PDA

View Full Version : Handguard replacement

John Wist
12-21-08, 19:31
I want to replace the standard A-2 style handguarg on my stag arms M-4 with a rail system. I assume I can just swap them out without any special modifications or do I need special tools to di this? Also can anyone recomend a good quality company I can order the rail handguard from?
Thanks and I love this site. :p

bkb0000
12-21-08, 19:57
the tools you'll need will depend on the type of guard you get. most rails are free float and almost always require complete dissassmbly of the barrel including FSB and muzzle device. check out the DD omega for a good drop-in FF rail.http://www.danieldefense.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=116

somebody will post a link to brownell's AR do-it-yourself videos im sure- they're a good place to start.

daniel defense is my favorite, larue is a widely loved guard, superior weapon systems makes Noveske's guards and do exceptional finish machining. those are what i call the "best."

http://danieldefense.com/
http://larue.com/
http://superiorweaponssystems.com/

AirmanAtwood
12-21-08, 20:27
If you want to go the cheaper route. Troy DI handguards are great. You can just swap your handguard with these with zero modification.
I assume you know how to remove the handguards but if not, you need to pull the delta ring all the way down*this can be tough* and they should come right out. If you have an assistant to pull the handguards out so u can use both hands on the d-ring it will be less hell on your hands.

John_Wayne777
12-21-08, 20:29
I want to replace the standard A-2 style handguarg on my stag arms M-4 with a rail system. I assume I can just swap them out without any special modifications or do I need special tools to di this? Also can anyone recomend a good quality company I can order the rail handguard from?

Rail systems are a world unto themselves. Many require completely disassembling the upper receiver to install. Some simply drop in place in minutes.

To make a decision on a rail system you need to know which type you are going to go with. The Daniel Defense Omega rails fit nicely on an M4gery in minutes with no permanent modification of the weapon and they are actually a true free-float rail system since they lock in around the barrel nut. All you need to install them is a screwdriver and perhaps the special handguard tool for the AR's. The DD rails are the best of the rail systems that require no permanent modification of the weapon, IMO.

If you want to go with one of the other DD rails or a LaRue rail or something similar, you'll likely want a pro to install it for you as it requires a lot of detail work and special tools.

OneKYards
12-23-08, 11:52

I ordered the Omega Rail 7.0 from http://www.HarrisTacticalOnline.com and installed on my Stag M4. All I needed was a flat head screwdriver. Ended up with the FDE color. Bad to the Bone!

sdacbob
12-23-08, 12:11
The Vltor CASV-EL is also a nice one. Have that on my LMT and a DD Omega 7.0 on my S&W 5.45 upper.

OneKYards
12-23-08, 12:17
Yes, VLTOR makes some bad ass stuff as well. Very nice set-up on both

gogetal3
12-29-08, 20:05
I own a RRA tac entry 5.56/.223 LAR-15 carbine. I also want to replace my handguards, but with Vltor CASV-EL FF handguards. It's the piggyback mounted system. I have also looked into the DD Omega rails. My question is simple........will the Vltor handguards work with my rifle? My concern is the length and height issue. Thank you ahead of time for any feedback and support.

bkb0000
12-29-08, 20:33
will the Vltor handguards work with my rifle?

it'll work. you gotta get some pmags, mang.

ETA and your weapon's hot.

ETA as in, your safety's disengaged.

AirmanAtwood
12-29-08, 20:38

SHHHHHH. dont tell him that...it leaves more for us ;)
haha jk
yea definitley get some pmags

gogetal3
12-29-08, 20:51
Thanks for the quick response! Your right on the Pmag issue, that mag is empty in the pic. It was for aesthetic reasons.....to look "bad ass"........(shrug) I prefer to keep handguns for home defense at the ready. I find the handgun trigger accomodates my grogginess far superior. So I don't normally chamber any rounds in my rifle at home. The rifle doesn't allow you to select safe unless a round is chambered and rifle is charged...which neither applied. No excuse though

gogetal3
12-29-08, 21:30
just ordered my casv-el, and a ML3 aimpoint.......I can't wait

bkb0000
12-29-08, 21:42
SHHHHHH. dont tell him that...it leaves more for us ;)
haha jk
yea definitley get some pmags

i knew a guy named Atwood once... he borrowed 80 bucks from me "till tomorrow," and went AWOL the next day.

i want my 80 bucks

Iraqgunz
12-30-08, 04:24
Is that a Chi-COG sight?

Iraqgunz
12-30-08, 04:25
Looks like the bolt is locked to the rear as well.

ETA and your weapon's hot.

ETA as in, your safety's disengaged.

citizensoldier16
12-30-08, 21:03
Looks like the bolt is locked to the rear as well.

How can you tell if the ejection port is on the other side? Are you looking at the bolt catch/release angle?

xxTxxJxx
12-30-08, 21:33
if you get drop in rails yes all you have to do is swap them out. if you get FF rails it will depend on the design of them some snap in to the Delta ring some have their own locking ring that replaces the Delta Ring and then some you just cut the Delta Ring off and they clamp on to the barrel nut, before choosing a FF handguard you need to decide exactly how much work you want to do or how much you want to pay someone else to install them.

AirmanAtwood
01-24-09, 23:24
i knew a guy named Atwood once... he borrowed 80 bucks from me "till tomorrow," and went AWOL the next day.

i want my 80 bucks

haha I'll tell you what.. Give me 5 pmags and I'll give you 80 bucks.

WS6
01-25-09, 05:22
haha I'll tell you what.. Give me 5 pmags and I'll give you 80 bucks.

Haha, that would be a good deal. I just did the math and assuming you mean windowed PMAG's, you would be getting .5 PMAG's more per $80 than I did when I ordered $300 worth about 3 weeks ago.

AirmanAtwood
01-25-09, 10:36
Haha, that would be a good deal. I just did the math and assuming you mean windowed PMAG's, you would be getting .5 PMAG's more per $80 than I did when I ordered $300 worth about 3 weeks ago.

3 Windowed and 2 non would make me a very satisfied young man.

teufeldog
01-25-09, 14:00
I ordered the Omega Rail 7.0 from http://www.HarrisTacticalOnline.com and installed on my Stag M4. All I needed was a flat head screwdriver. Ended up with the FDE color. Bad to the Bone!

Do you have pics of your rifle with these FDE Omega's?