PDA

View Full Version : Every Branch Struggling to Meet Recruiting Goals

Buncheong
07-17-22, 07:38
“Spoehr said he does not believe a revival of the draft is imminent, but ‘2022 is the year we question the sustainability of the all-volunteer force.’”

* Screencap it: the draft will be coming back. “We need a military that reflects 21st Century America,” they will proclaim.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna35078

OutofBatt3ry
07-17-22, 07:47
"The pool of those eligible to join the military continues to shrink, with more young men and women than ever disqualified for obesity, drug use or criminal records."

Young people today hate their country and can't figure out which bathroom to use. Those that may want to join, couldn't make it through today's watered down basic. I assume they now say things like "pretty please" and have safe spaces for new recruits.

Add in the wokeness and laughable starting wage in comparison to what the real cost of living is...(assuming you don't want to live on base and eat at the mess every day)

Shocking.

Alpha-17
07-17-22, 08:09
I feel like every few years we cycle through this. I remember the 2004-2008 stories of how hard it was to recruit folks, and how that meant the return of the draft was imminent. It didn't happen.

Just like in 2008-2009, if the economy continues to get worse, I would expect that the military will start looking more appealing to a lot of people.

sinister
07-17-22, 08:31
Not sure what the emergency is.

Lots of hostile nations across the planet are also flat-lining, population growth-wise.

The Russians and the Chinese are facing what happens when you have conscript armies, and pay and treat your people like shit.

Be wary of a 12-division global military strategy if you can only man eight to ten volunteer divisions at desired quality standards.

The United States Department of Defense can maintain current quality standards by upping pay and cutting required numbers. Novel idea.

Backfire
07-17-22, 08:36
It will be the destruction of the best military force ever seen. Now just diversity hires and folks that don't want to be there will makeup the military. Sort of like our current popo. The sheep dogs are leaving and being replaced by mediocre's at best

Artos
07-17-22, 08:42
I'm sure the jab mandate is keeping many of the much more qualified candidates from considering...not to mention joining under dementia in chief. This admin is an absolute disaster.

markm
07-17-22, 08:55
Part of me thinks it's part of the destroy America plan. They'll lower the standards until our military is as effective as the Uvalde Police Department.

prepare
07-17-22, 08:59
https://tuckercarlson.com/air-force-master-sergeant-expelled-after-refusing-covid-vaccine-a-problem-for-right-now/

A U.S. Air Force master sergeant who has served with the branch for the past 19 years has been separated after the service denied him a religious exemption from the military-wide COVID-19 vaccine mandate.

In an interview on Wednesday with Fox News host Tucker Carlson, Air Force MSgt Nick Kupper announced he would be separated from the service on Thursday, “all because they won’t grant me a religious exemption waiver.”

docsherm
07-17-22, 09:10

Lots of hostile nations across the planet are also flat-lining, population growth-wise.

The Russians and the Chinese are facing what happens when you have conscript armies, and pay and treat your people like shit.

Be wary of a 12-division global military strategy if you can only man eight to ten volunteer divisions at desired quality standards.

The United States Department of Defense can maintain current quality standards by upping pay and cutting required numbers. Novel idea.

Very true.

But what will happen, is what they do every time: Lower ALL standards until they have the numbers they need.

HKGuns
07-17-22, 09:12
The founders were basically against a large standing federal army, so as a vet, I'm fine with not meeting the military recruiting goals. If something should pop, I am sure you'd have no shortage of folks willing to fight under the right leadership, including my aged arse.

A stranger to our politics, who was to read our newspapers at the present juncture, without
having previously inspected the plan reported by the convention, would be naturally led to one of
two conclusions: either that it contained a positive injunction, that standing armies should be
kept up in time of peace; or that it vested in the EXECUTIVE the whole power of levying troops,
without subjecting his discretion, in any shape, to the control of the legislature. - A. Hamilton F24

An army, so large as seriously to menace those liberties, could only be formed by progressive
augmentations; which would suppose, not merely a temporary combination between the
legislature and executive, but a continued conspiracy for a series of time. Is it probable that such
a combination would exist at all? - A. Hamilton F26

I think we have the answer to this one pretty clearly.

Backfire
07-17-22, 09:21
The founders were basically against a large standing federal army, so as a vet, I'm fine with not meeting the military recruiting goals. If something should pop, I am sure you'd have no shortage of folks willing to fight under the right leadership, including my aged arse.

