PDA

View Full Version : New Benelli M4 range report

SubSolar
12-21-08, 22:55
Took the new M4 to an outdoor range today. I'm pleased to report it cycled a variety of shells without a hiccup. Probably went through about 70 rounds. With Federal Tactical 00 with FLITECONTROL, I could easily hit 8" metal silhouettes offhand at 50 yards and sometimes 75 yards. Seemed like it spread out too much or lost too much oomph at 100 yards, I couldn't hear it hitting at that range and could see the pellets hitting the dirt around it. The Federal 00's are known for having the tightest groupings but they are slightly longer than other 2.75" shells. I can only fit 4 in the magazine tube. I will try some Hornady's as they are shorter and reportedly fit 5 in the tube for 5+1+1. Oh yeah, I also tried some 3" 00 and could noticeably feel the difference in recoil.

I bench rested it for 100 yards with some Winchester Super X Hollow Point Rifled Slugs and could hit the metal silhouette almost every time. Not bad for no optics and the first time for me shooting slugs. I'll try it with some Federal Tactical slugs when I get my hands on some.

The gun is very easy to break down and clean for a semiauto shottie. Much easier than my Dad's Remington 1100. Overall I'm very pleased even though I spent a fortune for this thing. I figured it being semiauto and having a pistol grip would make it a future target for the Obammunists. It's my new go-to-gun for home defense. Here's some pics:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3080/3126689372_e6fcf3a8fa.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3252/3126412753_d69c03a3d8.jpg

CobraBG
12-22-08, 08:52
Very nice... I have a M1 Super 90 and wish I could afford a M4.

Glorybigs
12-23-08, 23:25
Next step http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16367

SubSolar
12-24-08, 05:16
Next step http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16367

I would but still am a bit concerned about the confusing 922r rules.

Robb Jensen
12-24-08, 06:18

Pay $200 to make it a short barreled shotgun on a Form 1 and 922r no longer applies. i.e. you can add a bigger mag and a collapsible stock.

Alpha Sierra
12-24-08, 10:58

Seems simple. You are replacing a foreign (Italian) part with an American one. That is always the safe direction to go, isn't it? Is there something I am missing?

Saginaw79
12-24-08, 11:51

You just have to replace enough parts for it to not apply as it becomes an 'american made' gun per the BATF when you do

On the Benelli its the tube, follower and magazine cap nut IIRC, all supplied by the American kit

Seems simple. You are replacing a foreign (Italian) part with an American one. That is always the safe direction to go, isn't it? Is there something I am missing?

Its a BS backdoor ban basically. It says any foreign made weapon cannot be imported unless its for 'sporting purposes', so no 'evil' configured semi-autos are allowed to be imported

All you do is replace 2 or 3 parts, and then its technically an american made gun so you can 'evil' it out

Alpha Sierra
12-24-08, 12:33
Its a BS backdoor ban basically. It says any foreign made weapon cannot be imported unless its for 'sporting purposes', so no 'evil' configured semi-autos are allowed to be imported

All you do is replace 2 or 3 parts, and then its technically an american made gun so you can 'evil' it out

OK, thanks. I see now that my understanding was right. If I had an M4 I'd be on that mag tube like a hobo on a ham sandwich.

Alaskapopo
01-10-09, 20:38
You just have to replace enough parts for it to not apply as it becomes an 'american made' gun per the BATF when you do

On the Benelli its the tube, follower and magazine cap nut IIRC, all supplied by the American kit

Actually you need to replace 4 or 5 parts last I checked according to BATFE on the M4 and there are not currently enough american made parts available. YOu can make it a short barreled shotgun or if you are an officer you can use it for LEO use and be excempt so long as you put it back to its 5 round capacity before you retire.
Pat