PDA

View Full Version : Revival of the M&P 9 1.0

m4brian
08-08-22, 10:11
This weekend I headed to the range to test out a newly fixed Star PD and run a PPS M1 through its paces. For some weird reason, and even thought I'm normally a DA/SA CZ/SIG shooter, I durg out my M&P 9 1.0. Dry fired a bit, and decided that I could 'be safe' with my largely stock MP9 with a Apex Sear. The Apex sear gives me a little takeup, a sort of rolling, but crisp break - hard to describe. I was a bit concerned with all the crap about MP 1.0 accuracy that I'd see a notable difference with my CZ P07 which is VERY accurate, but while there is a difference, it doesn't seem like that much. I also double tapped very well with it on dot torture. I'll probably just get a holster and drill with it, but I wonder what other mods I might do - not sure I want an Apex Flat trigger especially if it makes it 'too crisp and light'.

In any case, these guns aren't bad at all - I WILL get new sights.

mizer67
08-08-22, 10:21
I've owned three M&P 9mm 1.0's and not one was accurate at 25 yards. The worst one couldn't do better than 10" for 10 rounds. None was better than a 6" gun and that's being generous.

In 2022, there's just no reason to buy a striker fired polymer pistol and have to rebarrel to get it to perform. So many better options that shoot well out of the box.

Bret
08-08-22, 11:10
I've owned three M&P 9mm 1.0's and not one was accurate at 25 yards. The worst one couldn't do better than 10" for 10 rounds. None was better than a 6" gun and that's being generous.
In 2022, there's just no reason to buy a striker fired polymer pistol and have to rebarrel to get it to perform. So many better options that shoot well out of the box.
This is interesting. I've purchased 9mm and 10mm M&P 2.0's recently. Both are outstandingly accurate. I was surprised by this. Perhaps I just got lucky or perhaps S&W finally ironed out the issues. I'm glad I was late to the party.

m4brian
08-08-22, 11:33
SW did - they make excellently accurate guns NOW just like they always did.

For whatever reason the 1.0 version was reportedly a dog - I have NOT shot enough at distance or even shot enough to give a real assessment - I fired maybe a hundred rounds at 7/10 yards and saw no BIG difference than my CZ which I know is very accurate.

I should probably bench it where I can do so. But, I've never been that good at that.

If they prove not so hot. I wonder about scrapping them and buying a 2.0 or two to replace, OR going the APEX route, etc.

This thread is about what I should do with my 1.0s and not what others who don't own one should do - ditch, lose some bucks and rebuy a 2.0 or rebarrel, etc.

mizer67
08-08-22, 11:48
The 9mm version 1.0 was a flawed pistol w.r.t. accuracy and that was well documented at the time. The OP referenced the 1.0.

The 2.0, I'm not in tune with what all was changed, but don't believe they have the same issues.

GNXII
08-08-22, 12:51
There was definitely a “batch” of 1.0 guns that had meh accuracy. Nort sure if there were in .40 or 9MM. The factory corrected the issues pretty quickly and drove on.

m4brian
08-08-22, 13:18
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?97829-Recent-manufacture-M-amp-P-9-accuracy

It was the 9mm version and I remember reading it years back - then the MP went into the safe and I got into DA.

I actually like the beavertail and again, at close range I can double tap well. Just debating the merits of keeping at this point. BTW - watched a vid where a Glock user rents old M&Ps and they run for tens of thousands of rounds with no problems and only very minor parts replacement. Very durable and reliable guns.

czgunner
08-08-22, 14:25
I don't think it was all of the 1.0 pistols. Mine shoots as good as anything I have.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

WillBrink
08-08-22, 14:39
The 9mm version 1.0 was a flawed pistol w.r.t. accuracy and that was well documented at the time. The OP referenced the 1.0.

The 2.0, I'm not in tune with what all was changed, but don't believe they have the same issues.

