PDA

View Full Version : South Korea-Poland arms deal

Slater
07-28-22, 16:31
South Korea seems to be on the way to becoming a major player in the world arms market. I believe their K2 Black Panther tank uses the same engine , transmission, and gun as Germany's Leopard II, although with less sophisticated electronics.

"In its biggest arms export deal ever, the Republic of Korea (ROK) will sell Poland 180 K2 tanks, 48 FA-50 light fighter jets, and about 670 K9 self-propelled artillery pieces, Chun In-Bum, a retired ROK lieutenant general and former head of that nation’s special operations forces tells The War Zone. The deal, worth upwards of $14.5 billion according to Defense News, comes as Poland looks to replace the arms it has shipped to Ukraine for that nation’s fight against Russia. The deal could prove highly significant for both the ROK and Poland.

“This is the biggest single sale of Korean weapons so far,” Chun told The War Zone Monday morning. “The K9 is probably the best artillery system in the world only rivaled by the German system. The FA-50 is a combat version of the T-50 which has gained a reputation for being the best trainer in the world. The K2 tank in its latest version will be better than anything South Korea has to date.”

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/big-south-korea-polish-arms-deal-includes-fa-50-fighters-k2-tanks-k9-howitzers

mack7.62
07-28-22, 18:04
Not sure how much I am buying the "less sophisticated electronics" story being as how it's coming from butt hurt Leopard II employees. But let's get real here, even if it doesn't have gold plated Leopard II electronics I'd bet it still outclasses the Russian T-90 or T-14 by a wide margin and one thing the K2 will not come with is fine print in the contract stating "you can only use this tank against those Germany allows you to defend against". Also that 180 is only the ones they are getting from Korea, by 2026 they will be building them in Poland. Also I believe Norway is going to be testing the K2 against the Leopard II, that might be interesting.

Also interesting about the K9, as of 2022, the K9 series has had a 69% share of the global 155 mm self-propelled howitzer market since the year 2000.[

SteyrAUG
07-28-22, 18:59
I think we should all support South Korea in this effort and demand Biden approve K1 and K2 rifles for import to the US.

lowprone
07-28-22, 19:15
I absolutely agree !

utahjeepr
07-28-22, 19:50
I think we should all support South Korea in this effort and demand Biden approve K1 and K2 rifles for import to the US.

I've seen the ROK rifles but not real familiar with 'em. I'll take your word on it though.

I'll take one of those Kia KM450 trucks to update my M715 if we're shopping ROK military equipment.

SteyrAUG
07-28-22, 21:26
I've seen the ROK rifles but not real familiar with 'em. I'll take your word on it though.

I'll take one of those Kia KM450 trucks to update my M715 if we're shopping ROK military equipment.

Honestly, for a quasi AR piston rifle they were actually damn nice. Sorta like a AR-180 without the cheap stamping production methods. Took standard AR mags, accuracy was better than a Mini 14 but not quite enough to be in the same league as an AR.

Had both but sold the K1 because I liked the K2 better, then prices went extra crazy and I sold the K2 because I had an Armalite (Howa) 180. I got a really good price and at the time really needed the money, but I wish I still had a K2. If we had normal import laws they would probably sell for about $750.

ThirdWatcher
08-01-22, 03:30

This old 8th Army soldier couldn’t agree more with you. I am so proud of the progress the Koreans have made in the past generation.

No greater ally or worse enemy than the ROK Army.

SteyrAUG
08-01-22, 19:20
This old 8th Army soldier couldn’t agree more with you. I am so proud of the progress the Koreans have made in the past generation.

No greater ally or worse enemy than the ROK Army.

My favorite thing about the ROK is their "military" TKD black belts. Every once in awhile they end up in a room with a bunch of other guys who hear only "tae kwon do black belt" and assume they are just another 8 month trainee and then when the sparring starts, somebody gets the dust blown off them.

They really should come with warning signs.

SeriousStudent
08-01-22, 20:04
My favorite thing about the ROK is their "military" TKD black belts. Every once in awhile they end up in a room with a bunch of other guys who hear only "tae kwon do black belt" and assume they are just another 8 month trainee and then when the sparring starts, somebody gets the dust blown off them.

Watching the ROK Marines do PT in the morning was always fun. :)

ThirdWatcher
08-01-22, 22:19

When I was over there (‘73-‘75) I noted that a lot of Korean’s were taught Tae Kwon Do at a pretty young age. A lot of the young ones spoke English as well. They wore uniforms to school and they showed respect for their elderly. The Tiger Troops and the White Horse Division were greatly respected. I developed a great deal of respect for the (South) Koreans.

gsd2053
08-01-22, 23:19
When I was over there (‘73-‘75) I noted that a lot of Korean’s were taught Tae Kwon Do at a pretty young age. A lot of the young ones spoke English as well. They wore uniforms to school and they showed respect for their elderly. The Tiger Troops and the White Horse Division were greatly respected. I developed a great deal of respect for the (South) Koreans.

A lot of their younger generation is as ignorant as ours. They are commie brain washed.

SteyrAUG
08-02-22, 00:18
A lot of their younger generation is as ignorant as ours. They are commie brain washed.

Serious question, were you there? I ask because I never was. But that is in contrast to what most people who served at places like Cassey tell me. I'm sure like most populations, there is a whackadoo contingent who is "yay communism" but given their proximity to the crazy Norks and how many times they must practice Armageddon Day drills over the years, I can't imagine there being too many who are in any way fond of the commies.

Most guys I know who did a tour of Korea come back with a new understanding of everything. First surprise to new guys is that they still regularly trade fire across the border.

utahjeepr
08-03-22, 08:53
In my limited experience ROK Marines see the Norks only as "The Enemy". They literally expect war to break out at any moment and train with that in mind.

The overall culture sees the North Korean people as family held hostage by the Kims. The connection and sense of kinship declines markedly amongst younger South Koreans. Similar to Taiwan, younger South Koreans care less about the "whole" and have less interest in reunification. They see themselves as a separate culture.

SteyrAUG
08-03-22, 17:33
In my limited experience ROK Marines see the Norks only as "The Enemy". They literally expect war to break out at any moment and train with that in mind.

The overall culture sees the North Korean people as family held hostage by the Kims. The connection and sense of kinship declines markedly amongst younger South Koreans. Similar to Taiwan, younger South Koreans care less about the "whole" and have less interest in reunification. They see themselves as a separate culture.

It would be nice if the Kim's would just go away and Korea could become a completely free state. But as with German reunification there would be a shit ton of problems, least of which would be 25 million people who desperately need a sandwich.