

WillBrink
07-17-22, 08:54
You are hard pressed to be able to protect everything from societal breakdown. Way back when people used to be honorable, that is no longer the case. Your home will soon look like a fortress with bars on the windows high fences, search lights, rose bushes, dogs, alarms, cameras... we will all be living Iike the Omega man. Nothing you can do to stop it

When was that again?

AndyLate
07-17-22, 08:54

Speaking only for myself, a gun in my vehicle at work is pretty safe from theft. Overnight in my driveway not so much. If I "needed" to secure a gun in my car regularly, I would probably explore a lock box of some sort. A locked console is not secure at all.

I would consider a gun in a locked vehicle in a garage pretty safe.

Andy

Inkslinger
07-17-22, 09:37
I think people are exaggerating the lengths needed to prevent firearms from being stolen from your home. Cover and concealment are as effective for securing firearms as they are for surviving a gunfight.

For the most part someone breaking into your home is going to be quick and take high value items that they can get out and get gone without bringing attention to themselves.

Are there criminals that will spend time to break into guns safes or even wheel them out on hand trucks and load them into a van? There sure are, but if that happens to you it’s probably because you let strangers know to much about yourself.

Now I’m sure I don’t have as many firearms as some of you, but I have enough that would require a pretty large safe. I do not have a safe because I do not want to have something that will draw attention to someone willing to break into my home. They might not make an attempt to get into it, but they now know it’s there. They may decide to be those who return with a hand truck and a van.

My setup conceals multiple rifles/sub guns/pistols on a rack system with cables and biometric padlocks. I also have handguns staged around my home. I know my method is effective because it’s been tested. My home was broken into years ago while my wife and I were at work. While walking the Officer through my home he asked if I had any firearms or if any had been taken. I was happy to reply everything was still here.

Now I realize it’s not feasible for everyone to build secret rooms into their home to store firearms. I do think it’s possible for most to conceal them or their safes to the point that they will not be found in the case of a break in. Is it convenient to have a safe in your bedroom closet? Sure is, but I promise you in a break in someone is going to see it. Then they know more about you then you want them to.

The_War_Wagon
07-17-22, 12:20

Don't criminals pay attention to the signs

https://media.compliancesigns.com/cdn-cgi/image/width=526,format=auto,quality=90/media/catalog/product/n/o/no-trespassing-sign-nhep-34429_ylw_1000.gif

libtards think they do!

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi5.walmartimages.com%2Fasr%2Fc5a38081-f042-4abe-997b-9b4e022b44f6_1.093565c575bba7a97139b2bd2b1e9e57.jpeg&f=1&nofb=1

utahjeepr
07-17-22, 12:44
While I'd never put one up at my house, I think a "Warning to Criminals: This is NOT a Gun Free Zone." sign would be funny.

Disciple
07-17-22, 13:55
While there is due diligence, I stop short of blaming the victims for the actions of criminals. I'm old enough to remember when you could gun rack some Winchesters in your pickup truck back window and have real world expectations that nothing would happen to them.

I'm also old enough to remember when gun safes were something only the very wealthy had, and most of us kept out guns in glass door cabinets. I can also remember gun collectors with their prized pieces "on display" on their living room walls.

If theft of a firearm were made a shoot-on-sight offense I'll bet we could get back to those days.

SteyrAUG
07-17-22, 20:29
When was that again?

Maybe didn't exist where you grew up, but I can remember my high school parking lot in 1984 and seeing a few pickup trucks with back window gun racks. Mostly shotguns.

HKGuns
07-17-22, 20:39
Maybe didn't exist where you grew up, but I can remember my high school parking lot in 1984 and seeing a few pickup trucks with back window gun racks. Mostly shotguns.

Yep all over the place.

Even …….GASP………in the high school parking lot.

Averageman
07-17-22, 21:15

Arizona, 1975-1979. Everyday shotguns and lever action rifles.
You know you could stop for a cold one at the local bar and see no less than a dozen long guns in truck windows.

P2Vaircrewman
07-18-22, 08:34
I think people are exaggerating the lengths needed to prevent firearms from being stolen from your home. Cover and concealment are as effective for securing firearms as they are for surviving a gunfight.

For the most part someone breaking into your home is going to be quick and take high value items that they can get out and get gone without bringing attention to themselves.

Are there criminals that will spend time to break into guns safes or even wheel them out on hand trucks and load them into a van? There sure are, but if that happens to you it’s probably because you let strangers know to much about yourself.

Now I’m sure I don’t have as many firearms as some of you, but I have enough that would require a pretty large safe. I do not have a safe because I do not want to have something that will draw attention to someone willing to break into my home. They might not make an attempt to get into it, but they now know it’s there. They may decide to be those who return with a hand truck and a van.

My setup conceals multiple rifles/sub guns/pistols on a rack system with cables and biometric padlocks. I also have handguns staged around my home. I know my method is effective because it’s been tested. My home was broken into years ago while my wife and I were at work. While walking the Officer through my home he asked if I had any firearms or if any had been taken. I was happy to reply everything was still here.

Now I realize it’s not feasible for everyone to build secret rooms into their home to store firearms. I do think it’s possible for most to conceal them or their safes to the point that they will not be found in the case of a break in. Is it convenient to have a safe in your bedroom closet? Sure is, but I promise you in a break in someone is going to see it. Then they know more about you then you want them to.

Suspended ceilings are not normally used in homes but I have a hall way with a suspended ceiling. I built a rack to hold rifles and handguns above the ceiling.

glocktogo
07-18-22, 09:09
Sadly we had a relevant shooting in my area last night. Guy was eating in a restaurant when he saw a perp taking things out of his truck. He goes out to confront the perp, who then shoots him in the leg, with a gun taken from the guy's truck.

As stated earlier, some of us can't carry at work and may have a "truck gun" for the to-from commute. But once you're out of the exclusion zone, PUT IT ON and don't leave it in the vehicle when it's not locked in your garage. If you do and someone breaks into it, I'd recommend NOT confronting the perp, as you know they have a gun because they have YOUR gun. :(

https://www.newson6.com/story/62d4a07ef0e0b907ae6e29c2/victim-shot-outside-restaurant-after-confronting-car-burglary-suspect

WillBrink
07-18-22, 09:32

Growing up in Brooklyn 70s/80s, it was a legit low intensity war zone, when crime in the US was far higher*. I was shot at twice, probably more than most LEOs will experience in their careers. I suspect your et al experiences is not related people being more "honorable" per se, but less crazy, less capable of taking individual responsibility for their actions, knowing they'd likely get a serious beat down if caught, and other factors unrelated to being "honorable" per se. Many (most?) people are as honorable as they have to be not to get end up in jail, lose jobs, get their a$$ kicked and so forth. My faith in humans as a species - being a student of history as you seem to be also - is not high. There's some great individual people, as a species, not so much...

* = While the media has people who can't be bothered to look at stats convinced it's WWIII out there. It was far worse a few decades ago. It has been climbing recently, not even close to peak.