PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy of a 16" Carbine

Tang419
12-22-08, 03:11
What kind of accuracy are you getting, with factory and with pet handloads with a 16" barrel ? Is it possible to get varminter accuracy without a bull barrel and free floated handguard ?

While we are on this subject, is a bull or heavy barrel, really needed to get the upmost accuracy out of a gun, or does it really shine when a lot of rounds are going to be fired ?

Thanks !

Iraqgunz
12-22-08, 03:24
Barrel length does not dictate accuracy. It is a combination of the weapon, ammo and the shooter. I watched the instructor in my SPR Sniper Course engage targets using a POF .308 carbine with a 12" out to 700 yds. He reportedly made shots out to 1000yds with the same weapon though I did not see it so I can only relate it. He is a military trained sniper/ high angle shooter and definitely knows what he is doing.

What kind of accuracy are you getting, with factory and with pet handloads with a 16" barrel ? Is it possible to get varminter accuracy without a bull barrel and free floated handguard ?

While we are on this subject, is a bull or heavy barrel, really needed to get the upmost accuracy out of a gun, or does it really shine when a lot of rounds are going to be fired ?

Thanks !

Tang419
12-22-08, 03:28
Thanks for the speedy reply.

I'm basically wanting to know if you can achieve 1/2" or better groups at 100yds, with a standard barrel carbine. Such as my M&P15A , or even a High Standard.

Iraqgunz
12-22-08, 03:44
Honestly I doubt it, but that's just an opinion. I would contact S&W and ask if they have done any such testing just to see where the baseline is.

I'm basically wanting to know if you can achieve 1/2" or better groups at 100yds, with a standard barrel carbine. Such as my M&P15A , or even a High Standard.

ghideon
12-22-08, 06:11

Half inch groups on either of my varmint rifles (20inch bull barrel DPMS or 18inch Bushy HBAR) with handloads are considered very good days. It's more like 3/4 MOA at 100 yards for the first set of groups. You may have your sights set too high, but I am just a mediocre shooter.

geohans
12-22-08, 08:18
short answer is no; long answer is you could get lucky and have a barrel capable of that, but an off the rack oem chromelined barrel could not be expected to get under 1in even with the very best ammo/trigger.

Molon
12-22-08, 09:49

That's not going to happen. Contrary to some of the nonsense you may have read on the internet, the only way that you are going to get 0.5 MOA groups from a semi-auto AR-15 is by using a match grade barrel (usually stainless steel) and match grade ammunition. Even then it can be quite difficult.

Aray
12-22-08, 10:47
That's not going to happen. Contrary to some of the nonsense you may have read on the internet, the only way that you are going to get 0.5 MOA groups from a semi-auto AR-15 is by using a match grade barrel (usually stainless steel) and match grade ammunition. Even then it can be quite difficult.

My experience is this, it is nearly impossible to attain the accuracy of the gun club cowboy or the internet ninja. They generally have 4 holes touching at 400m with cheap factory ammo and a Tasco on top. :rolleyes:

St.Michael
12-22-08, 10:54
I am wondering all of the same things you are man. I have a 16 inch too and really am looking forward to taking it all the way out.

Do you guys think at 300 yards you can at least get a 3 to 5 moa with a standard barrel and ammo using a free float barrel and a bi pod? I will have to test it and post to see what I get. I am a brand new long distance shooter so I am really excited to see what I can pull out of it.

thetallengineer
12-22-08, 11:37
I am wondering all of the same things you are man. I have a 16 inch too and really am looking forward to taking it all the way out.

Do you guys think at 300 yards you can at least get a 3 to 5 moa with a standard barrel and ammo using a free float barrel and a bi pod? I will have to test it and post to see what I get. I am a brand new long distance shooter so I am really excited to see what I can pull out of it.

Do you mean 3 - 5" groups at 300 yds or 3- 5 MOA which would be ~9 - 15" groups at 300 yards.

If you want chrome lined barrel and a good chance of a 1 MOA or slightly better (assuming you the shooter are capable and using good ammo etc), then the Noveske N4 is probably your best bet.

St.Michael
12-22-08, 12:07
Do you mean 3 - 5" groups at 300 yds or 3- 5 MOA which would be ~9 - 15" groups at 300 yards.

If you want chrome lined barrel and a good chance of a 1 MOA or slightly better (assuming you the shooter are capable and using good ammo etc), then the Noveske N4 is probably your best bet.

WHoops sorry man, I meant 3 to 5 inches. LOL

Tang419
12-22-08, 12:22
Thanks guys

seb5
12-22-08, 19:42
My Noveske 16.1 with match ammo will stay MOA with me out to 300 regularly. 400 , sometimes. At 500 I'm generally getting spreading to around 1.5-2 MOA. I haven't had a chance to launch bullets from it any further but I can't imagine it would get a whole lot worse by adding another hundred or 2. I'm not a bad shot by most of my peers but keep in mind these are witnessed real world groups. I'm pretty happy with them.

I also replaced the trigger, use a bipod and mounted a NightForce 2.5-10 in a Larue mount on the rifle.

St.Michael
12-22-08, 20:39
yea glad im not the only one with a bipod on a 16 inch. you got any pictures? lol

seb5
12-22-08, 21:23
I'll take a few tomorrow. My 308 Remington has a barely 20" tube and gets to 1000 without issues. I've got other carbines but none that shoot like the Noveske. I used to use a 20"AR as a duty rifle and attended my first sniper school with it. Between the Kreiger and the JP trigger it would shoot. I miss that rifle but like the shorter is better mentality when it comes to rifles. For me there isn't a down side to a 16" gun out to 500 anyway.