The accuracy issue of the 1.0 9, was hit or miss, no pun intended. Some were acceptable for accuracy, some were not. Otherwise a reliable pistol with good ergos. With an Apex trigger kit, had a lot of 1911 owners finally jump ship due also offering a 1911 like thumb safety. Mine had acceptable accuracy. Nothing as good as my VP9, but acceptable for SD/HD. I kept the 1.0 with Apex as a back up to current primary, the VP9.

I briefly played with a recent gen m&P 9, seems like they have made real improvements on the triggers, but no range experience personally.

m4brian
08-08-22, 17:40
While the barrel fit on my MP9 is not quite as tight as other guns, the dwell time is nill. As soon as the barrel starts back with the slide, it drops. If you do this with a P07 its a light year before the barrel drops. I'll have to admit that my Glock dwell time MIGHT be more but not by much. I think there are a combination of issues to include dwell time.

I am hesitant to 'give up' on the 2 I own. I tested a MP 2.0 Compact in a local shop and I like my trigger and grip better (I stippled my own).

Let me revise - the dwell time is smaller than my hammer guns - My G19 and SW SF guns have a smaller dwell.

I do wonder what rebarrelling will do - but I'll shoot much more before doing it. The trigger with just the APEX sear is very good.

mizer67
08-08-22, 18:08
The accuracy issue of the 1.0 9, was hit or miss, no pun intended. Some were acceptable for accuracy, some were not. Otherwise a reliable pistol with good ergos. With an Apex trigger kit, had a lot of 1911 owners finally jump ship due also offering a 1911 like thumb safety. Mine had acceptable accuracy. Nothing as good as my VP9, but acceptable for SD/HD. I kept the 1.0 with Apex as a back up to current primary, the VP9.

I briefly played with a recent gen m&P 9, seems like they have made real improvements on the triggers, but no range experience personally.

I tend to have bad luck when it comes to handguns, but I really liked the M&P initially.

I liked it enough that when I read here on M4C at the time that the 5" M&Ps didn't have the same accuracy issues as the 4.25" guns, I quickly went out and bought one, which is how I ended up with three. Nope. Whole lotta nope. That gun was the 6" gun, but still not up to a "combat accurate" standard.

So rather than re-barrel them, I switched to Gen 4 Glocks and promptly needed to deal with BTF issues and inconsistent ejection. Which fortunately, was easier and less costly to fix.

Of course, I'm also a guy that eventually re-barreled my Glocks too (Gen 4) because I wanted more accuracy. As I've gotten older and a bit wiser I think, I would no longer do that. The market for striker fired pistols has moved on and there are too many good offerings that will do sub 3" at 25 yards now to consider it money well spent.

.45fan
08-09-22, 15:26
I sent mine to Doug at ATEi brand new out of the box and it shoots circles around any other gun I own.
He installed his action job, apex barrel (fit not drop in) and some serrations added to the top and side of slide, milled for an RMR and I haven't looked back. Still using it 7 years later as my 365 day edc.
I have an almost identical gun used for classes and match's, the only difference is the model of light and finish color, otherwise the are identical.

m4brian
08-09-22, 16:58
I did not see barrel fitting on their site for the MP.

Alex V
08-09-22, 18:15
I never had an accuracy issue with my Gen1 M&P9s.

Both have full Apex trigger kids and have each seen thousand of rounds. I recently put a Apex gunsmith fit barrel in the CORE one and it’s a tac driver.

Those two handguns have been my primary training guns for years.

.45fan
08-09-22, 18:31
I did not see barrel fitting on their site for the MP.I found these pages on their site. Its for gen 1 guns Apex barrel fitting and the GS fit barrel.

https://ateiguns.com/product/apex-barrel-fitting-for-mp-only/

https://ateiguns.com/product/apex-grade-gunsmith-fit-barrel-4-25-for-mp/

The barrel link says out of stock, so I would suggest calling them to see if they can order one for you.
If not, here is a link to the apex site, buy it yourself and have ATEi install it.

https://www.apextactical.com/apex-grade-9mm-gunsmith-fit-barrels-for-m-p

m4brian
08-09-22, 19:59
Thanks

.45fan
08-09-22, 20:15
Glad to help!

