PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever had to swap a defective lower

RD62
12-21-08, 15:39
Hey guys. I have a new stripped lower that I believe has the bolt catch slot improperly machined. I have tried two known good bolt catches and they will not fit into the slot without significant pressure, and then the catch binds enough as to make bolt hold open a gamble at best. I was just able to confirm this condition today, and have since contacted the dealer (who has been very helpful) and emailed and attempted to call the manufacturer. I will have to attempt contact with the manufacturer again tomorrow during normal business hours.

Anyway, I wondered if anyone here could shed some light on the process required if I have to swap out lowers? Do I need to send the new one through my FFL? Or if they are able to serialize one the same as the defective one can it be shipped straight to me? Anyone here had to do this before?

Thanks!

-RD62

Parabellum9x19mm
12-21-08, 15:46
had a similar problem with a billet lower.

contact the manufacturer. they might be able to open the channel enough for the catch to fit. if that's unacceptable, have them send you an in-spec lower. you will need to go thru a FFL in that event.

good luck.

RD62
12-21-08, 16:28
If they can fix it, that'd be fine. I hope to be able to speak with them tomorrow. I'd prefer not to have to go through another transfer, etc. But we'll see.

-RD62

carl15
12-21-08, 17:40
I had 3 Stag lowers swapped with the same serial number for misaligned grip screw holes. They e-mailed me a lable , dropped it off at the UPS store and it arrived to my door step in about 3 months. For this service I am very partial to stag. I also hear they do the same if you accidently break off an ear.

Robb Jensen
12-21-08, 18:49
The first AR that I ever assembled was out of spec. It was a cast Essential Arms in 1987 and the buffer retainer pin hole was machined too far rearward. It would cause the buffer to get all chewed up. Essential Arms replaced it free under warranty.

Your problem most likely could easily be made to work with getting a few bolt catches and making them fit using a milling machine to thin down the bolt catches.

But if this is a new lower that you just bought you should first see if the manufacturer and/or dealer will replace the lower for you.

RD62
12-21-08, 19:03
The first AR that I ever assembled was out of spec. It was a cast Essential Arms in 1987 and the buffer retainer pin hole was machined too far rearward. It would cause the buffer to get all chewed up. Essential Arms replaced it free under warranty.

Your problem most likely could easily be made to work with getting a few bolt catches and making them fit using a milling machine to thin down the bolt catches.

But if this is a new lower that you just bought you should first see if the manufacturer and/or dealer will replace the lower for you.

Thanks. That's pretty much the case. I could probably make it work. It's more should I have to make it work. I don't have a mill, but could probably find someone who could do it.

-RD62

RD62
12-22-08, 12:38
Got an email first thing this AM from the manufacturer issuing an RMA and stating they would check it out and if it was defective they would replace it. They paid return shipping. So far they have been very responsive and very apologetic. I am pretty happy with how both the dealer and manufacturer are stepping up. With the holidays I expect it to take a couple of weeks, before it is fully resolved. But even with the holidays and high demand all companies of this type are seeing, I feel I am getting the proper attention. I was told since this was warranty type work, I could ship it straight to them and they could ship straight back with no issues. And for once didn't get any grief shipping it UPS. I'll let y'all know how it all works out. Thanks for the help!

-RD62

RWK
12-22-08, 17:54
I RMA'd a RRA lower earlier this year due to an out-of-spec magazine well. They paid the shipping costs both ways and I had a new lower at my door within 10 days.

If it's your gun, you can ship it to an FFL and receive it back from the same. For example: if you wanted some custom work done to it you could ship it to a gunsmith (provided they have an FFL) and they could ship it directly back to you once the work is done.

RD62
12-22-08, 18:01
I RMA'd a RRA lower earlier this year due to an out-of-spec magazine well. They paid the shipping costs both ways and I had a new lower at my door within 10 days.

If it's your gun, you can ship it to an FFL and receive it back from the same. For example: if you wanted some custom work done to it you could ship it to a gunsmith (provided they have an FFL) and they could ship it directly back to you once the work is done.

Yeah, I've done the custom work thing before, and shipped from and to me. But this is a possible replacement lower, with different serial number, so I wasn't sure how that was gonna work. And I seem to find that more often than not, I am more aware of UPS/Fed Ex's shipping regulations and the laws regarding the shipping of firearms, than the folks who are paid employees of the companies.

-RD62