PDA

View Full Version : Nuclear Fusion Breakthrough Confirmed: California Team Achieved Ignition

tn1911
08-12-22, 17:31
https://www.newsweek.com/nuclear-fusion-energy-milestone-ignition-confirmed-california-1733238

major breakthrough in nuclear fusion has been confirmed a year after it was achieved at a laboratory in California.

Researchers at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory's (LLNL's) National Ignition Facility (NIF) recorded the first case of ignition on August 8, 2021, the results of which have now been published in three peer-reviewed papers.

Straight Shooter
08-12-22, 17:43
Ive heard this about 10 times in the last couple decades. I HOPE its true this time, we'll see.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-12-22, 18:18
This is always been the promise of limitless basically free energy. It would be interesting to live in a world that energy production is not a major Geo political force. Of course on the domestic front it would be interesting to find out what the new rationale for trying to control our lives would be.

Somehow I think that I will never fly in a Celera 500 L powered by fusion energy.

ABNAK
08-12-22, 18:46
There has GOT to be a downside. There is no free lunch.

gsd2053
08-12-22, 21:40
If true, shits about to get real.

Det-Sog
08-12-22, 21:56
Nothing to see here. The "green energy - no nukes" psychos will make sure this never gains traction. Shut up and go pay $75K for your disposable electric clown car.

kiwi57
08-12-22, 22:03
Ive heard this about 10 times in the last couple decades. I HOPE its true this time, we'll see.

We figured this out in Utah over 30 years ago, in a rinky-dink campus lab no less. This seems too complicated.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-12-22, 23:21
We figured this out in Utah over 30 years ago, in a rinky-dink campus lab no less. This seems too complicated.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Ponds Flieschman??? IIRC? Those were heady days. Free energy and Hillary Clinton was going to give us free health care. Beer and honey, no cares or worries in my life time….. ?

SteyrAUG
08-13-22, 01:10
There has GOT to be a downside. There is no free lunch.

By the time we create anything viable (IF) we will have to first pay off decades of R&D. Also this is the first time we've ever even gotten an ignition. That is a long way from "fire it up at will" and make sure it is both self sustaining and doesn't run away on us. If you think our journey with fission was long and costly, you haven't seen anything yet.

BUT...if they pull it off and do it correctly, it will be quite a thing. Of course that was true with fission reactors if we simply respected them and put in real world safeguards rather than feel good safeguards. Fission reactors could have been powering the grid for nickels on the dollar for the last 40 years.

kirkland
08-13-22, 09:24
By the time we create anything viable (IF) we will have to first pay off decades of R&D. Also this is the first time we've ever even gotten an ignition. That is a long way from "fire it up at will" and make sure it is both self sustaining and doesn't run away on us. If you think our journey with fission was long and costly, you haven't seen anything yet.

BUT...if they pull it off and do it correctly, it will be quite a thing. Of course that was true with fission reactors if we simply respected them and put in real world safeguards rather than feel good safeguards. Fission reactors could have been powering the grid for nickels on the dollar for the last 40 years.

The fact that we have all these politicians and activists running around like chickens with their heads cut off screaming about clean energy, yet they're not pushing to build more fission reactors, is astonishing. That. Is. The. Solution. It's been here for decades yet they keep crying about not-solutions like wind and solar and lecturing us about saving the environment while they fly around in their private jets, and shut down domestic oil production in favor of purchasing foreign oil which has to be sent over on ships that burn thousands of gallons of fuel per hour.

WillBrink
08-13-22, 09:50
Fusion has been a decade away for like 50 years now, so I'm passed getting too excited about "breakthroughs" on that tech. I do keep an eye on it, but until they have a proof of concept unit working as intended, I'm just not excited. I have read a few opinions from smart people who claim it's a pipe dream and will never exist. I'm in the "never say never" camp as that was said about man flying, going to the moon, etc, but I do keep it in mind.

WillBrink
08-13-22, 10:00

Agreed, but the pay off (potentially...) will also make fission look like a total waste of time, even though I think we should be building fission plants right now.

Agreed again, but there's forces that have no interest in that ever happening. The US could be totally energy independent with mixture of tech, with fission the central part of that, which would be the most effective and important thing we could do for our national security. The ME could go back to the stone ages for all we care, the Russians, Chinese, etc could have it, deal wit it, suffer the BS of the region, and we could focus on becoming the nation we could be and should be.

ryr8828
08-13-22, 11:04
Does this mean the Upside Down is about to be unleashed?

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-13-22, 11:24
You do wonder if the lack of advanced civilizations is because of some calculation that we all get wrong before we flip the switch….

Forbidden Planet anyone? Great movie.

markm
08-13-22, 11:25
Of course on the domestic front it would be interesting to find out what the new rationale for trying to control our lives would be.

This 100%

HKGuns
08-13-22, 11:41
Touching it off for the first time will create a singularity and suck us all into a black hole.

All the black holes in the universe were created by civilizations experimenting with Fusion.

georgeib
08-13-22, 11:50
Touching it off for the first time will create a singularity and suck us all into a black hole.

All the black holes in the universe were created by civilizations experimenting with Fusion.

Please let this be true!

Ron3
08-13-22, 11:57

What's the downside to fusion, though?

tn1911
08-13-22, 12:45
What's the downside to fusion, though?

Apparently demogorgons...

lysander
08-14-22, 16:18

You do realize there are quite a few nuclear fusion plants all ready "touched off", and would not be the first time we have initiated a fusion reaction.

In fact, black holes are formed when fusion plants are shut down, not started.

HKGuns
08-15-22, 20:02
You do realize there are quite a few nuclear fusion plants all ready "touched off", and would not be the first time we have initiated a fusion reaction.

In fact, black holes are formed when fusion plants are shut down, not started.

Clearly you don’t get humor when you read it.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-22-22, 16:53
And now they can’t replicate it…

https://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-achieved-self-sustaining-nuclear-fusion-but-now-they-cant-replicate-it