PDA

View Full Version : BCG Question, but not the normal one

BVickery
08-05-22, 15:08
I am looking for a BCG, and if I was getting best ones, would just grab a Sionics and be done with it.

I am looking for a BCG for a plinking rifle. I don't need it to work 100% of the time, life is not on the line etc. But at the same time I really don't want one that is breaking every few rounds for one reason or another. Something like a Cross Machine Tool or Anderson fit the bill?

okie
08-05-22, 15:22
Toolcraft has some pretty affordable options. I've also had good luck with Brownells branded AR parts if they still have any in stock.

kirkland
08-05-22, 15:48
PSA has got a "daily deal" on a nitrided BCG for $70 right now

georgeib
08-05-22, 15:59
Easy button:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-custom-full-auto-phosphate-bolt-carrier-group-by-microbest.html

Microbest BCG at PSA. Made by the same OEM and to the same specs as the SOLGW BCG. $100 free shipping.

markm
08-05-22, 16:48
The AO I got from AR15Discounts.com has been great. $75 recently. I've been running it every weekend for a few months now. Some gays were not happy that it didn't have markings, but I've not seen any shortfalls so far.

sva01
08-05-22, 17:03
The AO I got from AR15Discounts.com has been great. $75 recently. I've been running it every weekend for a few months now. Some gays were not happy that it didn't have markings, but I've not seen any shortfalls so far.

Saved for posterity! ;)

georgeib
08-05-22, 17:08
The AO I got from AR15Discounts.com has been great. $75 recently. I've been running it every weekend for a few months now. Some gays were not happy that it didn't have markings, but I've not seen any shortfalls so far.I've got about 1000 rounds with my AO Precision BCG. Has been GTG after I swapped the original gas rings back in, after initial issues due to a McFarland gas ring I'd foolishly installed.

So yes, the AO Precision BCG has been GTG so far. Available at Ar15discounts.com.

Disciple
08-05-22, 17:18
Brownells Nitride M16 BCG (http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/bolt-carrier-groups/m16-bolt-carrier-group-5-56x45mm-nitride-mp-sku078102001-105377-202837.aspx). $94 with coupon "10off100" and "Guaranteed Forever."

flenna
08-05-22, 17:44
You guys better quit with the links to BCG sales. I have this weird addiction where it takes all my will power to NOT buy a quality BCG that is on sale. You know, in case I need an extra one or six.

HKGuns
08-05-22, 17:54
You guys better quit with the links to BCG sales. I have this weird addiction where it takes all my will power to NOT buy a quality BCG that is on sale. You know, in case I need an extra one or six.

Yeah tell me about it. STOP [emoji1630] please.

okie
08-05-22, 18:22
PSA has got a "daily deal" on a nitrided BCG for $70 right now

Nice. I wouldn't hesitate to put that in a range toy.

ABNAK
08-05-22, 18:23
I am looking for a BCG, and if I was getting best ones, would just grab a Sionics and be done with it.

I am looking for a BCG for a plinking rifle. I don't need it to work 100% of the time, life is not on the line etc. But at the same time I really don't want one that is breaking every few rounds for one reason or another. Something like a Cross Machine Tool or Anderson fit the bill?

Indeed there is a Cross Machine & Tool according to Google, but the first thing that crossed my mind was Continental Machine & Tool, which actually was a USGI parts contractor at one time.

pag23
08-05-22, 20:24
Saved for posterity! ;)

Wonder if it was rainbow hued? Lol

OutofBatt3ry
08-05-22, 20:30

??????? I like BCG's that are 100% reliable 100% of the time. Nothing fancy. Toolcraft? $100ish. Why is this a topic?

JediGuy
08-05-22, 21:12
https://www.peacegeek.net/product-p/z-0276.htm

DG23
08-06-22, 10:41
??????? I like BCG's that are 100% reliable 100% of the time. Nothing fancy. Toolcraft? $100ish. Why is this a topic?

Zero issues with any of my Toolcraft stuff thus far. Good quality at a fair price...

:)

rainman
08-06-22, 12:01
Aim Surplus has these for ~$50...

https://aimsurplus.com/products/white-label-armory-223-5-56-nitride-bolt-carrier-group?mc_cid=1910522853&mc_eid=f186521e20

-Rainman

Straight Shooter
08-06-22, 15:25
Indeed there is a Cross Machine & Tool according to Google, but the first thing that crossed my mind was Continental Machine & Tool, which actually was a USGI parts contractor at one time.

CMT makes awesome stuff..Ive seen Stick vouch for them too, I think he knows the owner IF Im not mistaken.
Ive got a 17" rail from them that is nice. AND..they are fellow Tennesseans like us!

BVickery
08-06-22, 15:39

Because for a range gun for me, I'm not worried if my gun goes bang for a range toy. I am very much concerned if my HD rifle fails to do the same.

