PDA

View Full Version : Reloading 223 or trying.

Gemmemk1
12-21-08, 14:54
Can any one help me with the Hornady 223 die set? Thay are sticking in the resize die. I have used lube, but this is the third time now and I have yet to make one reloaded 223. I have sent the die back to have them remove stuck case. What am I doing wrong???I am also using the Hornady single press. It must be somthing that I am doing wrong!:confused:

UVvis
12-21-08, 15:30
What type of lube are you using, and where are you lubing the case?

What shell plate are you using?

5pins
12-21-08, 16:07
Are you using Hornady one shot lube?

Gemmemk1
12-21-08, 17:13
What type of lube are you using, and where are you lubing the case?

What shell plate are you using?
I have the Hornady classic reloading kit. It is a single stage press, it came with one shot lube that I spray on and finger the lube around the case and neck. It says to let it stand a short time and than size. I do not have a shell plate holder, I am using the shell holder that came with the 223 dies.

Scattergun
12-21-08, 17:30
I use the same stuff sometimes and have had no problems with it. Maybe you are not spraying enough on the brass.

shadowalker
12-21-08, 18:18
Stuck cases are not uncommon with one shot. You can try using more or another lube. You can get a stuck case remover kit as well, that way you don't have to send the die off to have the case removed.

You can also try some imperial sizing wax, you need very little of it. I brush the top with my finger and roll the brass between finger and thumb at the neck and the body. I can do 4-5 pieces of .308 brass before needing to get more wax on my finger.

R1pper
12-21-08, 18:18
I have the exact same set up. You need to use a liberal abmount of that stuff on 223 brass. I got a case stuck early on cause of not enough lube. What die set are you using and what shell holder are you using. I bought the New Dimension dies and they did not come with a shell holder. I had to buy shell holder mumber 16.

You will need to use a generous amount of lube, I found that out in the same manner you did. I was able to get the case out by using the instructions found in the Hornady reloading book (if your kit came with one)

-DM-

5pins
12-21-08, 21:49
Ditch the one shot that stuff is crap. I use RCBS case lube and role them on a lube pad.

Gemmemk1
12-21-08, 21:59
Thank you people for helping me get going. I will try other lubes and shell holders, I have some lube and pad coming. Thank you all for the info!!!!!!!:)

zippygaloo
12-21-08, 23:33
The guy in this .223 Case Preparation Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THOL_S7Hngs&feature=related) shows how to use Castrol Synthetic Oil as lube (starting at 4:25 in the video). It appears to work well. Does anybody have an opinion on using it for lube?

5pins
12-22-08, 01:53
The guy in this .223 Case Preparation Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THOL_S7Hngs&feature=related) shows how to use Castrol Synthetic Oil as lube (starting at 4:25 in the video). It appears to work well. Does anybody have an opinion on using it for lube?

I’m going to have to try it and see.

markm
12-22-08, 07:43
Ditch the one shot that stuff is crap.

There's nothing good to be said about one shot. :mad:

Vic303
12-22-08, 07:47
One Shot does not work well at all. Best lube out there is RCBS Case Lube and a roll pad. You can also get an RCBS lube die which works well on a Dillon 650 for .223/5.56 .

R1pper
12-22-08, 07:54
Ive been using the Dillon case lube and it works well

-DM-

Henchman
12-22-08, 11:50
Personally I like Imperial sizing die wax better than any other product that I have used. It makes the cases very slick and does not leave an oily residue for any thing to stick to. A can also lasts a long time.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=519525

sinister
12-22-08, 14:01
You need to use a sufficient amount of lube on your cases, otherwise your cases are going to get stuck. Running your finger over the case is insufficient unless you're using Imperial Sizing Die Wax and you're in low-rate reloading (maybe for a bolt rifle).

To size a good number of cases (let's say a hundred since that's how many primers come on a flat), put them in a plastic ("Paper or plastic?") grocery store bag or a gallon Zip-lock bag and give it a couple of good shots of 1-Shot or two or three spritzes of the Dillon. Close off the bag and work the cases well (get that stuff all over them).

Run the cases through your sizing die and then wipe off all the lube (I tumble the cases again to get all that stuff off).

Done.

markm
12-22-08, 14:31
I've had cases SOAKING in one shit shot fight me when resizing.

With Dillon, a little goes a long way, and it spreads over the whole casing. I can even resize a dry rifle case just on the amount remaining in the sizing die if I need to.

rat31465
12-22-08, 14:53
While the advice on using a new or different case lube is a good one...One other step you should take is to thoroughly clean the dies themselves. I do this with every new die set I obtain as well as after every few reloading sessions.
I use Hoppes number Nine Bore cleaner and or Breakfree's Powder Blaster taking the dies completely apart.
I have found some nasty looking crap inside new die sets that resemble cosmoline...I assume it is whatever lube that is used while the die set is being cut.
All I know is that this stuff is very sticky and could account for the problem that you mention. Also visually check the internals of the sizer die to see if there are any unpolished surfaces, machining marks etc.....Get a set of Redding dies and you wont ever regreat the purchase.

