PDA

View Full Version : Which first? (light,optic,sling,ect...)

parishioner
12-21-08, 17:49
Im trying to save for my next AR "accessory" and Im debating which to get first. Im sorry if this has been discussed before which Im sure it has, but how do you guys rank the level of importance of say a sling, railed handguard, optic, and a light?

Avenger29
12-21-08, 18:12
Because my eyes need some help, and I needed some night sighting capability, I placed first priority on an optic.

Scored a used Aimpoint 5000 the other day for $100 even. Now, I just need to mount and zero it...

I also picked up one of those Surefire G2Ls a couple of months ago. Nice light. Gotta mount it, though, but I'm going to wait until I get a rail system.

The rail system is next. I've got an eye on a VLTOR CASV-EL or the Daniel Defense Omega system...

Finally, once I get all that together, then I'll get a good sling. Vickers VTAC or similar...

But that's a ways down the road for me...and probably time to upgrade to a nicer Aimpoint and move the 5000 to my Marlin 336...

Failure2Stop
12-21-08, 18:23
Light.
As long as you have servicable iron sights at least.
A light can be used with standard iron sights very well.
A 1X optic does the same thing your irons do, just a little easier and faster. A 1X optic will not help you ID a threat (pretty important). A mounted light is the most helpful accessory for HD, with the 1X optic in second.

A very practical and effective solution can be put together for relatively little money. Budget will determine size/output. A rail system helps with mounting, but is not essential.

BWYoda
12-21-08, 18:39
I think your next purchase will be dictated by what you plan to do. If you're signed up for a carbine course for example, a sling would take precedence over buying an optic or surefire

RWK
12-21-08, 18:52
Im trying to save for my next AR "accessory" and Im debating which to get first. Im sorry if this has been discussed before which Im sure it has, but how do you guys rank the level of importance of say a sling, railed handguard, optic, and a light?

Second to BWYoda, what are you using the AR for? If it's being used as a "go to" weapon, I'm with F2S: get a light.

parishioner
12-22-08, 16:28
Yea, its going to be my go to weapon so I am going to put a light on it. My logic is that I know Im going to get a handguard because I want to free float the barrel, so rather than buying a mount for the FSB Im thinking I should just buy a DD omega, throw that on and then get a light. Idk, I'll see. Unless they make a mount that you can attach to an FSB and a rail, I could get the light first. Anyway, thanks for the help!

Jay Cunningham
12-22-08, 16:40

Professional Training

Iraqgunz
12-22-08, 16:54
Get a light first and then a sling. You can actually make a decent sling by getting 1" tubular nylon from Sports Chalet or similar stores and ladder locks. I have made a few that way. Once you have enough money saved for an optic spend it on getting a good block of training instead. Crawl, walk, run.

parishioner
12-22-08, 17:00
Once you have enough money saved for an optic spend it on getting a good block of training instead. Crawl, walk, run.

Thanks guys, that is the plan. Next step, earn money.

DWood
12-22-08, 18:21
You can spend $70 to $500 on a "light". I would buy a Surefire G2 led and Viking Tactical mount for +/- $70 and then be looking for a red dot optic.

parishioner
12-22-08, 18:40
You can spend $70 to $500 on a "light". I would buy a Surefire G2 led and Viking Tactical mount for +/- $70 and then be looking for a red dot optic.

Yea, that definitley is the cheaper route but if I know eventually I am going to upgrade the light I would hate just wasting the money I put into the cheaper light light set up. Its sort of like what my dad tells me over and over "if your going to take the time to do something, do it right the first time". If I knew I wasnt going to upgrade, the G2 would be fine.

Littlebear
12-22-08, 18:50
For a "go to" carbine; I opted for a decent two-point sling as the first addition.
A light might come next, optics last. The only other "upgrades were improved extractor kit (o-rings) and front post night sight. Not the most "tacticool" set-up, but it serves my needs well.
Plenty of quality ammo and mags are also a good investment...

parishioner
12-22-08, 21:54

Actually, after thinking long and hard about how my weapon will be used, I dont think I really need an upgraded light. I think a g2 will work just fine for what I will be doing. Thanks Dwood.

Patrick Henry
12-23-08, 01:51
Don't dismiss a G2 so easily. I have several Surefire G2s that I converted over using the CREE LED heads and they are B-R-I-G-H-T!! You can get the conversion units for as little as $12 and they go up from there. Gander Mountain had a sale on G2s in Realtree camouflage for $25. So for about $40 delivered, you can have a very usable light on a budget.

Of course, if you have money bursting out the orifices, by all means spend $450+ on a light (that may not be any brighter than a G2/CREE light). The economy could use the stimulus. ;)

rob_s
12-23-08, 05:13
If you're headed to training (at least training with anyone other than the "you don't need a sling" nuts) then I'd pick up a sling.

What I'd suggest is, in order:
Sling
Training
Light
RDS

If your training has a low-light portion you may need the light before the class, but IMHO training is the most important piece of the puzzle and you'll need (at the minimum) a rifle, sling, magazines, a way to carry the magazines, and ammo for pretty much any competent training.

Mung
12-23-08, 06:35
A sling unless you're going to just sit at the range. Not fun humping it around when you don't have to.

DWood
12-23-08, 09:30
Actually, after thinking long and hard about how my weapon will be used, I dont think I really need an upgraded light. I think a g2 will work just fine for what I will be doing. Thanks Dwood.

I think you will be just fine with that set up. I alos have a Pentagon x3 that is reasonable and brighter, but the G2 does everything I need it to. Pay a little more for the LED version.

As stated by others, you need a sling if going to training, but your question was about priritizing your purchases.

markm
12-23-08, 09:58
A light for sure.... if the gun is for defensive use.

An Israeli sling is $19, and very versatile.

C4IGrant
12-23-08, 10:01
I like the training comment (which is true), and if you go that route, you will need a good sling.

If you are not going to training, then get a light first and then a dot optic.

C4

BWYoda
12-23-08, 10:18
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=Viking+Light+Mount+Black

Some guys will have their own preferences, but as far as mounting is concerned, I like the VTAC mount. I played with the pressure pads and couldn't live with them. With this one you can activate the switch with your thumb. Just a suggestion.

LTPhoon
12-23-08, 10:20
I got a Blue Force Gear Vickers sling for Christmas last year for my month-old 6920. Two of my friends went out and got an AR15 as well (a DPMS and a Stag 2L..nobody listens...) and we want to go to some training this summer if we can afford it. So, I'm with rob s on the first two at present.

parishioner
12-23-08, 11:32
Thanks for all of the feedback. Yes, I would LOVE to get some training because I believe in order to use the weapon effectively you must have training. The only trouble is I am a college student so money isn't the most plentiful thing for me or a lot of people for that matter. I scrounged every penny I could for the past 6 months so I could finally get an upper - my girlfriend was always wondering why we never went out to eat. Shhh, dont tell. Anyway, I have some christmas money already and I might get some more so I was just wondering what I should invest in for my rifle. After reading everyones posts I think I will get a sling and a light and whenever I can afford training and all the gear you have to buy for that, I certainly will do. Thanks again.