Also, thanks for the ar15discount. They have Toolcraft BCGs on sale.

IALoder
08-06-22, 16:32
Toolcraft and AO Precision have done very well for me!

Stickman
08-06-22, 18:31

https://aimsurplus.com/products/white-label-armory-223-5-56-nitride-bolt-carrier-group?mc_cid=1910522853&mc_eid=f186521e20

-Rainman

I was just about to post that, thanks for saving me from looking up the link!!

Then again, the recent Glock 19 barrels from Aim Surplus that I received were complete crap and won't feed, so at a certain point cheap things are cheap for a reason....

Stickman
08-06-22, 18:32
CMT makes awesome stuff..Ive seen Stick vouch for them too, I think he knows the owner IF Im not mistaken.
Ive got a 17" rail from them that is nice. AND..they are fellow Tennesseans like us!

Yes, Jeff Cross is a veteran, and so is his beautiful wife. They are not only good people, but Jeff absolutely obsesses over the QC of his product. Things like that make it easy to recommend them!

ABNAK
08-08-22, 17:19
Yes, Jeff Cross is a veteran, and so is his beautiful wife. They are not only good people, but Jeff absolutely obsesses over the QC of his product. Things like that make it easy to recommend them!

Are they any relation to Continental Machine and Tool? Or is the name just a coincidence? i.e. maybe they bought the rights to or are successors of the original CMT?

markm
08-08-22, 17:51
Saved for posterity! ;)

Yeah... If it fails, I'd own the fact that I bought a $75 BCG and bet wrong, but so far so good. I'll keep running every week until I can't stand it.

Wonder if it was rainbow hued? Lol

They do sell some goofy shit on that sight. I think I saw that carrier in an email.

Disciple
08-08-22, 18:04
You might want to read the quoted post again carefully. lol

Pappabear
08-08-22, 18:11
Yea, I bought two spares a minute ago. Gotta have a BCG or two on hand. Mine were about $100 but look staked well and have HPT-MPI markings. AO Phosphate T5 AOM16

PB

SteveL
08-09-22, 13:37
I've got about 1000 rounds with my AO Precision BCG. Pretty much all full auto. Has been GTG after I swapped the original gas rings back in, after initial issues due to a McFarland gas ring I'd foolishly installed.

So yes, the AO Precision BCG has been GTG so far. Available at Ar15discounts.com.

I made the mistake of trying a McFarland one-piece gas ring several years back. It took a properly functioning rifle and turned it into a malfunction machine, to the tune of more than 10 malfunctions per magazine. After about two mags I pulled the bolt out, put the original gas rings back in, and left the McFarland laying in the dirt.

georgeib
08-09-22, 13:47
I made the mistake of trying a McFarland one-piece gas ring several years back. It took a properly functioning rifle and turned it into a malfunction machine, to the tune of more than 10 malfunctions per magazine. After about two mags I pulled the bolt out, put the original gas rings back in, and left the McFarland laying in the dirt.

Yeah, it's a weird thing how it works in some and not in others. I've had one for probably 10k rounds in a BCM BCG and haven't had a single issue. The AOP BCG seems to have a tight bore, even with standard rings, and when I installed the McFarland and ran a couple mags FA, it expanded and stopped the bolt from moving inside the carrier.

turnburglar
08-09-22, 18:12
It's ok to buy cheap BCG's just make sure that whoever you are buying them from has a good return policy.

I recently bought like 4 el cheapo BCG's from 2 different vendors. Only one was bad, and it short stroked immediately. I simply returned it, got a new BCG and that one ran fine. I remember watching a YT video with a highly regarded AR builder that talked about their own QC process. If you buy a BCG from them it has been fired 3 times and a full rifle has a grand total of 9 rounds. So I think I can easily do my own QC process. As an added piece of insurance if you get a cheap BCG just throw in a colt or spring co extractor spring with the insert.

markm
08-10-22, 09:27
It's ok to buy cheap BCG's just make sure that whoever you are buying them from has a good return policy.

I won't buy a BCG that's not mil spec/TDP no matter how cheap. The risk on the BCG some of us bought was that the dealer was fraudulent in what the BCG really was. There's nothing I've seen to indicate the BCG isn't legit because they sell their clown products under the correct description, but again, I don't have superman vision to see a spectrum analysis of the bolt steel.

Dutch110
08-12-22, 14:03

-Rainman

I picked up a few of these as spares. They are impressive to be honest. And I am a BCG snob. No tooling marks. Staking is decent. No cheap gas key screws (even if I do prefer OCKS) Phosphate extractor. Billet gas key. The nitride finish isn't as nice as the same H&M ones on my RCA's but it's nice and even. My guess is these are either Microbest or Toolcraft.