True, I want to play on Dallas with Stabach, Dorsett and too tall, not on the cardinals right before retirement...

Backfire
07-17-22, 09:23
True, I want to play on Dallas with Stabach, Dorsett and too tall, not on the cardinals right before retirement...

Can I still say Cardinals? Not sure... not I to NFL anymore

Wake27
07-17-22, 09:34

Making it easier to transition leaders out of position would probably go a long way too. Obviously it can’t be a popularity contest but I’ve worked with and for some people that truly dishearten their subordinates. BCAP is a starting point but we all know that as we’re failing to meet recruiting and retention, the Army will be less willing to ditch people that are universally accepted as needing it.

I don’t know how realistic that is for most MOS though. Some of the schools that kids have to get through now just to do their basic jobs are many months to even years long. Nothing in the aviation world would work well with a bunch of brand new recruits getting an expedited IET.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flenna
07-17-22, 11:45
Very true.

But what will happen, is what they do every time: Lower ALL standards until they have the numbers they need.

Cue McNamara’s 100,000.

The_War_Wagon
07-17-22, 12:08
I'd just gone back to college at age 23 to finish my degree when Desert Storm broke out, & they were talking about re-instituting the draft for that in the leadup to operations.

chuckman
07-17-22, 13:09
It's not like people aren't trying to join. According to the local Army National Guard in Marine Corps recruiter, their phone is quite busy.

The problem is people are fat, out of shape, have medical problems, mental history, drug history, or criminal record that precludes waiver.

Yes there is an slow down but even if they reinstate the draft, it's the same pool of ineligible people.

For my part I worked out with a mentored kid who dropped 60 lb to join and now is doing quite well. I have a son who wants to join, too.

Coal Dragger
07-17-22, 13:30
We “fix” this problem, and some other societal issues by mandating PE classes all the way through school K-12. Two hour long blocks of instruction per day, if that means school doesn’t let out until 16:00 each day that’s just too bad.

No screwing around either, PE won’t be about playing grab ass games; should be strait up getting kids bigger, stronger, faster. At least past the age of 12-13.

SomeOtherGuy
07-17-22, 13:56
I'm sure the jab mandate is keeping many of the much more qualified candidates from considering...not to mention joining under dementia in chief. This admin is an absolute disaster.

The military was on a horrible trend even before jab mandates and "Biden"... a trend that started under Clinton and never really got fixed. The last 2-3 years is just the final nail in the coffin.

I cannot imagine a time when I would be more opposed to a draft, or to any of my kids and friends joining voluntarily.

ChattanoogaPhil
07-17-22, 13:56
Biden Admin will set up recruiting centers along the southern border.

Artos
07-17-22, 14:27
The military was on a horrible trend even before jab mandates and "Biden"... a trend that started under Clinton and never really got fixed. The last 2-3 years is just the final nail in the coffin.

I cannot imagine a time when I would be more opposed to a draft, or to any of my kids and friends joining voluntarily.

It's gotten to a point it's now beyond creepy...ran across this article about trans soldiers getting special privileges & wish I could unseen the cringe worthy pic.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2022/07/bidens-america-trans-soldiers-given-special-privileges-us-military-christian-soldiers-persecuted/

TBAR_94
07-17-22, 15:14
Making it easier to transition leaders out of position would probably go a long way too. Obviously it can’t be a popularity contest but I’ve worked with and for some people that truly dishearten their subordinates. BCAP is a starting point but we all know that as we’re failing to meet recruiting and retention, the Army will be less willing to ditch people that are universally accepted as needing it.

I think the BCAP idea, along with the SNCO and CGO iterations, are important. I think a 360 feedback process is long overdue in the military, and the psych screening aspect is important to. I don't know anyone in the Army, Air Force or Navy that doesn't have a story about a commander who was a complete psycho, it would be nice to weed those people out early. And some of the iron majors that never did their staff tours would probably be better commanders than the high performing O-5 who hasn't been in a line unit since they were a Captain.

As the overall recruiting goal--I don't think it really matters because things are too dorked up from the VID to know what's real and what isn't. I don't believe vaccines have anything to do with it, despite how badly some people that are against them wish it did. It's hard to know how much of the issues with kids being fat and medicated actually matters--I'm not sure those are the ones that would have wanted to join the military to begin with. Though, I'll admit that the internet is rife with people that say they want to enlist or go to ROTC but can't because they've seen a mental health professional or taken various drugs in the last few years.