PDA

View Full Version : Your DIY armory saferoom

nobletitus
12-21-08, 12:34
I am looking at building a small room/closet as a secure area for most of my firearms. I looked at various safes but cost-wise, I'd like to build something bigger and to my likings. I am interested to see if anyone has built a room or converted it for their firearms. My focus is to keep it secure but I am not worried about it being fireproof. I am ultimately looking at studs placed close together, probably covered with some sort of metal screen or sheet metal. The studs may be secured into a concrete basement floor. The walls will be covered in sheet rock or plywood, to make it look like an ordinary room. The door probably be a simple steel door, and I will be looking for a simple keypad entry. I am looking at a 5'x5' area for a few rifles, ammo, and other valuables.

These are just my preliminary thoughts. I am most interested in anyone else's DIY builds. Pics are greatly appreciated. I need to sell this to my wife, since it has to look presentable :D Thanks!

Any lessons learned or additional ideas are also welcome!

Parabellum9x19mm
12-21-08, 12:43
it will keep unauthorized hands off your guns, but sounds pretty easy to break into. all you would need would be a fire axe or sledge.

tullnd
12-21-08, 12:53
I know someone who did the whole old bank vault door into a concrete room in his basement when building his house.

His was all by luck though. He had a lead on a vault door from a bank being torn down about 2 months before construction started on his house. So he had it delivered after the foundation was poured. Didn't cost all that much as the extra forms of concrete were a minimal cost increase. The door was like $2000 or something.

But I know he had some issues with ventilation in the room when locked up. Mostly humidity related if he pumped heat in.

Verbal Kint
12-21-08, 12:57
Interesting that this thread came up. Just recently, on another forum I'm a member of, this same discussion popped up. The OP, over there, also wanted a safe room. His original idea ala-The-Munsters was wanting a stair case that raised up. lol

One suggestion was this (http://gizmodo.com/385546/ultimate-hidden-staircase-ideal-for-wannabe-bond-villains)... but the price tag was a bit too much for him, even with the cool factor. :D

Two of the better suggestions were the following links...

Link 1 (http://www.instructables.com/id/Hidden-Door-Bookshelf/)

Link 2 (http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/HiddenPivot_Bookcase_Door.html)

Out of sight... out of mind. Sure, someone with an axe (like stated above) could hack their way in. However, if you do it right, they'll never know it's there.

Maybe the above info will give you some ideas, if not a plan, to use in your own remodel/build. Good luck.

Parabellum9x19mm
12-21-08, 13:06
nice linkage.

a graffunder vault door in a steel reinforced concrete room, hidden behind a book shelf would be the ultimate, but alas, only in my dreams :(

nobletitus
12-21-08, 14:13
I was really looking at the cost vs. benefit factor. From my work (I am not a burglar ;) ), I can tell you that most burglars don't want to spend a whole lot of time in a place. They will typically use what's available and nearby. I had originally considered concrete walls and/or cinder blocks. But after talking with some friends who have built up several housing projects, the 2x4s could be made to be very secure with the proper reinforcement.

I never got to have my tree house or secret club house, so I am making up for lost time :D

it will keep unauthorized hands off your guns, but sounds pretty easy to break into. all you would need would be a fire axe or sledge.