TomD
12-22-08, 15:09
Don't understand why some have problems with One Shot case lube as I've used it exclusively for years on thousands of rifle & pistol cases with NO failures. Buy it by the case, in fact. I stand rifle cases mouth up in a loading block & spray one side, turn 180 & spray the other side lubing both the outside of the case & the inside of the neck. Wait until the lube dries a bit before sizing. Also lightly spray pistol cases before sizing in tungsten dies. Runs so smooth you look to see if you actually put a case in the shell plate.

TomD
12-22-08, 15:19
Don't understand why some have problems with One Shot case lube as I've used it exclusively for years on thousands of rifle & pistol cases with NO failures. Buy it by the case, in fact. I stand rifle cases mouth up in a loading block & spray one side, turn 180 & spray the other side lubing both the outside of the case & the inside of the neck. Wait until the lube dries a bit before sizing. Also lightly spray pistol cases before sizing in tungsten dies. Runs so smooth you look to see if you actually put a case in the shell plate.

Good advice, rat. Also a good idea to periodically clean your dies, particularly the sizer as you load. After cleaning the sizer, I spray a bit of One Shot in the die to 'prime' it. I like One Shot as much as some dislike it, it appears. To each his own.

markm
12-22-08, 15:26
I've heard the aerosol doesn't suck as bad as the pump. Are you by chance running the aerosol?

Also... I've never lubed pistol brass. I'm loading 45/9/38/357 What pistol dies are you running?

Scattergun
12-22-08, 15:27

I am sure it would work, but I would think it would be hard to remove from the brass

TomD
12-22-08, 16:05
MarkM,

AFAIK, One Shot only comes as aerosol.

As to dies, I use Dillon in .45ACP & .40 S&W; Hornady in 9m/m & I forget what brand in .44 Mag and all are carbide which work without lube but I think you'll be amazed at how easy sizing is with the addition of a LITTLE lube. I sure was.

Would be glad to answer any questions via PM.

5pins
12-22-08, 16:52
MarkM,

As to dies, I use Dillon in .45ACP & .40 S&W; Hornady in 9m/m & I forget what brand in .44 Mag and all are carbide which work without lube but I think you'll be amazed at how easy sizing is with the addition of a LITTLE lube. I sure was.

No it comes in a pump also.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=112442

I used the aerosol years ago but only on 9mm when I was using steel dies. I can’t comment on how well it works on rifles. However I felt it didn’t go vary far for the price.

JStor
12-22-08, 17:41
Here's another vote for the Imperial Sizing Wax/Lube. A little goes a long way. Good stuff.

markm
12-23-08, 08:52
MarkM,

That makes sense with what I've read in the past. The aerosol seems to work better than the pump.

As far as pistol brass... I'm sure lubing would make resizing smoother. But I've never had an issue with running the cases dry. Plus I don't have to worry about removing the lube after the ammo is loaded.

Gemmemk1
12-23-08, 22:18

Good advice, rat. Also a good idea to periodically clean your dies, particularly the sizer as you load. After cleaning the sizer, I spray a bit of One Shot in the die to 'prime' it. I like One Shot as much as some dislike it, it appears. To each his own.

Are you reloading the 223 round and resizing it with one shot?

Firecop203
12-23-08, 23:49
Are you lubing inside the case neck as well?

Gemmemk1
12-24-08, 09:55
Are you lubing inside the case neck as well?

IN a Word NO, I was told not lube the inside of the neck. That may be the reson they are sticking.

Ttwwaack
12-24-08, 10:16
I ended up polishing my RCBS FL 223 die with 800-2000 wet/dry then some blue wonder. The die was tight in the neck and still is .244. My Redding's are GTG.

Lube - RCBS Case Lube 2 w/pad and Imperial for bolt guns.

After the brash starts getting hard I get inconsistant shoulder set back on 223 if I don't have a uniform coat lube of the case. I'm just setting the should back .002 on my AR brass and haven't had a problem yet with the bolt locking.

TomD
12-25-08, 10:37
MarkM, et al,

As previously stated, I stand rifle cartridges MOUTH UP in a loading block when lubing which does lube the inside of the case neck. I use Hornady New Dimension size die for .223 & .257 Robt. & wish all my rifle size dies were these, mainly for the elliptical expander ball which greatly reduces sizing effort & (I think) case stretch. I have NEVER removed the lube before loading with no detriment that I can discern. With rifle, I sometimes run the loaded rounds in a vibratory tumbler for a few minutes. With pistol, a small amount of lube with carbide dies significantly reduces sizing effort. Again, as previously stated, this has worked for me for years & thousand of rounds but each to his own.

POF.Ops
12-25-08, 15:06
I put the empty cases in a MTM case holder which holds 100 .223 cases. I then lube the cases with the aerosol Dillon Case Lube spray. I simply spray down over the tops of the cases which puts a thin coating on the inside and outside of the cases. Wait 5-10 minutes and start re-sizing. Works great.

markm
12-26-08, 07:51
IN a Word NO, I was told not lube the inside of the neck. That may be the reson they are sticking.