MarshallDodge
08-10-22, 01:33
I still have an M&P 1.0 in 40 that I put a bunch of rounds through. Back then I was getting tons of free 40 brass and loading it for $80/K. The striker failed early but S&W upgraded them later on. Accuracy is very good.

Sometime after that I received a 1.0 9mm in a trade but didn't hang on to it very long. It had one range day when I had it, and shot much better with 124 grain bullets than 115. Julie G said she had no accuracy issues but she was running a 147 grain bullet in competition.

vicious_cb
08-10-22, 02:33
M&P 1.0 with an Apex kit beats out any M&P 2.0 trigger kit or Glock trigger kit out there. Not sure why they couldnt just fix the early unlocking issue with the 1.0 barrel and keep the 1.0 trigger feel.

m4brian
08-10-22, 06:19
I think I like the frame better. I can bet up on the beavertail well. I need to shoot mine MUCH more to get a better sense of the accuracy, then decide on a barrel. The Apex Grade is easy to fit and if you watch their vids it deals not just with the slide/barrel, but the dwell time which is critical. My APEX sear has it where there is takeup, then a crisp break and not too much OT, so I'm happy for now as I may want to carry these also, and don't need a match no creep trigger anyway. The curve doesn't bother me and I can always trick one out that way.

From searches, there are plenty of longevity and reliability examples. I 'heard' that the 2.0 has the exposed steel strip in front as an imbed to make the frame more rigid up front - I don't really get it - the 1.0 frame is plenty robust.

Bret
08-10-22, 07:27
it deals not just with the slide/barrel, but the dwell time which is critical.
For rifles the dwell time is the amount of time that the bullet spends between the gas port and the muzzle. It's obviously a different definition. Would you please explain to me how this applies to pistols.

Alex V
08-10-22, 09:04
I found these pages on their site. Its for gen 1 guns Apex barrel fitting and the GS fit barrel.

https://ateiguns.com/product/apex-barrel-fitting-for-mp-only/

https://ateiguns.com/product/apex-grade-gunsmith-fit-barrel-4-25-for-mp/

The barrel link says out of stock, so I would suggest calling them to see if they can order one for you.
If not, here is a link to the apex site, buy it yourself and have ATEi install it.

https://www.apextactical.com/apex-grade-9mm-gunsmith-fit-barrels-for-m-p

$50 isn't the end of the world, but it took me barely any time at all to fit the barrel myself. Why send it away and wait when you can do it yourself?

.45fan
08-10-22, 09:42
$50 isn't the end of the world, but it took me barely any time at all to fit the barrel myself. Why send it away and wait when you can do it yourself?I live local so no shipping involved. When I had mine done, it was already there for other work, so I had them do everything.

m4brian
08-10-22, 10:57
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKz9QarKa80

I think they discuss dwell time in this video.

If the barrel drops immediately as the slide move back in a browning locked breech design, the unlocking part happens BEFORE the bullet exits - which of course is not good for accuracy. If it travels further and out of the barrel PRIOR to the barrel dropping AND the lockup is solid, that is optimum.

If you pull the slide back on a gun, you can get a hint at the dwell time. Do this on a CZ P07/09 and see how long it goes BEFORE the barrel drops. Long dwell = more stability.

IF you pick up a MP9 it seems to drop almost immediately. Are their engineers stupid? You decide.

Bret
08-10-22, 11:26
That was an excellent video. Thanks for the link.

m4brian
08-10-22, 11:33
Roger - NP. "Match Grade" drop in barrels generally don't do this - unless they say so - Apex does.

JB2000
08-13-22, 23:02
I kept my 1.9 M&P, added night sights, the Apex duty/carry kit, Apex aluminum trigger and Apex sear reset thingy. The gun shoots well and is more accurate than me. The only other thing I might do is add a threaded barrel and comp. Faxon had theirs on a Black Friday sale last year and I was tempted but didn’t.