Not necessarily. If the lack of lube in the caseneck is a problem, you'll feel it on the "upstroke" of your cycle.

Most dies squeeze down the casemouth on the downstroke, then the expander ball opens the casemouth up on the upstroke. This is what causes most of the case stretch.

markm
12-26-08, 07:55
MarkM, et al,

As previously stated, I stand rifle cartridges MOUTH UP in a loading block when lubing which does lube the inside of the case neck. I use Hornady New Dimension size die for .223 & .257 Robt. & wish all my rifle size dies were these, mainly for the elliptical expander ball which greatly reduces sizing effort & (I think) case stretch. I have NEVER removed the lube before loading with no detriment that I can discern. With rifle, I sometimes run the loaded rounds in a vibratory tumbler for a few minutes. With pistol, a small amount of lube with carbide dies significantly reduces sizing effort. Again, as previously stated, this has worked for me for years & thousand of rounds but each to his own.

Indeed. I've loaded straight through without removing the lube too. These days though, I prefer to go ahead and tumble it off. Then I give the cases a final once over before I prime them.

Gemmemk1
12-27-08, 07:25
This is to let all of you know that with your help, we got the die running. We used another lube and sprayed from the top to lube the inside of the neck. Thank all of you for helping out. Great people!!!!!!!:)

m4fun
12-29-08, 16:19
I wish Gun-SAV-R would start making there Size-All aerosol again - never had any issues.

Using Dillon on brass in a baking pan - shake it around, spray again and let sit. I agree on the "let sit" advice.

xxTxxJxx
12-30-08, 21:21
+1 on using the RCBS lube its thick and oily have not had a single problem with stuck cases using it. another option would be to use Carbide competition Dies but they are pricey.

5pins
01-03-09, 22:53
I just tried using Synthetic motor oil and it worked very well. I just used it on my lube pad like I would with the RCBS. I did about 300 or so and it went great. Right now it’s in the case cleaner. I’m going to let it run for about two hours are so and see how it looks.

I also dumped out the Hornady one shot and cleaned out the bottle. I’m going let it dry over night and fill with the synthetic and try it as a spray and see how it works.

Turnkey11
01-04-09, 13:45
I gave up on the aerosol lubes and stick with the lube pad and a bottle of RCBS lube I found in my drawer. I also roll a nylon brush over the pad every 20-30 cases and give one push-pull through to lube the ID of the case neck, havent had a stuck case yet. One Shot was too inconsistent for me, and I got tired of drilling and tapping brass to get them out of my dies.

jstevens
01-05-09, 15:21
Not lubing the case neck will not make it stick in the die. The case neck will be expanded after firing and is sized down and pulled over the ball to size it to hold a bullet. I probably reload 5000 rifle rounds a year for twenty calibers and the best case lube I have ever used is Mobil 1 synthetic oil. I started using it ten years or so ago when I ran out of case lube- never stick a case, very little is required, wipes off easily and a quart lasts forever. I use it on the inside of the case necks as well with no problems at all.

Outlaw5
01-12-09, 14:26
Jstevens, what is the weight of the synthetic oil you use? Thanks V/R Outlaw5

HK_Shooter_03
01-17-09, 18:45
Get some Dillon lube.

coltm4sp1
01-17-09, 22:12
Ditch the one shot that stuff is crap. I use RCBS case lube and role them on a lube pad.

this has always worked for me

lal357
02-01-09, 08:55
i've used one shot for over 15 yrs and never had a problem .the place that tends to get missed is the bottom of the case that sits in the loading block i spay all sides rotating the block all the way around never had a stuck case in 23 yrs of reloading . i do midways mica to lube the case mouth for bullet seating .use to use rcbs pad but couldnt stand the stickyness (sp) of the case and in the dies.
as stated earlier its a good pactice to clean the dies from time to time never knew how much tarsh get up in them .

mechanicus
02-06-09, 22:22

agree w/5 pins. bottle of rcbs lasts forever and i never get stuck cases (knock on wood). i cut a little square of paper towel big enough to roll the case on and lay it on a small pane of glass on my table just to the left of the press. few squirts to saturate the towel and it sticks to the glass and makes a perfect blotter. Not sopping wet - there's a just right amount. one blotter load and i can do 100 223 cases or so before refreshing - don't overdo it - no need for slobbering wetness - just a light coating will do. i also use a small round ladies mascara brush for lubing inside the neck. roll the case, then pick it up and swab the inside with the mascara brush. Then as you put it in the shell holder, use your oily finger finger to lightly, and i mean lightly, lube all around the neck. no lube on the shoulder or excess lube on the neck or you'll get "case dents". quick squirt of brake cleaner up the die every so often to rinse out the build-up. hope this helps.
ps i am going to try the synthetic motor oil. it works good to on your bolt carrier assy, heck it may be the do-all lube for the gun nut.